Motherboard front panel header and case front panel connectors don&#39

vipejc

... and maybe pay a carpenter to drill them with that special size drill bit.

You will need to find a special carpenter that has "that special size drill bit." :unsure: .

Or you might get away with adhesive stand-offs or with PCB feets (examples):

http://www.avtic.com/pcb_accessories/plastic_pcb_spacers/adhesive_pcb_spacers

01-23-b.jpg

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=PCBFEET

pcbfeet.jpg

jaclaz

Motherboard

Pin 1: AUD_MIC1

Pin 2: AUD_GND

Pin 3: AUD_MIC2

Pin 4: AUD_VCC

Pin 5: AUD_FPOUT_R

Pin 6: AUD_RET_R

Pin 7: AUD_MIC_JD

Pin 8: NO PIN

Pin 9: AUD_FPOUT_L

Pin 10: AUD_RET_L

Case

Pin 1: MIC

Pin 2: GND

Pin 3: MIC BIAS

Pin 4: AUD GND

Pin 5: FPOUT R

Pin 6: RET R

Pin 7: +5V

Pin 8: NO PIN

Pin 9: FPOUT L

Pin 10: RET L

I'm 99% positive all pins match except pins 3, 4 and 7.

Motherboard has an HD Audio connector.

Case has an AC 97 connector.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-015851.htm

Just an update on my build. Everything went fairly smoothly in one pass other than Windows XP complaining for no good reason a few times and giving me a message saying We're sorry for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start correctly... And of course there was nothing really wrong and that was Windows just being Windows and after the 2nd reboot it logged right into Windows like it always has.

But I do have one major problem. Now everybody that's followed this thread knows I had no plans of connecting the case front panel audio connector because the manufacturers make it idiotically complicated with all their different pin and connector names. However, my system has no sound from the analog desktop speakers connected to the rear green output port. I thought the AC'97 audio case front panel connector was for only front panel audio? I checked all my sound settings and everything is set correctly. I use onboard Realtek AC'97 audio. Worse, the AC'97 case front panel connector uses Intel's IFPA AC'97 audio and the motherboard uses a proprietary header and pins 1, 3, 4 and 7 don't match. The case front panel audio uses block connectors (HD Audio or AC'97), and in order to use them, I'd have to remove each pin from the block connector, but I don't know how without causing damage. Does each pin have a separate connector when removed from the block connector, or would they be bare wires?

From the link trip provided above - http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-015851.htm :

Note HD Audio headers are pin-compatible with AC'97 chassis and connectors.

and since from referring to the above link and Trip's analysis of the info you provided above:

Motherboard has an HD Audio connector.

Case has an AC 97 connector.

it seems you should be able to just connect the motherboard to your front panel and give it a try. At least that is the way I interpret things.

As to why your "system has no sound from the analog desktop speakers connected to the rear green output port", I have no idea at all.

Cheers and Regards

New issue. My DVD drive is no longer detected in My Computer. BIOS detects it. I tried removing the upper and lower filters registry entries and restarting, but still no DVD drive icon in My Computer.

New issue. My DVD drive is no longer detected in My Computer. BIOS detects it. I tried removing the upper and lower filters registry entries and restarting, but still no DVD drive icon in My Computer.

See if it is detected if a disc is in the drive when the PC boots. Is it a SATA or ATAPI DVD drive?

See if it is detected if a disc is in the drive when the PC boots. Is it a SATA or ATAPI DVD drive?

I can boot from a CD or DVD. It's ATAPI. In addition to deleting the LowerFilters registry entry, I ran the Microsoft CD and DVD Fix It tool, which didn't help. The DVD drive isn't shown in Device Manager by default. It's shown as a ghosted icon under hidden devices that's disconnected. All drive jumpers and cables are correct and secure. The drive is also not shown in Computer Management. The DVD drive is healthy. No idea what to do.

You must screw with your OS quite a bit to mess that (DVD) up!

Now for the Rear Sound - as I remember, there's some PINS on the HEADER that goes to the FRONT PANEL that you MUST JUMPER if you are NOT plugging in the FRONT PANEL. Remember me saying something about "plug into FP and Rear Is Disabled? ;) Look back at the links I gave - the info as to WHICH "pairs" is clearly given. That's all I'm going to say - YOU do some footwork from what's given.

Edited by submix8c

You must screw with your OS quite a bit to mess that (DVD) up!

