XPSF2 slipstreamed with SP3 is greater than 700M

chl2012

No. When I went to the MS site, the name of the file was what I expected. Looked normal. I downloaded the file, but it came up with the 11 characters only. I thought if I download the file, the usual name will somehow appear. It didn't. I got this 11 charactern blob which I have never seen before -- anywhere.

@chl2012 - As jaclaz likes to say, my crystal ball is broken and I can not read your mind. WHICH MS site and WHAT, EXACTLY was the 11 character file name that you ended up with that you didn't know what to do with?

For the three files listed previously, repeated here for your convenience:

1. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe.
  2. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.
  3. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

I successfully downloaded, by clicking the nice red "Download" button on each page referenced, the three files which were named:

IE8-WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe

respectively. No sign of any "11 charactern blob". So I'll ask again:

1) What is the link for the problem MS download page? (If you can post a screenshot that would be gravy.)

2) What, exactly, did you do/click to begin the download?

3) What, exactly, was the full name, including extension if any, and size in bytes, of the "11 charactern blob "?

and:

4) Do you have your computer set up to automatically download files directly to a "Download" folder, or the desktop, or do you have it set to ask you where to put the file each time?

5) If it is set to ask, what does it say the name of the file is going to be? (I personally have mine set this way for just this sort of reason. So I can tell before the download happens if I'm getting what I think I'm supposed to be getting.)

6) Out of curiosity, and in case there is a setting I'm aware of that might can help you, what is the exact browser you are using to browse the Internet and download these files?

Please supply as much of the requested information as you are able to provide and feel free to ask if you need to know how to obtain any of it.

We're trying to help you.

As an example of what I'm looking for:

1) I went here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8359ec5a-07f8-4b29-8576-7356a84daf82 - or - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35962

1a) [Extra Credit LOL]

1zdp340.jpg

2) I clicked the big red "Download" button.

3) The details of the file that got downloaded are:

Name: IE8-WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe

Size: 10,744,352 bytes

[Extra credit] MD5: f7eb5021089cc7c83fd3f67d57801244

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Sorry to have wasted your time.

This morning I started the MS download of the first IE8 update. As you clearly said click the big red button. I did that and a file came up that was not the 11 character name but a short xxx.zzz type file name. The I saw ZOOM DOWNLOADER -- don't know where it came from or when. Anyway I removed ZOOM DOWNLOADER and was able to download the 3 files without further delay.

Again, sorry to have missed ZOOM yesterday and, more importantly, to have wasted your time and effort.

The vultures lurking with the FREE DOWNLOADERS should be jailed for, at least, 20 to life.

Winrar, 7zip, or winzip can all unpck an ISO

It is clear you are very skilled in computer technology. But as a user I am approaching this nLite (NL) code use from a slightly different viewpoint.

While you are comfortable using the MSDN ISO package, I am not. I look at NL as a way to package codes that can be used in an emergency -- perhaps without testing on a virtual machine. Therefore I want to know the codes used are ones I am using now (except for some addons).

If I cannot create an NL package with basically my running codes, then I will just fail in this effort.

It is clear that you are a great asset to this Forum, and I appreciate your time and effort to help me. If you do not wish to help in the future, I will understand. You were clear in your first Post on this thread what you expected.

The XP + SP3 was 622 MB and the XP + SP3 + Win Updates + IE8 Updates is 652 MB. How can that happen?? I know there changes in the IE8 Update that was mentioned in this Forum and on the web listing were not made as I was so sure that the size would be > 700 MB.

Because:

The updates = 128MB but they wont take up that much space on the disk. Most just replace files. The same goes for the IE8 add-on but not as much.

Since you are slipstreaming the IE8 add-on don't forget about...

1. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe.
  2. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.
  3. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

Sometimes the new replacement files are actually smaller than the original files, hence less space taken up.

Also, now that the first hurdle is over, be aware of the request that is posted at the top of the nLite forum section, and that has been mentioned, I think, in this thread. (If not, it should have been.)

If you are having issues with Windows after removing components and have come to ask for help, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini file to your post to facilitate quicker assistance.

This allows us to better help you no matter what nLite problem you are having. If you need help in knowing how to attach your Last Session.ini file to your post, just ask for assistance. (But there is a link at the bottom of the "create post block" window - "Help with attaching files" - which might suffice.)

