Create Image of hard drive

mike13

I am running Windows 8 Pro. I recently used that Windows 7 File Recovery program within Win. 8 to create an Image of my entire "C" drive to a Seagate external hard drive. At the beginning I was told that about 61 Gig of space was required. That made sense because there is about 60 Gig of info. on the hard drive including the operating system. Everything went fine, I even created the RESTORE disc. at the end of the instructions. HOWEVER...if I look at the contents of the Seagate external hard drive I see a folder called WindowsImageBackup. That I was expecting. But if I right click on that folder, and choose PROPERTIES, there is only 16 bytes of info. there. I was expecting about 60 Gig. If I left click on that folder, I see another folder / file called Mike-PC.

If I right click on that, and choose Properties, I see the same 16 bytes. Is this normal, or am I missing something. The IMAGE took about 40 minutes, so it was doing something. If I right click on the Seagate hard drive, I can see that about 60 Gig. of space was used, so that seems correct, but why can I not see anything in either of those folders ?? Thanks, Mike

Dumb questions. WHAT "Windows 7 File Recovery program"? Where did it come from? Is it supposed to function correctly when run on Windows 8? Says who? Has that been proven?

Sorry if these seem to be obvious questions, but I'm not running Windows 8.

Cheers and Regards

No items match your search.

:(

I'm running Windows7 x64 Ultimate which I've slightly modded, so I thought I might have removed this and didn't remember. (It was over a year ago.) So I tried my wife's laptop with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium straight from Dell with the same result. I also tried searching my system with Everything - http://www.voidtools.com/ with the same result. I also Googled the phrase "WINDOWS 7 FILE RECOVERY" and the only MS link that came up on the first page of results was this one - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Recover-lost-or-deleted-files. So I'm very confused and have no idea what you are talking about.

Cheers and Regards

MAVERICKS CHOICE----The two files I see, do not have any file extensions. The main Folder / File I see is called "WindowsImageBackup" if I left click on that Folder / file, I get "Mike-PC"

that is it. If I right click on either file, and choose Properties, I only see 16 bytes. But as I said before...I can see there is about 60 + Gig used of the Seagate Hard Drive. Mike

MAVERICKS CHOICE----The two files I see, do not have any file extensions. The main Folder / File I see is called "WindowsImageBackup" if I left click on that Folder / file, I get "Mike-PC"

that is it. If I right click on either file, and choose Properties, I only see 16 bytes. But as I said before...I can see there is about 60 + Gig used of the Seagate Hard Drive. Mike

Ok, sorry if you go into Control panel/Folder options/View, then un tick "hide extensions for known file types" then see what you come up with?

Thanks max! At least now I know I'm not nuts!

Cheers and Regards

Hi bphlpt---I am reading about you not seeing that Windows 7 File Recovery on your computer, so I set up one of my other computers that does have Windows 7 on it.

I ALSO do NOT see that program in Control Panel. However if you type sdclt in the cmd or run box as maxXPsoft has suggested below, you will the the backup and restore

program. It is NOT called Windows 7 File Recovery, but it looks like the same program. Hope this helps. Mike

Ok, sorry if you go into Control panel/Folder options/View, then un tick "hide extensions for known file types" then see what you come up with?

Tried that, no difference. So I went back and RE-TICKED that item.

Just for the heck of it, I copied four other folders from my hard drive to the Seagate external drive. I copied, MY FAVORITES, MY DOCUMENTS, MY MUSIC, AND MY PICTURES. If I then look at

those folders, I CAN see the contents of THOSE Folders. The MY DOCUMENTS folder had 9 Gig of info. and the others have a couple hundred Mb. in each of them. It must have something to do with the way Windows makes that WindowsImageBackup folder. Question----Have any of you guys used that program ? IF so, do you SEE the contents of YOUR folders? Or is it just me. Thanks again, Mike.