Win 7 64 Taskbar is Too Wide

plainolguy

Hi All:

I just installed Windows 7 X64 and I always move my taskbar to the left side of the monitor screen. Well, the icons are twice as wide as they are tall so that I can`t reduce the width of my Taskbar to the degree XP allows. I am not running in XP mode okay? That was just a comparison. This is so goofy. How do I shrink the size of my Taskbar icons so that I can reduce the width of the Taskbar. I enable small icons already. My Start button is too wide as well and sometimes it just disappears like it did tonight. Any suggestions?

Thanks Everyone and Merry Christmas!

plain

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Is it possible that you can get a screenshot of a system that works the way you want it to, and your current one so I could see the difference?

EDIT: Would this tweak solve your problem? - http://www.askvg.com/how-to-get-the-old-thin-taskbar-buttons-with-text-in-windows-7/

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

you can try with windows metrics, to reduce width of taskbar buttons

but this doesn't work in iconised mode, only in "non combine"/ aka XP taskbar mode

check here

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/21233-taskbar-change-icon-button-width-size.html

Edited by vinifera

Vinifera:

Wow! I would never have suspected a subject would have been about this because I Googled and I guess Ididn`t word it correctly because everything was pertaining to something else. Thanks very much for the link. Anyway, I have sent a jpg along with this note. As you can see the Task Bar icon is missing. I did figure out from the WWW how to re-enable it the first time this happened but then when I rebooted a second time poof! it was gone again. And even when it is there if I shrink the width of the Task Bar more than a certain width the crazy button just hangs out in space :yes: Like I said it is weird and so goofy with an OS that is supposed to be so sophisticated. I tried rummaging through the registry but I know little of such things and only touch what has been proven to work by a generous internetter. Ha, it took me a couple of years to get XP the way I liked it and now I get to more or less start over. Well, I will learn a lot. If you have suggestions I appreciate anything you might think of and I certainly going to look at the link. Thanks very much for your help.

plain

post-98914-0-25910800-1356307665_thumb.j

Also I just tracked down the registry settings for icons in the registry based on the link you posted and the minimum suggested width is '38' while my registry says '32'. I think this is where the problem lies but I really don`t want the Task Bar hogging up all my desktop real-estate when it is out. Also, it is kind of strange that one is allowed to shrink the Task Bar width to a point that a '32' icon will fit but it is not recommended because the icons which go on the Task Bar are too wide at this point. Personally, I think '32' is a little too wide. Have a nice Christmas!

plain