EDIT: OT - Everyone will know who you mean, and no offense will be taken, if you prefer to refer to "Mr. K--" as "Kel".

Cheers and Regards

If you are having issues with Windows after removing components and have come to ask for help, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini file to your post to facilitate quicker assistance.

Let me try to explain why I do not like Last SESSION (LS). Before I came to this forum, I was trying to use nLite (NL) to develop a code. I tried to remove the LS each time I opened NL. I thought I had succeded, until on one run NL said an Update had been added out of nowhere.No idea where it came from. Anyway, I removed NL from my system except for the registry. Downloaded a clean copy of NL, and since no problems with strange junk be added without my knowledge. No LS and no problems.

That is the way I prefer it.

NOTE: I know this is my attempt to use a quote, but I did not want to delete something to make my comments unclear.

You did just fine using a quote. :)

Sorry you had problems with that rogue ZOOM downloader program. I'm glad you were able to remove it. But I'm not sure where you want to go from here.

I read your response to Mr. K-- above, and I'm not sure what you meant there either. I have only used nLite a few times so I am not at all an expert, but do I understand correctly that you wish to make an XP install disc (what you called "a code"??) directly from your currently installed system, rather than using another install disc, or ISO, as a starting point? I believe that is one of the capabilities of nLite, but I've never done it that way so I'm afraid I will not be much help to you if that is your intention. Also, I'm not sure if that is the best idea in your case. If you were "infected" by annoyances like the ZOOM downloader, are you absolutely, positively sure that you don't still have some other rogue infection on your PC that you would just be transferring to your new install disc if you chose to do things that way? Your comment that "...one run NL said an Update had been added out of nowhere.No idea where it came from." leads me to think that could be the case, even though you say that you haven't had any more problems like that since you reinstalled nLite. Just a thought.

I also don't think you completely understand what the Last Session.ini file is. There is no reason to fear it. It is only a text file, nothing more. You can open it with Notepad and read what is inside it. It is a normal, expected product of every nLite run. You can think of it as just a log of what was supposed to happen, if that makes more sense to you. As far as I know, if a Last Session.ini file is not produced every time that nLite is run there is something very wrong going on. If the Last Session.ini file that is produced cannot be opened and read easily using Notepad, (open Notepad, click File - Open - navigate to and select the Last Session.ini file), then there is something very wrong going on. If it is in your way for any reason after you make an nLite run, rather than delete it, it might be better to just move it somewhere out of the way, your documents folder perhaps, but accessible in case you need it for any reason.

Regardless how you choose to proceed, good luck in your endeavors, keep us apprised of your progress, and please let us know how we can assist you.

Cheers and Regards

You did just fine using a quote. :)

Sorry you had problems with that rogue ZOOM downloader program. I'm glad you were able to remove it. But I'm not sure where you want to go from here.

I read your response to Mr. K-- above, and I'm not sure what you meant there either. I have only used nLite a few times so I am not at all an expert, but do I understand correctly that you wish to make an XP install disc (what you called "a code"??) directly from your currently installed system, rather than using another install disc, or ISO, as a starting point? I believe that is one of the capabilities of nLite, but I've never done it that way so I'm afraid I will not be much help to you if that is your intention. Also, I'm not sure if that is the best idea in your case. If you were "infected" by annoyances like the ZOOM downloader, are you absolutely, positively sure that you don't still have some other rogue infection on your PC that you would just be transferring to your new install disc if you chose to do things that way? Your comment that "...one run NL said an Update had been added out of nowhere.No idea where it came from." leads me to think that could be the case, even though you say that you haven't had any more problems like that since you reinstalled nLite. Just a thought.

I also don't think you completely understand what the Last Session.ini file is. There is no reason to fear it. It is only a text file, nothing more. You can open it with Notepad and read what is inside it. It is a normal, expected product of every nLite run. You can think of it as just a log of what was supposed to happen, if that makes more sense to you. As far as I know, if a Last Session.ini file is not produced every time that nLite is run there is something very wrong going on. If the Last Session.ini file that is produced cannot be opened and read easily using Notepad, (open Notepad, click File - Open - navigate to and select the Last Session.ini file), then there is something very wrong going on. If it is in your way for any reason after you make an nLite run, rather than delete it, it might be better to just move it somewhere out of the way, your documents folder perhaps, but accessible in case you need it for any reason.