Now for the Rear Sound - as I remember, there's some PINS on the HEADER that goes to the FRONT PANEL that you MUST JUMPER if you are NOT plugging in the FRONT PANEL. Remember me saying something about "plug into FP and Rear Is Disabled? ;) Look back at the links I gave - the info as to WHICH "pairs" is clearly given. That's all I'm going to say - YOU do some footwork from what's given.

No, I hardly screw with my OS. The DVD burner disappeared in Windows after I transferred the system into my new case and removed the CD-ROM drive and card reader to regain some power supply wattage so I could install a front fan to improve cooling.

I know that. I was ready to buy two jumpers to do that. If I were to attach the case front panel audio connector AC'97 audio to my motherboard's front audio header and if a pin was wrong, is there any chance of damaging my motherboard, or would something just not work?

(sigh...)

However, my system has no sound from the analog desktop speakers connected to the rear green output port. I thought the AC'97 audio case front panel connector was for only front panel audio?
I know that. I was ready to buy two jumpers to do that.
You just now said "OHHH!!! I forgot to mention, I realize the problem - scratch that one", otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.
The DVD burner disappeared in Windows after I transferred the system into my new case and removed the CD-ROM drive and card reader
You ALSO didn't mention that! We do NOT consult "crystal balls" here. Try this - go into SAFE mode and REMOVE those items from the Device Manager and REBOOT! I "assume" you set the jumpers on the back correctly?

(sigh...)

However, my system has no sound from the analog desktop speakers connected to the rear green output port. I thought the AC'97 audio case front panel connector was for only front panel audio?
I know that. I was ready to buy two jumpers to do that.
You just now said "OHHH!!! I forgot to mention, I realize the problem - scratch that one", otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.
The DVD burner disappeared in Windows after I transferred the system into my new case and removed the CD-ROM drive and card reader
You ALSO didn't mention that! We do NOT consult "crystal balls" here. Try this - go into SAFE mode and REMOVE those items from the Device Manager and REBOOT! I "assume" you set the jumpers on the back correctly?

I didn't think it was necessary. I mean, it's just a CD-ROM drive and USB card reader. I uninstalled the DVD burner, CD-ROM drive, and USB card reader in Safe Mode in Device Manager, but Windows never said it found new hardware after I logged back in and scanning for hardware changes did nothing. As far as I know, the drives' jumpers are correct. The WD hard disk is set as Master w/ slave present and the DVD drive is set as slave.

Edited by vipejc

1 - Have you "assigned" ("stuck") a Drive Letter to ANYTHING AT ALL?

2 - Look in "Computer Management->Removable Storage" and see if anything is "stuck"

3 - Look in Registry "HKLM->System->MountedDevices" and see if the old DriveLetters are "stuck"

4 - Does the BIOS (F1 ?) have the Secondary (DVD Drive) on "Auto"?

removed the CD-ROM drive and card reader to regain some power supply wattage so I could install a front fan to improve cooling.

Why would you think this was needed? Are you running below spec on PSU?

Not the live system, but when on UPS it would cause an overload, so the CD-ROM drive, which uses about 25 W, and the USB card reader, which uses about 5 W, had to go.

Edited by vipejc

1 - Have you "assigned" ("stuck") a Drive Letter to ANYTHING AT ALL?

2 - Look in "Computer Management->Removable Storage" and see if anything is "stuck"

3 - Look in Registry "HKLM->System->MountedDevices" and see if the old DriveLetters are "stuck"

4 - Does the BIOS (F1 ?) have the Secondary (DVD Drive) on "Auto"?

The only device that has a drive letter is the primary active system partition, with drive letter C:. As I said earlier, the DVD burner doesn't appear in Windows, so I can't assign it a new drive letter in Disk Management.

I suspect this has something to do with the IDE cables and jumpers. Even though they're correct, the BIOS doesn't seem to like many configurations. Here's what I've tried so far, and all IDE cables are good:

Single cable = IDE cable with 2 connectors

Double cable = IDE cable with 3 connectors

Single cable set to CS and single cable set to CS; no BIOS detection.

Single cable set to M and single cable set to M; no BIOS detection.

Single cable set to M and single cable set to CS; no BIOS detection.

Double cable set to CS and CS; Windows won't boot.

I have three more cable configurations to test.

The DVD burner isn't detected in Removable Storage. Remember, Windows isn't detecting the DVD burner, so nowhere will it be found in Windows.

Deleting the unused drive letters under HKLM > SYSTEM > MountedDevices did no good.

The BIOS does detect the DVD burner as Channel 0 Device 1 on auto.

Edited by vipejc