XPSF2 slipstreamed with SP3 is greater than 700M

chl2012

EDIT: What he said ^^

Frankly I thought others had used nLite to slipstream XP, SP2, SP3, ADDONS, Drivers , etc, etc. I must have been dreaming.

They do but he's asking to take it one step at a time so we can pinpoint the problem. BTW, you don't need to slipstream SP2 as you are slipstreaming SP3. Only the latest service pack is needed.

He's asking why you quote post and add nothing. Please stop doing that.

And instead of shouting you can zoom the text. Most browsers support that.

I JUST RAN NLITE USING ONLY XP (ORIGINAL OEM UPDATE IN 2002) AND SP3 DOWNLOAD, AND THE ISO WAS 622 MB LESS THAN THE 800+/- MB I HAVE BEEN GETTING.

AT LEAST THAT LEAVES 78 MB FOR UPDATES, HOTFIXES, DRIVERS, ETC.

WITH 78 MB TO PLAY WITH, WHAT SHOULD BE ADDED??

As you suggested, I downloaded the XP updates and IE8 OnePiece updates from the same source.

1. For the XP Updates I downloaded/unzipped/ran Batch and got 126 files = 128 MB.

2. For IE8 I did the similar procedure and got one file OnePiece = 13 KB.

With 78 MB to play with and just over 128 MB of just these updates, where to cut/remove??

Thanks for your suggestion.

Are the other users of this Forum using a DVD?? I see some talking about Drivers, DOTNETFX, etc. They must have some BIG CDs if not DVDs.

Again from the faq in the actual main nLite thread...

Also you can manually remove allot from your disk pre-nLiteing.

Folders considered safe to delete in your Windows Setup Source are:

My source I did this with was a MSDN XP SP3 .iso

DOCS, VALUEADD, DOTNETFX and SUPPORT Folders. This will free up 60.9 megs. (DOTNETFX doesn't exist on XP gold. None of these files or folders are used during a standard install)

SETUPXP.HTM

README.HTM

Let's go in further by navigating to the I386 directory with your Windows Setup Source. If you don't plan to use this CD to upgrade from a previous OS, you can delete the following folders:

WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG. This will free up 37.7 megs. These 3 folders are only needed is your upgrading or migrating from an older OS.

If you have a localized language version of Windows in your own language, then you can also delete the LANG folder. This will free up approximately 99 megs (This may vary) Also these files are so old by now you would be better off getting updated ones.

With all of this removed you clear up 197 megs.

My Bare sp3 disk size without updates? = 386 megs!

The updates = 128MB but they wont take up that much space on the disk. Most just replace files. The same goes for the IE8 add-on but not as much.

Since you are slipstreaming the IE8 add-on don't forget about...

1. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe.
  2. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.
  3. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

i do not agree with your statement he was jut saying iwas saying nothing. what again, was he saying?

Just for the record, what -X- said is correct.

He's asking why you quote post and add nothing. Please stop doing that.

In this thread there are four posts (post #10, #11, #14 (you did comment on that one in your next post), and #19) where all you did was quote a previous post, the first one you quoted two times in a row, and you added no comment of your own at all in any way to three of them, and the one post you did comment on, you used yet another post to do so rather than add your comment in the same post. So I was very confused and I still have no idea at all why you did that or what you were trying to say. That's all. And no, I'm not trying to increase my post count since there is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing that. I guess I could accuse you of doing that since I can think of no other reason you would make that type of post. If you do not know how some of the edit box functions work, please ask and we will try to help you out.

I also have trouble reading the small text in the edit box on this forum, this forum is the worst in that regard of the various ones I visit, but it is considered impolite to use all caps. Instead, you can either use the zoom feature in your browser as -X- mentioned to temporarily enlarge things to make them easier to see, or you can create your response in an external text editor of your choice, Notepad works fine, then cut and paste the entire response, or pieces of it, into the edit box in order to post your response.

Are the other users of this Forum using a DVD?? I see some talking about Drivers, DOTNETFX, etc. They must have some BIG CDs if not DVDs.

Yes, often DVDs are used as install media, and sometimes even USB connected keys or hard drives. But with judicious pruning:

My Bare sp3 disk size without updates? = 386 megs!

there is still room on a CD for a fairly complete XP install; fully up to date, drivers appropriate to your hardware, and some apps.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

I will make a couple of general remarks and a specific response to one or two.

general;

1. Lets say there are 4 post that I should respond to. I see no button on each to Reply. So I clicked Quote to add a reply to a specific post.Got a better way?

2. I am aware of the dislike of caps in messages, but I think the font size used here is what regular users want. OK, but it is too small for regular reqading. I will not use caps any more as they offend some sensative readers ... i am also a poor typist ... and if i make typing errors i do not see to correct, so bo it.

specific:

1. i have tried to post specific results with file sizes etc. i listed my result for SP3 Lite at 332 MB. yesterday user K---- said he got 386 MB. Small difference which i can explain after i check something on the downloaded file. Granted 50 MB is important when one is left with only 78 MB to play with. but the 50 MB reduces the free space rather than increasing it.

2. hopefully today i will take my input data into nlite for XP, SP3, Win updates, IE8 updates suggested by -X- and see what total ISO size i get which i will report.

general remarks:

unless i see something in my results which make it reasonable to continue to try to get an nlite ISO file on a 700 MB CD I will give up on this approach and consider a DVD where i cn include everything which should be in the XPSP3 ISO DVD disk.

1. Lets say there are 4 post that I should respond to. I see no button on each to Reply. So I clicked Quote to add a reply to a specific post.Got a better way?

Yes! :)

Actually, there are two parts to the answer.

1) The forum "Add Reply" buttons are labeled a little funny, in my opinion, and might be causing some confusion.

In the thread, at the bottom right of each post there is a "Quote" button that opens a "create post block" window titled "Replying to NameOfThread" and copies that post in its entirety into the "create post block" surrounded by "quote" tags. At this point you are supposed to add whatever comments you might want to add, either before or after the quoted text, and edit the quoted text itself if necessary. (You can also copy all of the text in the "create post block" into another external text editor of your choice at this point, such as Notepad, to do the editing and post creation if that would be more comfortable or familiar for you, and copy it back when you are through.) As an example, I've edited the quote from your post above. I removed everything except the specific line I wished to respond to and highlighted a particular phrase. See? At the bottom of the "create post block" window are three buttons - "Add Reply" "Preview Post", and "Cancel". Scroll down if necessary to see them. "Cancel" throws away everything you might have done since opening the "create post block" window and takes you back to the thread where you were last. "Preview Post" shows you, above the "create post block" window, how the post would look if you posted it right then. The "create post block" window remains open for you to continue making changes if you are not satisfied how the post would look. "Add Reply", should, in my opinion, be labeled "Post Reply", because that's what it does. It actually causes the post to be "posted" to the thread for everyone else to see. It would also then be consistent with the "Preview Post" button.

At the top and bottom of each page of the thread there is also an "Add Reply" button. This button does NOT do the same thing that the other "Add Reply" button does. It doesn't "Add" anything. It merely opens an empty "create post block" window with nothing copied into it. In my opinion, the "Add Reply" button at the top and bottom of each thread page would be more accurately labeled "Open Create Post Block Window", but I fully realize that is not a practical button name. :)

So perhaps you clicked "Quote", then immediately clicked "Add Reply" thinking that that was what you were supposed to do to add your comments to what was quoted?

2) If there are multiple posts that you want to respond to at once, with quoted text from each, the way you do that is as follows: For each post you wish to quote and respond to, click the "MultiQuote" button located in each post right next to the "Quote" button. Unlike the action of the "Quote" button, a "create post block" window will NOT open. The only thing that will happen is that the "MultiQuote" button will remain highlighted indicating that it has been selected for quoting. You can even select posts from different pages in the thread. If you change your mind about any post you have selected, you can click the "MultiQuote" button again and it will un-highlight indicating that it is no longer selected. Once you have selected all the posts you wish to respond to, click the "Add Reply" button at the top or bottom of the thread page and a "create post block" window will open. All the posts you selected will be individually quoted inside the "create post block" in the order that they appear in the thread. From there you add your comments and edit the quoted text as described above.

I hope that my explanation makes sense and that it will make posting your comments easier for you.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Obviously, you spent some time preparing and presenting your excellent tutorial on the Forum communications. It should be made available at the top of each Forum and Sub Forum. I shall take advantage of your excellent use of Replies to Posts. You add clarity where little existed before. Thanks for your contribution.