System Preparation tool 3.14 help?

Thats working as intended, when you do a sysprep generalize you are essentially removing all profiles, security information and drivers. Sysprep is used when you want to create a base install image that will support multiple machines that you are going to image from that base install. If you want to use an unattended file for specific users thats possible too. Why are you wanting to use sysprep for in the first place?

Thats working as intended, when you do a sysprep generalize you are essentially removing all profiles, security information and drivers. Sysprep is used when you want to create a base install image that will support multiple machines that you are going to image from that base install. If you want to use an unattended file for specific users thats possible too. Why are you wanting to use sysprep for in the first place?

I only want use sysprep for specific users because I made some settings for that user. I do not want create new user. Could you tell me how to do that? Thank you!

Not by using sysprep. As stated, sysprep removes ALL user profiles. That is its purpose, to leave only default and administrator. There is no way I know of to force it to keep any other user profile. At first install, since there are no users defined, it will then create a new user, as you have seen.

Cheers and Regards

Not by using sysprep. As stated, sysprep removes ALL user profiles. That is its purpose, to leave only default and administrator. There is no way I know of to force it to keep any other user profile. At first install, since there are no users defined, it will then create a new user, as you have seen.

Sysprep does not remove any user profiles. It disables the Administrator account. If you create a user account in Audit Mode (for example) and the sysprep /OOBE, you'll create your new account, etc. But if you choose to log out of Windows, the other account will be available for you to select.

OOBE will always request to create a user account, as that is what it is designed to do. If you don't want to create a user account, you'll have to research on how to do the customizations and then create the new user account using an XML file, and use the CopyProfile function.

What are the "settings" you made? It is possible they can be done with the XML as well.

Sysprep does not remove any user profiles. It disables the Administrator account. If you create a user account in Audit Mode (for example) and the sysprep /OOBE, you'll create your new account, etc. But if you choose to log out of Windows, the other account will be available for you to select.

OOBE will always request to create a user account, as that is what it is designed to do. If you don't want to create a user account, you'll have to research on how to do the customizations and then create the new user account using an XML file, and use the CopyProfile function.

What are the "settings" you made? It is possible they can be done with the XML as well.

Thank you. It's impossible use user I created before. But some tool chinese can do I wrote above (but only with Windows 7).

• 3 weeks later...

So, if I'm right, to have a windows 8 image with all updates and programs i want in it i should:

- use a VM software to mount the image and install it

- run sysprep after creating the user (no more shift+f3 like in windows 7???)

- generalize and shutdown

- mount the vhd file

- use the aik tool to capture the image in install.wim

- overwrite the install.wim with the new one

Correct?

There is little difference between Windows 7 and 8 when it comes to image creation. You should use the same process you used with Windows 7 if that is what worked best for you.

what do you suggest? is there a guide to follow? also, no more shift+f3 right? thanks in advance..

There is little difference between Windows 7 and 8 when it comes to image creation. You should use the same process you used with Windows 7 if that is what worked best for you.

what do you suggest? is there a guide to follow? also, no more shift+f3 right? thanks in advance..

I haven't tried that keyboard combo in Win8. I usually install it using an answer file and have it boot into Audit Mode.

There are quite a few guides and resources on the Deliver and Deploy Page for Windows 8 on the Springboard Site on TechNet. Like Tripredacus says, the process uses many of the same tools and is very similar to the process for Windows 7.

As for Shift+Ctrl+F3 to enter Audit Mode to customize the Administrator profile in order to use the copyprofile setting to customize the default profile, this sequence is still valid for Windows 8.

Really though, the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit is the way to go for deployment of Windows today. The unified interface from which you can control almost all Microsoft deployment technologies gives you the ability to perform an amazing amount of tasks. You can create an installation and deploy it either through the network, using PXE if you have it installed in a Windows Server environment with WDS, or via USB key or disk, you can create an image able to be deployed to multiple configurations of hardware or which has various sets of software installed upon it, you can take the user data for an existing environment, back it up on the local hard disk, then restore it once the system has been upgraded, and quite a bit more, these are just some of the examples of how it can be used.

Edited by WinOutreach2

• 1 month later...

The only problem with the Microsoft Deployment Tool Kit is that it is nearly unintelligible to anyone except those who already know how to use it.

What do all those entrys do , which do I need for a Volume License install?

It has been made so complicated that I gave up using it to create an install file and just do a manual install to set up my Reference computer.

Then trying to figure out how to make sysprep create the default user I want is another PHD journey.

Perhaps for security purposes all this crap is necessary, but a comprehensive guide would help and I have not found one.