different behavior of Realtek HD Audio manager

standingbear

A while back I posted here about the sound card on a new machine. The HD sound card has only 3 jacks in the back, and according to their color codes, they are supposed to be output (lime green), headphone (pink), and mic (light blue), and I was wondering how I could get my 5.1 speakers to connect. Then someone pointed out that the Realtek HD Audio Manager is able to retask these jacks for other purposes and I indeed found it to be true. That is, when I clicked open Realtek HD Audio Manager, on the right hand side, it would list two columns of the 3 jacks with an option to switch between output/headphone/mic and output/side spkr/rear spkr.

I was quite happy for a while, until one day, I switched the computer case (long story, but there was nothing wrong with the existing case), but kept everything else the same. But when I went into the Realtek HD Audio Manager, it would no longer let me switch these 3 jacks explicitly. Instead, I could only choose among stereo/quad/5.1 in the main panel, and only the 5.1 would use the headphone and mic as output. While this still makes sense, I just felt a little lost because I like the more explicit way to retask these jacks. So I am just wondering why the HD Audio Manager changed its behavior? The only hardware change is the case and the front panel, but would that make a difference? because the previous cpu case also has a front panel.

There are 2 different types of front panel audio jacks. AC97 and HDAudio. Sometimes the type of connector is labelled on the connector itself, sometimes not. And its usually the case that a yellow connector is HDAudio, but this isn't always the case either. Sometimes the FP Audio cable will have both connector types, you should look to see if yours does. Usually they are labelled if both are there.

Can you post your motherboard, as well as the new case you bought?

Thank you Tripredacus. I am pretty certain both front panels have the HD Audio connector. the mobo is ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX, and the new cpu case is Corsair 400R. But I have no idea what brand the original case was -- I got my machine as a barebone, so it was probably some generic brand.

The spec sheet for that case does not really tell me the kind of info I need. Your board only has the one Audio connector, so if you are getting any sound it must be correct. I'd wonder about the connector on the case tho. I can check some differences tomorrow.

Edit: refer to this thread

Edited by Tripredacus