[Resolved] Unattended W7 with SP1 problems.

I recently purchased a W7 DVD with Ultimate x64 with included Service Pack 1. I used my usual Unattended answer file (AutoUnattend.xml), but am getting error messages from Setup. First I get a dialog to select the image to install even though I have specified it in the answer file, here:

<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallFrom>
<MetaData wcm:action="add">
<Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>
<Value>Windows 7 ULTIMATE</Value>
</MetaData>
</InstallFrom>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
<InstallToAvailablePartition>false</InstallToAvailablePartition>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>

Screen shot of message attached. After clicking Next, Setup continued and restarted. During "Completing installation", I got the "...cannot configure..." message, attached. I have exported only the Ultimate image into the Install.wim file and injected all current updates and IE9 but no drivers. I have also disabled several components. I used "maxXPsoft Win 7 Replace Boot, Login, Shutdown screens" batch files which I got here some time ago. I had to adjust them for SP1 in one case. The holidays are here and I am running out of time, but I will do a lot more testing when past the immediate crunch. This will include starting from a fresh Install.wim file with only IE9 and updates and go from there. However, I do hope someone has encountered these problems before and can suggest some cure(s). I suspect the dialog asking me to select an install image has to do with what I call the image in the answer file (<Value>Windows 7 ULTIMATE</Value>), but searching the Internet offered no help. The imagex info showed the same name for the SP1 image as non-SP1. Thanks for your time and help. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: The testing was done on a VM under VMware Player. It worked fine before I started using the DVD with SP1 embedded.

EDIT: Looks like I corrected the problem of being asked for the image. I exported the image again and was real careful to name it "Windows 7 ULTIMATE".

EDIT: I created an ISO with no updates, no IE9 and no maxXPsoft stuff and it installed OK. I will try adding some things to see which it is.

EDIT: After thinking some more but not doing any more testing, I suspect the modified files from maxXPsoft . In particular I wonder if FirstUXRes.wim has not changed version number with SP1. I had to change the folder name (contains the version number in the name) to get the batch file to run without errors. After the time crunch is past, I will do some more looking and testing.

post-179953-0-42295800-1356282480_thumb.

post-179953-0-79281100-1356282494_thumb.

Edited by johnhc

That was some time ago I done those batch files 2010-03-22, I haven't updated those files for SP1

After they moved my post which was a unattended thing I quit updating that

post-9484-0-76276000-1356447773_thumb.pn

If you're getting a component issue then this is not mod files but rather if you inject IE9 do you know that there are requirements to have about 3 other updates installed prior to inject ????????????????>

For Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), the following prerequisites must be installed: KB2484033, KB2488113, and KB2505438.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks, maxXPsoft for your reply. I had all the prerequisites for IE9 and no DISM errors on the inject. I am running down the differences in your modified files and finding different versions for the FirstUXBackground file and suspect others also. I will modify the files that do not have the same version and/or hashes. I will test this and post the results here. Thanks and enjoy, John.

If you are looking to change boot animation, since SP1 it don't work changing Firstuxres.wim so use coderforlife stuff here

http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/

I completely redone my Firstuxres.wim like this and didn't work so I am trying with coderforlife link

post-9484-0-98850600-1356661800_thumb.pn

Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks, maxXPsoft. I'll consider the link but it may be too fancy for me. What sort of failure did you get? Were you using the SP1 version of Firstuxres.wim? Did you try modifying only the background? Enjoy, John.

I tried everything possible, it is no longer loaded from there. The thing Win7BootUpdater updates are

C:\Windows\System32\bootres.dll

C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe

C:\Windows\System32\en-US\winload.exe.mui

C:\Windows\System32\winresume.exe

C:\Windows\System32\en-US\winresume.exe.mui

bootmgr on Hidden partition

Use at your own risk though. I have an acronis image I can restore if I have problems

There are lots of downloadable files from links in program but I created one of my own. My boot don't get past where the balls join in middle so I don't see the rest so that suits me

2012-12-28_104120.wmv

Thanks, maxXPsoft. I think I will stay away from Win7BootUpdater. There are just too many warnings. When I get back to my machine capable of running a VM I will do some more testing and see what I learn. Thanks much for comments and links. Enjoy, John.

I extracted the Firstuxres.wim file (only difference from RTM) from the SP1 DVD, replaced the last image and used it in maxXPsoft's procedure and the install worked fine. I should point out that I am not modifying the boot animations, just the backgrounds and the resolution check animation. Enjoy, John.