Winsxs (component cache) feature remove

shanti

Hi all,

I'd like to know, if possible, how exactly vlite does remove the Winsxs component from the iso. I'm trying to follow a guide

on the net that is using vlite but I'm only having errors, so I'd like to have (I know the source code is not possible) an

explanation on how Vlite does that process.

Thank you

Shanti

I know, I'm aware of that, but I'd like to know the exact mechanism (like the commands or a set of batches) so I can manually

replicate it on my own without the needing of vlite since it crashes on me every time.

Thanks

The exact mechanism that vLite uses has never been published. The code is closed and the author has never made it public. You can not get in touch with the author about the vLite code any longer, and even if you could he is now prevented from speaking about it. Sorry.

Cheers and Regards

winsxs removal with vlite is simple just remove list of files

and save 250MB of files to make the setup/installation works well and thats all

use whereisit to see which files are safe to remove

u may apply it to windows 8 if u know how to use whereisit good

Oh... well, I think that's good for him and bad for us, so I guess this thread can be closed since nobody

can answer my question without being persecuted by the law :) thanks anyway guys.

Bye

use whereisit to see which files are safe to remove

u may apply it to windows 8 if u know how to use whereisit good

What is "whereisit"? Do you mean this - http://www.whereisit-soft.com/? How exactly would that help you "see which files are safe to remove"? I'm confused.

Cheers and Regards

yea this app

u remove with vlite the winsxs and save it clg file with whereisit and have which files can be removed manually

however using vlite is much more easier but if u got stuck u can use it this way

I am just not getting how WherIsIt can possibly do what you are saying. Is there any way I could you sweet talk you into making a video showing how you use it as you have tried to describe? Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I am just not getting how WherIsIt can possibly do what you are saying. Is there any way I could you sweet talk you into making a video showing how you use it as you have tried to describe? Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Regards

open 2 CTF files

and use camper to cataloged data

• 7 months later...

He now works for them and had to sign a non-disclosure.

Cheers and Regards

The exact mechanism that vLite uses has never been published. The code is closed and the author has never made it public. You can not get in touch with the author about the vLite code any longer, and even if you could he is now prevented from speaking about it. Sorry.

Cheers and Regards

So since vLite is no longer being supported (and never really worked right in the first place), what is there for an alternative for cleaning out all the cr(uft) out of WinVista? Since XP is going out of support this coming April, I need something to replace it on my brother's machines. Which means either telling him he's going to have to migrate to Linux (my preferred option anyway), or find some way to severely decrappify Vista (which I have licences for from salvaged machines). A third alternative would be to find dirt-cheap ($25-35) copies of Win7 Basic since, again, I don't want all the MS-bundled junk, and prefer using my own choice of media players, text editors, browser, mail client, DVD-writer, image editor, etc. when I build a MSWin system.

Edited by jelabarre59