Win8PE SE

ChrisR

Edit: you win Lancelot ;), you press the button before, I did not see your answer

Goal is absolutely opposite, with letting you say final words :thumbup

@steve6375

comparing projects will let you figure out better:

Win7PE SE is improved for a long while, so downloading .zip distribution will work ok without requiring any update, maturity..

Wiin8PE SE is currently at verrrry hot development stage, nearly everyday a new update, either critical, or very helpful to run frequent applications, or soon preventing new wrong (not official) source,

you can catch fast going development story here http://theoven.org/index.php?board=29.0 ..

Wiin8PESE is nearly 1 month baby, even very mature today, I understand Chris would not like to update a new zip distribution everyday, before coming to a more stable stage, which seems soon...

For people who need to catch hot development, Win7PESE Win8PESE even Gena , using Update XXXX (Exact and Secure) is the only safe , secure way,

yes first time download take some time, but only first time, subsequent downloads shorter....

As far as I am aware, 82 and 80 numbers has no relation to project or things we talked about, but only builder (wb) version, it is stable number,

ex:

like you use cmd.exe on XP, cmd.exe version 5.1, 2k3 etc... cmd.exe version 5.2 , Win7SP1 cmd.exe version 6.1 ... has no relation to a batch version you are using. :whistle:

Edited by Lancelot_Real

So are you saying that whenever a new WinBuilder Project is downloaded and launched, the first thing a user should do is click on the Download button to get the latest version and maybe change option to Minimum/Recommended/Complete?

Normally Not, not necessarily, but as the project is very young there have been many changes but I hope it is rather not too bad ;)

But it is a good stuff to get the latest improvements.

I have to publish a new version with all the fixes and improvements, but each time, a new thing comes, like MountPEmedia, check RTM version ;) and I wishes it as stable as possible.

I hope to do it really soon.

You are right on Update WinPE SE (Exact and Secure) it was not there at the beginning.

It seems to download a lot of files the first time it is run

There have been many changes indeed, also due to a complete rewrite of the macro library by Lancelot, more stable, compatible PE1,2,.,4 and with a lot of usefull new macro. Transparent for users and really useful for developers.

Edited by ChrisR

Hello ChrisR, Kullenen_Ask, JFX, Lancelot_Real and other member of this forum,

Thanks ChrisR for your very good work ;-)

Thanks to the team who help ChrisR ;-)

If i can help you to progress in your work, no problem ;-)

I come back, Ludovici from Bootland (Reboot.pro)

Merci ChrisR pour ton travail, si je peux t'aider à quoi que ce soit n'hésite pas ;-)

Je suis de retour, ludovici from Bootland (Reboot.pro)

One more Q please

I am making an ISO, but booting via grub4dos from a USB stick containing just the ISO. How would I include apps so that PStart will list them.

I tried adding the exe to the Pstart script form and I can get the app to appear on the Desktop and in the Start Menu and it runs from there - however, the PStart,xml is not compiled with the app in it and so the entry is not listed in the Pstart form when launched.

Salut Ludo,

Ca fait plaisir de te voir, le temps passent mais les passions, passe temps ne se perdent pas.

Je suis sûr que ton ami Kullenen_Ask a déjà son Win8PE multimedia.

Mais faute de moteur qui lui convienne, il le construit manuellement, dommage pour le partage.

Avec JFX, Lancelot, Galapo nous avons une équipe gagnante pour construire cette base.

J'ai, Nous avons passé beaucoup de temps ce mois sur Win8PE et La base devient de plus en plus stable de jour en jour.

Je ne trouverais pas toujours autant de temps pour la suite.

Ensuite, il n'y a rien d'urgent pour ajouter de nouveaux composants (IE10, Audio ...)

Sachant que beaucoup de script Win7PeSe doivent être compatible (VC++, paint, Calc, Photo Viewer...)

N'hésite pas, a nous rejoindre sur TheOven.org pour partager.

PS: Nothing secret, just a small French exchange

@Steve

I answer you soon about pstart in ISO boot.

I seem to be having problems with Win8PESE.ini now. I thought that all that was required was to put the path to the ISO in this file and put it in the root of the USB drive - however, this does not seem to work and I get the yellow warning triangle on the Desktop UNLESS I actually build the ISO with the path set in Finals - Create ISO as well.??

I seem to be having problems with Win8PESE.ini now. I thought that all that was required was to put the path to the ISO in this file and put it in the root of the USB drive - however, this does not seem to work and I get the yellow warning triangle on the Desktop UNLESS I actually build the ISO with the path set in Finals - Create ISO as well.??