Regardless how you choose to proceed, good luck in your endeavors, keep us apprised of your progress, and please let us know how we can assist you.

Cheers and Regards

Last Session (2012.12.22-13.29.26).ini

I ran nLite with my XP SP3 XP Updates IE8 Updates for about 650 MB ISO file. The Last Session.ini file is (hopefully) attached for your info. I have looked briefly and it looks OK. I have a couple of things to check, but nothing major.

Any comment/suggestion would be of interest.

I will look again at your comments on what I am trying to do with nLite. I will make a reply soon. I will keep it short, as there are several points which could be debated, but no one needs that.

You have beeen VERY helpful, and I thank you.

HOPE YOU HAVE A VERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS.

From what VERY little I know about nLite, your Last Session.ini file looks OK. (See? It's just a text file.) Someone else who knows more will have to comment further if they see anything out of whack. Keep in mind that, as far as I know, it is best to only run nLite once on a source. Multiple consecutive runs have been known to cause problems. The exception is that it is perfectly alright to run nLite to integrate SP3 into your source as a stand alone step. In other words, (I think you said that you have a XPSP2 CD that you want to use as a base for a new up to date XPSP3 install disc?), I can envision the following steps:

A - XPSP2 CD - Your original starting point

1) Integrate SP3 - do this in a stand alone step with nLite - make an extra copy of the result of this step and put it away for safe keeping. - this is now your new starting point for all future steps.

B - XPSP2 CD + SP3

1.5) As an extra, optional, manual step you can remove the files/folders that Mr. K-- mentioned that are no longer necessary. IF you do this step, make an extra copy of the result of this step and put it away for safe keeping. - this is now your new starting point for all future steps.

C - XPSP2 CD + SP3 - Junk

From what I understand, it is best to do these next steps all in one nLite run:

2) Add MS updates

3) Add MS extra apps such as IE8

4) Add any tweaks you might want

5) Perform any component removals

6) Add any addons

7) Add drivers specific to your system

8) Create ISO

D - New XPSP3 install ISO

9) Burn ISO to CD/DVD

10) Install your new OS - It is always best to either install your new OS for testing either in a VM or on an extra HDD so that if anything messes up you are able to load up your old OS and try again. Once satisfied, install it for real and be happy.

Though you should do 2-8 all at once for your final run, as you are figuring things out and seeing what will fit on a CD, you will do portions of that at a time, such as 2-4 or 2-5 or 2-6, and see how much room you have left. That's fine. But when you then want to do step 5 or 6 or 7, don't just do that step in another nLite run by itself on the result you had before, go back and do 2-5 or 2-6 or 2-7 in a single nLite run starting with either B or C each time. ( I hope that makes sense. :) )

It is also best to temporarily disable any anti-virus program you have installed on your system during any nLite run since anti-virus programs have been known to cause mysterious problems that might not show up until you try to install your new OS. You can unplug your computer from the Internet while your anti-virus is disable if you are at all concerned.

OK, now I really have exhausted all the nLite knowledge I have to impart. Good luck, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you as well.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

I ran nLite with my XP SP3 XP Updates IE8 Updates for about 650 MB ISO file. The Last Session.ini file is (hopefully) attached for your info. I have looked briefly and it looks OK. I have a couple of things to check, but nothing major

I'm afraid this isn't the one. Please try to upload the one named exactly "Last Session.ini", with no dates in brackets.

Cheers

From what VERY little I know about nLite, your Last Session.ini file looks OK. (See? It's just a text file.) Someone else who knows more will have to comment further if they see anything out of whack. Keep in mind that, as far as I know, it is best to only run nLite once on a source. Multiple consecutive runs have been known to cause problems. The exception is that it is perfectly alright to run nLite to integrate SP3 into your source as a stand alone step. In other words, (I think you said that you have a XPSP2 CD that you want to use as a base for a new up to date XPSP3 install disc?), I can envision the following steps:

A - XPSP2 CD - Your original starting point

1) Integrate SP3 - do this in a stand alone step with nLite - make an extra copy of the result of this step and put it away for safe keeping. - this is now your new starting point for all future steps.

