XP 64 install issues.

Win98

Hey, I'm trying to install Xp 64 bit on my HP desktop. When I try to install it in ACHI mode, it blue screens right after the "Setup is starting windows" screen, but in IDE mode, it installs fine. I assume I just need to slipstream a SATA driver for my chipset, seeing that it installs fine otherwise.

I would just leave it installed under IDE, but for some reason everything on the computer is slow as hell. (Programs that should install in 5 minutes install in 5 hours) The processor usage is low, and it is using little ram. Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm linking it with IDE mode(But that may not be the issue). Anyone have or know where I could obtain a driver? Any help is appreciated.

Here are my specs:

HP Pavillion p6000

FoxConn Mobo, model 2AB1

AMD 785G chipset

Southbridge model SB700

AMD Athlon || x2 220 2.8ghz

8gb ram

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Win98

What is PIO mode?

I'm trying to find a proper driver so that I don't have to use IDE. I tried slipstreaming the driver you gave me when I was installing 2k, but it said the file was missing when I went to install... I'm running low on discs to experiment with , and the WinSetupFromUSB program I have (Which I believe I got from here ) gives me an error saying that it "could not install grub4dos MBR"

Ah, My secondary controller was stuck in PIO mode. I dont want to jynx it, but it feels a whole hell of a lot faster. I hope my HDD isnt failing.. The computer isnt 2 years old yet, and I really haven't used it that much.. I turn it off when i'm not using it, unlike my other computers, that are older and run 24/7 and knock on wood, still work.

Man, You are a big help. Thanks!

PIO would make almost everything use 100 percent of CPU!

If Windows goes to PIO mode, it means you need to replace your ATA cable or you have a bad ATA controller.

Also may be caused by too high of PCI-E clock!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP