Problems installing Win98

[FMC]Ravage

I can't seem to install windows. I'm using a bootdisk (with gcdrom.sys) and when I go to run setup...the computer just reboots...

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (latest bios)

1GB RAM

Geforce4 MX440

320GB SATA HD

SATA DVD Drive

Ravage' timestamp='1355993839' post='1023358']I can't seem to install windows. I'm using a bootdisk (with gcdrom.sys) and when I go to run setup...the computer just reboots...

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (latest bios)

1GB RAM

Geforce4 MX440

320GB SATA HD

SATA DVD Drive

Try change SATA Mode to IDE/PATA in the BIO. No SATA support at all in Win9x unless you get rloew's SATA driver (not free). Athlon 64 - OK / 1GB RAM - OK / MX440 - OK (get the compatible drivers) / 320GB HD - look at Stickies for info on limitations and the patch / DVD - irrelevant (should just "work"). Don't know about the K8N but good possibility "compatible" with appropriate Chipset drivers.

Your MoBo -

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K8N-Neo2-Platinum.html

Yep - nForce3 Drivers available...

Edited by submix8c

Yeah I got rloew's sata/high capacity patches...but i can't even get to the point where i can install them. I'll look for an IDE setting but I don't think there is one (or it's called something weird).

One weird thing I noticed is that I have 2 boot disks, 1 official (with gcdrom added) and 1 I made with FreeDOS. If I copy the Win98 CD to the hard drive with the official floppy, I can't see the folder when I boot with the FreeDOS one (and vice versa).

I wonder if it's the way I partitioned it? I did it on my Windows 8 machine with EaseUS PM..

Ok it looks like I may have figured it out. Win9x/dos didn't like the partitions I made so I redid them with fdisk and that seemed to taken care of the disappearing file bug. The other issue with the windows installer not launching/crashing seems to be related to gcdrom.sys. It's just a POS. I spent all day swapping drives and tweaking the autoexec.bat/config.sys files trying to find a combo that worked. I ended up just making a bootable flash drive which seems to work better anyway.