Can't create folders inside folder?

bookie32

Hi guys!

Do not understand this....

I had created a file system on one computer running windows 7 and tried to update the same file system on another computer....nada?!

After checking my files matched each other I erased the unsorted files and tried to replace them with the new ones all sorted in their folders...When I transfer them they are unsorted and without folders?!

I have tried looking at the folder PHOTOSHOP on the computer I am trying to update and sure enough I can't create folders in it?

I have erased it created a new folder and as soon as I name it PHOTOSHOP it denies folder creation....don't understand...I haven't changed any user rights etc.

Does anyone have any ideas....

bookie32

Hi again!

OK! I have managed to copy files to the folder PHOTOSHOP and see them in their allotted folders, but there is something wrong somewhere…

I can provide pictures if needed…although Swedish…lol

OK! This is the situation. I moved my user account to another drive and in this instance it is H:\Martyn\mina document\PHOTOSHOP. If I open a direct link to that hard drive and PHOTOSHOP it shows my file structure as normal…

If I open explorer and then look at my folder structure on the left I have Library: Pictures, Document, Videos, and Music. If I click on “Document” it opens that folder and gives me my file structure on the right- but if I click on PHOTOSHOP on the right it opens with no file structure and no folders?!

What is even more strange is if I click on the arrow by “Document” on the left to see all folders in My Documents – I can then click on PHOTOSOP and it shows the right file/folder structure?!

If you don’t understand my ramblings – then say and I will put up some pictures.

Bookie32

Hi jaclaz!

Might of known you would be around....lol

OK! can't upload here any more?! Put the pics on skydrive for you to have a look at...

PIC1 I have gone via the left menu "Bibliotek" and clicked on the arrow by "Dokument" and just opened the menu there no problems...

PIC2 I have gone via "ME" on "H" drive and no problems...

PIC3 I have just clicked on "Dokument" in the left menu and then gone into PHOTOSHOP from the right and then it is as shown. If you look at the top you will see on PIC1 and PIC2 it has "Ny Mapp" (new directory/folder) but not on PIC3

bookie32

and :w00t:

Really I cannot understand:

1. what exactly you did
  2. what exact result did you expect
  3. in what exactly what you got differs from what was expected

If on the left panel of Explorer you select "Documents" on the right side you only see files that are registered as "Documents". (as in "Welcome to the senseless navigation panel of Windows 7" :w00t: ):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/206803/win7_file_nav.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/libraries

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd861346.aspx

or, if you prefer, this is "by design" :ph34r:

jaclaz

Hi again!

It is probably me not explaining my self...taken pics again and they are here.

In the first I have clicked on Dokument on the left and on the right I have the contents of My Documents. I then click and open PHOTOSHOP from the files on the right as shown by the red box on pic1.

When I open it that way there are no folders with all my documents in their own folder....I just get all documents in PHOTOSHOP as shown in pic2.

In pic three I have clicked on the arrow beside Dokument in the left menu and then open PHOTOSHOP that way and you can see my folders with files in their own folders...

Why are the contents of all those folders shown in pic2? I have always clicked on Dokument in the left menu and then gone to PHOTOSHOP from the right, but now I just get all the documents together instead of their own folder. Any other folder I click on from the right has its contents as they should be and I can create more folders, but not in the case of PHOTOSHOP?

There are 16 folders in PHOTOSHOP and in pic2 there are just documents?"

It has always worked before...

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

You've shown one way I have always have had problems with the Library folder. It can be very confusing. I'll throw out some stuff here, but I have not rechecked my facts, every time I try to look some of these things up I just get more confused, so take everything I say with a great big grain of salt and I could be totally wrong. If I am, please don't jump down my throat, just please gently correct me.

As jaclaz said, I think what you are seeing is "by design". Remember that the Library, I believe, is just a virtual folder, it's just a collection of links to files and folders from all over your system that have been collected there for your convenience. And even though the folder PHOTOSHOP is "there", doesn't mean you can always access it and add stuff to it as you think you should be able to. As a comparison, consider "Documents and Settings". In Win 7, to even see it, you have to un-check "Hide protected operating system files" in Folder Options/View, but even then you can't open the folder directly or add anything to it. But if you open up a "Run" box from the start menu and type in C:\Documents and Settings\'Your-user-name here'\desktop you'll find that that opens up your desktop folder the same way that C:\Users\'Your-user-name here'\desktop does. I know it's not an exact comparison, but it's the closest I could think of. Anyway, I don't know how your PHOTOSHOP folder was made "special", just as you don't either. But to avoid those confusing situations I tend to not use the Library.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Cheers and Regards

Windows 7 (and Vista) uses display names as well as folder names. I encountered some problem with these "virtual containers" when trying to work on a manual file backup. The computer in question ended up (somehow) with 2 Users folders. Only one appeared in Explorer, but 2 of them actually exists. The other one ended up as Users2. I couldn't get the old data merged (time constraint) so the backup data was scrapped and we used Ghost to image the disk for backup. You can see the naming different in this pic:

2users.jpg

I had made a thread about it here but can't find it.

... it's just a collection of links to files and folders from all over your system that have been collected there for your convenience.

I would call that INconvenience ;), but that doesn't matter.

Basically, as I see it, in order to help people that have no idea on how to store documents (and later find them) the good MS guys invented this approach:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd861346.aspx

With Windows 7, the concept of Libraries tries to address the problem of users storing content all over their PC by allowing them to have full control over their Documents Library folder structure. In other words, in Windows 7 users can define which folders to include in the Documents Library. Actually, this is true for any Library in Windows 7. We can say that Libraries are user-defined collections of folders that are logical representations of user content. By including folders in Libraries, the user is telling Windows where his or her important data is located. The system will index these folders, enabling faster searching and much richer viewing arrangement capabilities in Windows Explorer based on the file properties and metadata.

but failed to find a way to easily distinguish such "virtual containers" from real ones, so that anyone actually familiar with "real containers" get utterly confused by this "new" feature.

jaclaz

Hi guys :hello:

Some interesting stuff....lol

I can still do what I want even if I have to go around the houses to do it....good old Microsoft.....

On another note.....keep getting asked about upgrading to Windows 8.....lol People want the latest even if you tell them it is crap....:w00t:

Thanks for your time guys!

bookie32

On another note.....keep getting asked about upgrading to Windows 8.....lol People want the latest even if you tell them it is crap....:w00t:

Reminds me of some audio clip or maybe a video about someone who wanted an iPhone, no matter what. Even after being shown an android phone that prints money. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...