Oups :blushing: I better understand your concerns. Thank you for having insisted on MountPEmedia :thumbup

There has been a missed on CDDrive_X_Y.script during the recent synchronization between Win7PESE and WIN8PESE.

This shall be corrected (MountPEmedia sought the Win7PESE.ini file instead of Win8...)

CdDrive - X: - Y: v16 is on server

to put on .\Projects\Win8PESE\Build folder or "Update Win8PE SE (Exact and Secure)"

Edited by ChrisR

As a side note, a possible replacement for pstart has been found/proposed by ericgl:

available in both 32 and 64 bit.

Yep, TBlauncher from Terabyte Unlimited available in both architecture. An alternative to the very good Pstart, I have not tested.

However no problem here for 32 bits Pstart in Win8(7)PESE with the great JFX's Wow64 plugin. It provides support for running 32bit programs in a 64bit environment.

I am making an ISO, but booting via grub4dos from a USB stick containing just the ISO. How would I include apps so that PStart will list them.

I tried adding the exe to the Pstart script form and I can get the app to appear on the Desktop and in the Start Menu and it runs from there - however, the PStart,xml is not compiled with the app in it and so the entry is not listed in the Pstart form when launched.

I see what you mean ;) with the correction of CDDrive_X_Y.script, it should already be better.

PStart is one of the first plugin I've written. It would need a refresh for the ISO Boot.

Currently, It is not intended for the ISO boot but it works well with both CopyToUSB plugin in Write media folder.

With the folder ISO\WIM directly copied on USB key, disk.

[boot]

[efi] (x64]

[Programs]

[sources]

|-- boot.wim

BOOTMGR

CdUsb.y

menu.lst (title Win8PESE | chainloader /BOOTMGR)

In this case PStart.xml can be created with relative links before building in Source folder (button) or after, in programs folder if writable media.

For ISO Boot, I write it in my todo, A small PStartLauncher should do the trick.

With a research of PStart.exe at the root (or path: root - .\pstart - .\programs) of a ready drive.

Wimb does a trick like this I believe in MakePE3.

ps: too bad that he does not make an evolution for Win7 SP1,but I understand that he may prefer W7 VHD compact.

Edit: I have an old program cdusb.exe (it search for CdUsb.Y file for remount the USB/CD drive on Y:). With some small editing and an improvement of PStart plugin, it should do the trick.

I look next week if I have some time.

Edited by ChrisR

Did you have time to try the ISO boot with the CDDrive_X_Y.script corrected.

I would look at your tutorial, but it's late here now zzzz::::::

Here a batch that I use _mksiofs_ISOBoot.cmd for testing easily the ISO Boot in VMware by changing the ISO folder.

::Set ISODir=

Set ISODir=ISODir

::Set ISODir=IMAGE\WINPE

MakeNewISO_for_ISOBootTest.7z

To put in ISO folder next to the ISO and Win8PESE.ini.

Feel free to modify it or to improve it for me ;)

Did you have time to try the ISO boot with the CDDrive_X_Y.script corrected.

I would look at your tutorial, but it's late here now zzzz::::::

Here a batch that I use _mksiofs_ISOBoot.cmd for testing easily the ISO Boot in VMware by changing the ISO folder.

::Set ISODir=

Set ISODir=ISODir

::Set ISODir=IMAGE\WINPE

MakeNewISO_for_ISOBootTest.7z

To put in ISO folder next to the ISO and Win8PESE.ini.

Feel free to modify it or to improve it for me ;)

Will try tomorrow - zzzzzz too!

Thanks for looking at these issues - I am writing a Tutorial here, but found these issues and so I will wait until they are fixed. Please feel free to comment on the Tutorial if you get time.

Nice Tutorial, some comments:

-

You forgot to give Home Page to Win8PE SE http://theoven.org/index.php?board=29.0 , and it will be nice you underline end users open topics for their related problems on Win8PE SE section.

current msfn page is mainly an announcement with simple (short) ask/report add/fix events for msfn users

It will also be easier and tidier you open a topic at http://theoven.org/index.php?board=29.0 like a topic name "steve6375 Win8PESE tutorial" so we can feedback more :thumbup

-

Following your tutorial gave me an idea to add a feature to "Update Win8PE SE (Exact and Secure)" that will result less time for first usage to whom following your tutorial. But in time... :thumbup

Maybe later more on a "steve6375 Win8PESE tutorial" topic, things goes more specialized than current topic lighter goals.

Portable Launchers does not take my attention, I had used them but found not flexible enough to me, personal taste,

aside I like them and find useful since provides something ready to use to end users,

besides Flexibility always does take my attention

We have

"Portable Finder CMD"

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=370

that gives maximum flexibility with some simple .cmd knowledge

I just added %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% tip :whistle::thumbup