B - XPSP2 CD + SP3

1.5) As an extra, optional, manual step you can remove the files/folders that Mr. K-- mentioned that are no longer necessary. IF you do this step, make an extra copy of the result of this step and put it away for safe keeping. - this is now your new starting point for all future steps.

C - XPSP2 CD + SP3 - Junk

From what I understand, it is best to do these next steps all in one nLite run:

2) Add MS updates

3) Add MS extra apps such as IE8

4) Add any tweaks you might want

5) Perform any component removals

6) Add any addons

7) Add drivers specific to your system

8) Create ISO

D - New XPSP3 install ISO

9) Burn ISO to CD/DVD

10) Install your new OS - It is always best to either install your new OS for testing either in a VM or on an extra HDD so that if anything messes up you are able to load up your old OS and try again. Once satisfied, install it for real and be happy.

Though you should do 2-8 all at once for your final run, as you are figuring things out and seeing what will fit on a CD, you will do portions of that at a time, such as 2-4 or 2-5 or 2-6, and see how much room you have left. That's fine. But when you then want to do step 5 or 6 or 7, don't just do that step in another nLite run by itself on the result you had before, go back and do 2-5 or 2-6 or 2-7 in a single nLite run starting with either B or C each time. ( I hope that makes sense. :) )

It is also best to temporarily disable any anti-virus program you have installed on your system during any nLite run since anti-virus programs have been known to cause mysterious problems that might not show up until you try to install your new OS. You can unplug your computer from the Internet while your anti-virus is disable if you are at all concerned.

OK, now I really have exhausted all the nLite knowledge I have to impart. Good luck, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you as well.

Cheers and Regards

From your extensive comments, if this is all you know about nLite, I would say it is quite a lot.

I will look over your comments. There is one small change at the start. I did start with my XPSP2 OEM CD, but as someone pointed out, I don't need SP2 and SP3, so I have gone to an OEM XP Update installation CD instead. This doesn't change your comments, just corrects the record.

Back to the Last Session.ini.. Why does nLite need/want my ipaddress, which is incorrect in Last Session anyway?? But why does it need my ipaddress to make an ISO?? Also, my name and other personal data?? The Last Session.ini failed to get my Motther's maden name. Wow. What an oversight. See what Last Session has created, that I wanted to avoid. I made a mistake in sending it for all the world with an ID and password can see.

Also, get this -- someone is already complaining about the Last Session.ini I sent. He must know my ipaddress is wrong.

Just another distraction to waste time.

Final comment. Last night I had a thought that could save some space on the ISO. I will pursue it further, and if it looks useful, I will let you know.

Back to the Last Session.ini.. Why does nLite need/want my ipaddress, which is incorrect in Last Session anyway?? But why does it need my ipaddress to make an ISO?? Also, my name and other personal data?? The Last Session.ini failed to get my Motther's maden name. Wow. What an oversight. See what Last Session has created, that I wanted to avoid. I made a mistake in sending it for all the world with an ID and password can see.

That is actually the last_session_u it is for your records only the values you see in it right now are bare default ones. The one we need would be at the root of your folder and disk after running nLite and would NOT have the U at the end.

The U one as you found "can" contain important data and should only be viewed by you for confirmation of values you have set...

You are right ... to a point. The casual reader of this Forum has no right to ANY of my personal info. I sent a Last Session.ini because everyone was saying "we cannot help without a Last Session.ini" WELL THEY HAVE THREE (3) files and they say they want more. WHY?? I was not fond of Last Sessions.ini before, and if I had it to do over, I would say 'Forget itt". If you cannt help without my pesonal stuff. I will try to live without your help.

As so many things with this Forum, you learn by making alot of errors. Sending Last Sessions.ini was one of several for me.

Let me ask, in addition to the computer stuff which does not affect nLite code development, how many casual members names are broadcast to all casual readers of this Forum??

For what it is worth, I am mad about the casual way this Last Session.ini has been handled and the info included. You had a blocked and colored quote about Last Sessions. But you did not clearly define which LS.ini should be sent ... there are at least 3 and I sent the wrong one with a _u. You did not say "Don't sent the LS WITH THE _u" Why not?

I am mad at myself because I sent info no one needs if they truly want to help. Again, I am truly sorry I fell for the come on.

As you have said before, you do not understand what I am trying to say. Seems pretty clear to me. But if further clarification is needed, let me know.