Laptop wifi card with 98 support.

cdoublejj

That card is RTL8185 based and there are lots of cheap mini PCI cards available on ebay ! I now know what my laptop will get :3

Are there any Win98 compatible wifi setups that support WPA2 ? I tested one D-link USB thing long ago but I cannot remember whether it did or did not support WPA2...

aaaww the belkin is for desktops only. So i guess look for "RTL8185" based solutions then.

also what software do you use to manage wifi connections. i might guess the windows software will not support a non Microsoft wifi card?

EDIT: snagged one on ebay for 3 bucks USD shipped and got some 98se inf drivers.

Edited by cdoublejj

I have finally got my laptop to use non Broadcom card and I have been trying to get Atheros AR5005G working, but I have had no luck at all. INF says 9x is supported but no driver has the 9x specific file, and none got the client program to go with the card.

I now have my eyes on a Ralink 2561F based card and Intel 2200BG (I will try out some Lenovo driver that got posted a little ago !

Success with Ralink RA2560F !

I used the RA2500 mPCI/PCI driver from Ralink site, it comes with the client and works nicely !

It understands what WPA2 is but cannot connect to it though... so that means I will change my Wifi settings a bit at home.

I could not get Intel 2200BG or Atheros AR5005G to work

• 1 year later...

Anybody know where I can find a working 98se broadcom wireless g driver/utility for laptop. AKA Dell truemobile 1300. I've pieced together an inf and sys from 06/2004. Driver loads ok, the utility I have is from 12/2004 and doesn't work.

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320

bcmwl5.sys

Google: "Dell truemobile 1300 win9x"

First two links provide the needed info: wpc54g_driver_utility_v1.21.zip

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"martin mayer" <mama@inter.net> wrote in message news:<opr8i49ntpfumbpw@news.online.de>...

> hi,

>

> does someone know, if there were somewhere windows 98 driver for the

> TrueMobile 1300 (Broadcom 54g)?

Try this:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/wpc54g_driver_utility_v1.21.zip

Use only this version of this driver and not the newer one!

Works fine with my notebook and the DELL TrueMobile 1300 with win98!

Michael

ftp.linksys.com is down, so Google: "wpc54g_driver_utility_v1.21.zip" and follow links to Modem-help or DriverGuide. File is 8.3MB.

• 2 weeks later...

Word of warning :

The util replaces IPHLPAPI.DLL for something newer/different and it breaks a ton of programs that KernelEx can make work such as Foxit Roader.

I don't have compatible hardware but I was interested in trying out the util. After uninstall it does not restore the original file. I had to extract it from windows install CD.