Can unofficial support make Windows 2000 2013 ready?

AnX

I'm getting a bit concerned as soon the new UEFI BIOS implemented by machines will bar Windows 2000 and XP's installation.

Right now there are many BIOS based machines still on sale, so in my opinion we should grab them as fast as we can to keep the Win2K (and WinXP) legacy alive.

But I have one more concern, will unofficial support be able to handle the software from 2013 and later and make it compatible with Windows 2000?

Or are we doomed to "upgrading" to a more bloated OS?

Most UEFI bioses include a legacy BIOS interface, so older software will run without issue. I have yet to encounter a system that cannot load Win2k due to its UEFI bios.

Those types of systems do exist. I ran into a tablet a couple months ago that did not have the legacy BIOS on it, only UEFI 2.3.1. Of course, I wouldn't expect you'd want to install Windows 2000 on it tho. :unsure:

Here it is, the CZC U116T:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/29/czc-u116t-ultrabook-hybrid/

Of course, I wouldn't expect you'd want to install Windows 2000 on it tho. :unsure:

Besides what you expect people to actually want :whistle:, it would not be possible :( most likely (and besides the issues with UEFI) because of the lack of drivers compatible with 2K or XP.

jaclaz

[...] f you are using UEFI boot, then your Primary HDD would be in GPT mode. Is it?

Dumb noobie question. How can you tell?

Cheers and Regards

Disk Management should have a mention of GPT, otherwise you can tell with Diskpart if so inclined.

As far as UEFI boot, it would be a setting in the BIOS, usually on the Boot page.