Personal Network

jckylen

I looked around and couldn't find anything like this so I figured this might be an ok spot to get some input.

I've been working in IT for a few years and never really wanted to build "my own" network but with all the changes going on with Windows I want to put something together for myself. I plan to use a couple of beefy PCs with plenty of drive space and memory to build Win2012 servers hosting VM's to build out my environment. I intend to put together at least a DC, a SharePoint server, a standard web server, and a couple of other servers. My problem is when doing it for a business the physical environment is different that when I'm doing here at home. I will be using a standard ISP which means no dedicated IP, firewalls, routers, exchange servers, etc. so I'm looking for any suggestions anyone might have.

I have considered using Windows Server Essentials or even a copy of Small Buisness Server (yes I know its a dead product) but I want to get working just a little ahead of my employers plans. I figure to use Server 2012 Standard - set up as a DC and Hyper-V host. The second drive in the system will be set up to hold the Hyper-V systems. So if you think this sounds like a fun challange and want to make some suggestions please feel free. I will try to bounce back in and keep this updated as I move forward letting my trial and errors go out to see what people think but I wouldn't mind any suggestions. Oh ya, one of my end plans is to make this available outside the house so I know I'll end up registering a domain, then linking that domain to one of the dynamic DNS sevices so the changing IP address wont kill me. Haven't even decided on a name or what extension (.com, .net, .org, or .name?) so feel free to offer a few even to that area.

Thanks for any advice anyone wants to give.

Just to warn you, if your company is using a residential plan, running a server is probably against the TOS. They should look into getting one of the lower tier business packages. The increase in price per month usually includes a static IP, ability to run a server and priority service (vs what residential lines get) in case of outage or other interruption.

@Trip, I think you read that wrong. I read it that he wants to set up a network at home of his own just to get some practice prior to having to do similar things at work. He said he knows about some of the differences, such as dedicated IP at work and not at home, etc

Cheers and Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Wow - time flies when you're having fun. I did want to say that I did check with my ISP and they stated that as long as I'm not trying to run a business and kept things "within reasonable use" they didn't have an issue with what I was trying to do. I want to play with various features that my employer doesn't want to implent, find a few things out about things like SharePoint 2010 and other software packages that you really need to build stuff out with. I rent half a house and the other person also has their own internet connection and wants to use this to help with their support work they also do. My goal with this buildout is to learn those things that I have been able to take for granted with employers who have offered great resources to let me build full test and development networks within my operational network. So qualifying my desire, I want to learn what it would be to build out from the ground up - to start with only a connection and a few pieces of equipment. This is the same thing I've talked to many people about doing and I just want to go a little more over the top than the standard home user.

Here's what I've got in mind:

HP w/250gb (c:) & 24gb RAM - Loaded w/Server 2012 Standard & HyperV

2tb (d:) - Server 2012 Standard DC w/DHCP & DNS

Server 2012 Standard w/SQL & SharePoint

Windows 8 Pro

Windows 7 Pro

Dell w/Server 2008 R2 acting as a web server w/various content

Add to that a laptop (or two) and desktop running Win7 Enterprise

Still have to pick a domain name to register and set up a Dynamic DNS so I can let the IP change and still get back to it. Picked up a new TP-Link w/built in support for Dynamic DNS so I'm ready to start. Thanks to those who read and commented and anyone else who wants to comment, feel free. I can always take a suggestion to see if I can learn more.