nLite dead end

HarryZ

Hello everybody,

In order to install sata-drivers I found out about Nlite. Problem is when pointing to the windows install folder which I created from the OS_CD-R, Nlite asks for the I386 file, which is right there in the install-folder. Selecting it or selecting the whole folder gives no result. What could be the problem?

the windows install folder which I created from the OS_CD-R

You mean "which I copied", right ?

nLite is looking for specific files that it cannot find. Either your OS cd is incomplete (modded or warez) or you missed some files when copying.

Point nLite directly to your CD (it can copy the files by itself to a folder of your choice) and see if it makes a difference or be sure you see and copy all the hidden files that are on the root of your original install folder. If still not ok, report what the sticker/label reads on your CD.

What you could do is download one of the thousands free ISO makers, try to create an ISO of the XP CD and that way it will always be on your PC and you will be able to use it as a starting point.

According to your last post, the CD may be damaged.

Cheers

Try CDcheck, it's free for personal use (like nLite) and there is a portable version (means you copy it to a folder and there is no left over when you remove it). It will tell you if the media is damaged or unreadable (and which files). If it's only a handful of files, you might be able to copy them from the other CD (providing they are not tied to the XP version) after having copied things manually like you did the 1st time.

Couple of hours later now... Cleaned the xp-cd and Nlite picked it up now. Downloaded the 64 bit SATARAID v10.3.0.46 which I think is the one for my ASUS P5RDI-VM motherboard, and burned the iso-file. Plugged out my old HDD and plugged in the SSD. Installation started! But then the message nvrd64.sys is damaged... Looked an saw this file in the driverpack. Almost Christmas.

Burnt the Nlite bootable dvd with satadrivers succesfully, plugged in the ssd, out the hdd. Startted windows-install, but it cannot detect a hdd.

In bios(ASUS P5RDI-VM) the ssd is in the bootdeviceslist but not in the main master-slavelist. Bios autodetects IDE-devices only and I don't see a ACHI option

in the bios, only ACPI(?)

ACPI and AHCI (not ACHI as you wrote it), have got nothing to do with each other.

Does the install disc detect the HDD but not the SSD when one replaces the other ? (that's what I understand from your post???).

The drivers are for the controller, not for the disc itself, that would indicate the drivers do work.

In bios(ASUS P5RDI-VM) the ssd is in the bootdeviceslist but not in the main master-slavelist.

Does it list the 4 SATA devices (as being "none"?) or does it only list IDE devices? In th boot list, does it appear with a denomination that would indicate it is properly recognized ?

As your HDD and SSD are not plugged to the same controller, forget the last sentence in my previous post.

Where did you find that "10.3..46" version ? Your motherboard's page on Asus site has a 1.0.0.4 version (from 2005), maybe that would work. The inf file says it's for PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5287 , 5288 and 5289.

Cleaned the xp-cd and Nlite picked it up now. Downloaded the 64 bit SATARAID v10.3.0.46 which I think is the one for my ASUS P5RDI-VM motherboard, and burned the iso-file. Plugged out my old HDD and plugged in the SSD. Installation started! But then the message nvrd64.sys is damaged... Looked an saw this file in the driverpack.
You got the message, that the file NVRD64.SYS is corrupt (not damaged). This always happens, when you try to integrate a 64bit driver into a 32bit OS like Windows XP. 32bit Operating Systems cannot use any 64bit driver. That is why you get the message. Edited by Fernando 1