10min boot with clean install

Not my own build, an ultrabook. Resumes fine from sleep, but not from cold start. As stated above all of the extra boot time seems to be because of that 32gb ssd soldered to the motherboard.

Still suspecting that 32gb SSD as a cause, can't initialize or anything else. Tried this command from different forum to make it ready to use, but as you can see no luck.

post-367674-0-22160200-1354956478_thumb.

I will kep looking for a way to initialize that SSD, but feels like I've tried everything I could find. Really stuck on this, can usually solve issues or worst case a clean install fixes it, this is a new one for me.

Why did you specify to create an AF partition? You don't need to set an ID on it.

Looking at the teardown, we can see that the SSD is infact soldered to the board.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Asus+Zenbook+UX32VD+Teardown/10120/2#s37426

If the diskpart error in fact means the ssd is bad, its a shame it cannot be removed or replaced.

I'm doing some other research and it is possible that the SSD is locked? I know you cleaned it. I would recommend using the Windows 7 install DVD and use the CMD.exe in it to attempt to create a partition on the SSD.

Also, others have had this problem as well it seems.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/679687-ux32vd-issd-not-detected-2.html

Edited by Tripredacus
moved and merged topics

Ok, tried installing intel rapid storage technology as suggesedin the other forum Tripredacus linked to... suddenly changed to a 90s cold boot instead of 10min, still can't initialize the iSSD thoug, "due to I/O error...

Tried installing the intel rapid start technology as well, but says I don't have enough system requirement, suggested in different forum it was due to the RAM upgrade, 20gb needed for the rapid storage and 1gb per gb of ram. the 32gb disk says 29gb available and i have 10gb ram so...

Will run a boot trace when i get home and post it here in case someone better at this than me wants a look.

Sort of think I'll just give up on that 32gb and leave it be. Things seems stable.. not that I understand the issue though.

Possibly already checked/suggested, but is the SSD in GPT or in MBR "mode"? :unsure:

Compare with:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/672616-guide-ux32vd-how-install-windows-7-integrated-32gb-ssd.html

jaclaz

I didn't bothing bringing that up since in the previous posts it is clear that the OP used Diskpart to "clean" the drive. This should reset its drive type right? If it is a GPT disk from the factory, and he runs Clean command, the disk should not be anything right?

I didn't bothing bringing that up since in the previous posts it is clear that the OP used Diskpart to "clean" the drive. This should reset its drive type right? If it is a GPT disk from the factory, and he runs Clean command, the disk should not be anything right?

The linked to tutorial seems to me like implying that this is not the case, that's why I thought to bring up the issue.

That tutorial in a nutshell says that if the "existing" disk/partition/filesystem is not "converted to MBR" when it is validly "formatted" (please take all the terms used in this sentence as "vague" and not exact) the only way is to intitiate an ATA Safe Erase:

Alternative method to convert the iSSD from GPT to MBR

Follow this guide: How to Secure Erase your SSD with Parted Magic

You will need the 6_19 version of the .iso or newer!

Proceed to Secure Erase the iSSD. Be very careful when doing this.

I've done this and it works perfectly.

which points to this other tutorial:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227597/how-to-secure-erase-your-solid-state-drive-ssd-with-parted-magic

though essentially the same can be made with hdparm:

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

surely from Linux, but most probably from a PE too, see:

http://reboot.pro/topic/13601-software-to-wipe-a-systemdrive-from-windows/

and possibly also from DOS using the (but DOS may have issues recognizing the disk drive/device):

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

jaclaz

The linked to tutorial seems to me like implying that this is not the case, that's why I thought to bring up the issue.

It didn't seem right to me, but its easy enough to do a test. Now I do recall that WinPE 2.x diskpart operated a little differently, so perhaps it is knowledge leftover and not corrected. However, at least in WinPE 3 and 4 (x64) it is easy enough to test. I can confirm that if you use the CLEAN command on a GPT disk, it does indeed revert the disk back to MBR format, or at least it ceases to be GPT. Consider this result:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 55 GB 0 B

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> convert gpt

DiskPart successfully converted the selected disk to GPT format.

DISKPART> list disk

* Disk 0 Online 55 GB 55 GB *

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> list disk

* Disk 0 Online 55 GB 55 GB

DISKPART>

It didn't seem right to me, but its easy enough to do a test. Now I do recall that WinPE 2.x diskpart operated a little differently, so perhaps it is knowledge leftover and not corrected. However, at least in WinPE 3 and 4 (x64) it is easy enough to test. I can confirm that if you use the CLEAN command on a GPT disk, it does indeed revert the disk back to MBR format, or at least it ceases to be GPT. Consider this result:

Sure :), this is "logical" :thumbup but, I am afraid, "general/generic" :w00t: .

What I suspect is that the specific hardware the OP has *somehow* implements some non-standard features that (still *somehow*) "connect" the BIOS with the disk device and it's partitioning, at least this is what I can understand from the given links.

And still I have not seen any mention in the OP posts about having attempted the conversion using either Disk Manager or diskpart.from GPT to MBR.

In any case following to the letter that tutorial, that seemingly has worked for several users, cannot in any way make things "worse" than they are now.

jaclaz

Well, I tried the parted magic, downloaded and made a bootable USB, starts of ok, but just leads to a black screen.

Whatever the issue was it was fixed by installing the intel rapid storage driver. 90sec seems a bit long for cold boot, but it works, better than 10min at least. Everything else seems to be stable, no freezing or crashes at all.

Installed CIV V again and even that works, so doesnt seem like that was related to the issue either.

• 2 years later...
Hi!

I have the same trouble with Asus ux32a.

I think SSD Sandisk is broken.

When I power on my laptop and enter BIOS I can see SSD Sandisk and after reboot it disappear.

I replace hdd with new Intel SSD, but no changes...

I reinstalled windows and again no changes...