Uninstall Help

I'm new to this program and some of the scripting that it may require. I'm using this to update several computers, and I'm looking for how to create a script to uninstall the current antivirus software before installing a new one.

I know I can retrieve the current program using the getAntiVirusProduct() condition, and I've found a command that can uninstall it from the command line:

wmic product where name="AntiVirusProduct" call uninstall.

My problem is that I'm not sure how to put this into a script or batch or some other form that WPI can use. I'm 100% sure this is simple, but I haven't been able to find an example and don't know how. Thanks in advance for any help.

It depends on where I'm at. It's not just one computer. It depends on what that particular person installed.

My larger question is how to do the scripting. For example, how can I use the getAntiVirusProduct() and put the result in a variable to use with another command. My background is in procedural programming and sql databases, but scripting in this form is new. Even if I could write a javascript file, I wouldn't know how to run it from WPI.

Ah, well, then that might be difficult, that is, if you want to automate it completely. However, if you were looking to just initiate the uninstall process and you can step through the rest of the way manually, you might be able to write a script that would iterate through the uninstall keys in the registry, when it found one that had 'Antivirus' or whatever in it, execute the uninstallation string (which is typically found in the registry as well). I would look for something VBScript-based, since you might not be always working with something that has the current iteration of PowerShell installed.

Some psuedocode:

Iterate through all subkeys of HKLM\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\ (and the 32-bit equivalent)

For each key, look for AV text string in the Displayname value. If string matches criteria, then execute what's contained in the 'UninstallString' value.

Examples:

HKLM\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\blah (64-bit Windows)

or

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\blah (32-bit Windows)

Then, in WPI, you would simply call the script as part of your task steps.

The only other thing I could recommend is maybe looking at a utility that will remove these apps for you (assisted, or no): http://www.ghacks.net/2009/04/29/antivirus-software-uninstaller-appremover/

Edited by uphold2001

That's helpful, but sparks a couple more questions. First, how do I call the vbscript from WPI. I've never actually written a stand-alone vbscript. I assume I would just save it as a specific filetype, drop it in the Install folder, and point the WPI command to that file. Is that close?

Secondly, since getAntiVirusProduct() will return the name of the product and I have a command that will use that name to call the uninstaller from the command line, is there a way to use what is returned by getAntiVirusProduct() in a second command?

Is that clear? Can I run a command with getAntiVirusProduct(), store that result, and then use it in the next command that runs my uninstaller?

Actually, you can forget that it's uninstalling anything. I really just need to know how to use the response from the getAntiVirusProduct() call in a command (either embedded in a single command or somehow passed to a second command.

getAntivirusProduct

Will return the name of Antivirus installed on the computer using Configuration and Dependencies, if we change the line 1092 inside: configwizard.js

HandleConditionsSelectionMenu(!InsertCondValues ? "getAntiVirusProduct()" : 'getAntiVirusProduct()=="'+getAntiVirusProduct()+'"');

Regards

Edited by myselfidem

Which is it? Do they have official non-profit status?

3a. Non-profit and charity organizations are free to use it.

3b. Educational institutions can get discount licenses

from Kelsenellenelvian@gmail.com

WPIW License.

1. Redistribution =

You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works

thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or

Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:

1a. You must give any other recipients of

the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License.

1b. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent

notices stating that you changed the files.

1c. Modifications can be posted

and shared at: MSFN\WPIW Forum Section. (www.msfn.org)

1d. Please, if you feel especially proud of your

modifications or improvements send a

copy with the changes noted to Kelsenellenelvian@gmail.com.

3. WPIW is not free for Business or Corporate use.

3a. Non-profit and charity organizations are free to use it.

3b. Educational institutions can get discount licenses

from Kelsenellenelvian@gmail.com

4. Any Business or Corporation that wishes to use

WPIW may purchase a license at the price of $100 USD.

4a. Please contact Kelsenellenelvian at kelsenellenelvian@gmail.com

5. WPIW is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages,

direct or consequential, which may result from the use of WPIW.