windows 8 -foundation package

Hi,

Currently we have configured a windows 2008 wds (standard R2) server - x64

We have added images of windows7 and windows 2012, windows 8 .( x64)...

boot.wim - 6.1.7600.16385 -x64

boot2.wim -6.2.9200.0 -x64

Deploying images using unattend file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
<servicing xmlns="">
<package action="configure">
<assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package" version="6.1.7600.16385" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral"/>
<selection name="SNMP" state="true"/>
<selection name="WMISnmpProvider" state="true"/>
</package>
</servicing>
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" processorArchitecture="amd64" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS">
<SetupUILanguage>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>

I am facing issue while deploying windows 8 and windows 2012

I want to enable snmp as per above xml for windows 8 and windows 2012

"6.1.7600.16385" - It works good for win 7

""6.2.9200.0" -It doesnt works and throws windows could not apply unattend setting during offline service - (eventhough i changed the version in xml).

If i remove the foundation package in servicing section I am able to deploy win7,8,2012 succesfully... but i need to enable snmp service from windows foundation.....

Also want to know "6.2.9200" -windows foundation package supports windows 7 also. So that i can add one boot.wim for win 7,8,2012 .Please help

P.S: All are 64 bit version

I don't see Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package as being a valid component for Windows 8. It isn't in the ADK. The two packages you list are still available in the OS however. See here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825549.aspx

Here is how to do it with Server 2012:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8setup/thread/94b36adf-d4b8-46c9-ad3c-b538b4b3741f

Did you try making a test answer file using the Windows 8 catalog and WSIM? Since those packages still exist, I am guessing that it uses a different component.

• 2 weeks later...

You will want to ensure that you are using Windows System Image manager (Windows SIM) from the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK), along with the Windows 8 Enterprise Trial or your volume license media. Both the Windows ADK and the Windows 8 Enterprise trial can be downloaded from the Deliver and Deploy Windows 8 page of the Springboard Series on TechNet.

Once you select the Windows image in the Windows SIM, it will prompt you to build a catalog file, which must be done. Once completed, you will see that the Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package is listed with a version number of 6.2.9200.16384. Add that to a blank unattend file, and the output will be:

<servicing>

<package action="configure">

<assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package"version="6.2.9200.16384" processorArchitecture="amd64"publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language=""/>

<selection name="SNMP" state="true" />

<selection name="WMISnmpProvider" state="true" />

</package>

</servicing>

Using the above steps in my own lab, I can confirm that this deployment completed successfully. It is also possible to load Windows Server 2012 into Windows SIM, and it will show the same package with the same version number.

For your second question, I suggest using different unattend files for each OS that you are installing to avoid conflicts. This is easily accomplished when you are using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, as it creates an unattend file for each OS automatically and changes are quick and easy. MDT integrates with WDS for PXE deployments, and can enhance your deployment environment with functionality that is not available with WDS alone.

To understand MDT a little bit more, I recommend the following two videos also available from the Springboard Series on TechNet:

· Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012

· Deployment Day Session 2: MDT 2012 Advanced

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Edited by WinOutreach4

• 2 weeks later...

Has this been resolved? I just posted a similar (almost identical) question about SNMP in an unattended mode. In looking at the second link in post #3, I see the package name that needs to be defined, but exactly which section of the XML file does it need to reside in?

Packages are in their own section, called ‘Servicing’.This section runs during the ‘offlineservicing’ pass, but is a stand-alonesection in the answer file. The TechNet article 'OfflineServicing'explains that when the offlineservicing pass begins, it will first call PackageManager and look for the ‘Servicing’ section in your answer file, then willmove on to the ‘OfflineServicing’ section.

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro