Extract(RIP) Windows XP from DVD

geldjunk

First of all, sorry if I used the wrong words. (feel free to correct me so I keep learning ^^)

I have a DVD that I used to format my harddisk.

But the thing is it also install some programs that was standard delivered when i bought that PC.

What I now want to do is get only Windows XP out of it, is that possible ?

Here is some info what's on that DVD.

MAP - HP - 12,0 kB

MAP - I386 - 1,49 GB

MAP - PRELOAD - 963 MB

MAP - Tools - 170 MB

Notepad - Master - 4,00 kB

Welcome to MSFN.

Have you tried using nLite on it? If so, has it shown you which folders were safe to remove/delete?

The only thing I can say by looking at the size of I386 (about the same size as an installed XP on a live system) is that it may probably be tricky. Also, the PRELOAD folder seems rather big and is probably important.

Can you make a screenshot of the folder structure inside I386 and PRELOAD?

Cheers

Look at this. The I386 is much too large and probably follows the folder scheme of the link.

Also look here for some basic information on an HP Recovery Partition that you MIGHT have.

Here and here is also some (relatively) good info.

Also look here. You'll need a good KeyFinder to get you INTERNAL key (not the one on the COA sticker).

Edited by submix8c

So far I created WIN51 and WIN51IC

With nLite I can remove the folders: hp, PRELOAD and Tools.

And this is what it said about these folders:

"Scanned folders in your installation that are not critical or covered in other options. Select if you don't use them."

Folders inside I386

Apps - 815 MB

ASMS - 7,53 MB

COMPDATA - 2,77 MB

DIST - 2,17 MB

Drv - 99,3 MB

DRW - 300 kB

Fonts - 23,8 MB

inf - 148 kB

LANG - 99,4 MB

SYSTEM32 - 113 MB

WinSxS - 5,29 MB

"APPS" is all of that garbage software that you don't want.

I assume that "DRV" is your drivers.

You will (probably) need at least one other WIN51IC.SPx file ("x" is a number). Do you have an "SPx.CAB" in the I386 folder ("x" is a number 1, 2, or 3)?

FYI - "Standard" dates for XP files are:

No Service Pack - 2001

Service Pack #1 - 2002

Service Pack #1a - 2003 (removes JAVA only)

Service Pack #2 - 2004

Service Pack #3 - 2008

There will be many "modified" files in your I386 folder with different dates. If you have SP2 or earlier, it may not matter. If SP3, it may cause some problems recreating it.

Some links given propose using the I386 folder on your Hard Drive instead of from the CD. This would be your "best bet" since the Reload "separates" the non-XP folders to the C-drive, just like the I386 folder. Do you have an I386 folder on your Hard Drive? If so, look at the contents and compare to the DVD - they WILL be different. ;)

Please answer the two "do you have" questions to ensure that you will get a "cleaned out" XP install. You may keep your nLite'ed files for the time but MIGHT need to start over, depending on the answers you give.

Side question - what's your computer's model (HP Model #???)?

Click spoiler for some generic info

ASMS - on original

COMPDATA - on original

DIST - not on original

Drv - not on original (but you will need the contents)

DRW - on original

Fonts - not on original

Inf - not on original (but MIGHT need contents)

LANG - on original

SYSTEM32 - on original

WinSxS - not on original

The folder structure on the DVD is specifically made to allow for Reload of everything. There's usually a "base image" within the Preload folder (somewhere) that's "dumped" to the HDD, then the OTHER folders (not I386) are "dumped/restructured" then the folders within I386 are "dumped/restructured" and the STANDARD I386 (excluding the "extras") and contents are "dumped". At this time, the Sysprep/Preload process is started after reboot, thus installing the extra "garbage" "Apps" that subsequently get installed "automagically".

Side note (AFAICR) - folders DOTNETFX (SP1 and up), SUPPORT, and VALUEADD sometimes wind up on your HDD - these are part of the "Standard XP" CD.

At least this is how I remember one of those DVD's to have worked (my description is kind of "generic")...

Interestingly (AFAICR), if you allow the DVD Reload (from scratch) to begin/run (the "copy phase as previously described), it's possible to NOT (first) reboot from it (let reboot BUT get into BIOS temporarily to allow time to REMOVE the DVD) and use some sort of LiveLinux or LiveXP instead (THEN proceed to boot) and see the HDD as it is usually shipped from the factory (out of the box). You will then (usually) see a "Sysprep" folder. HOWEVER, this is not necessary for your purposes - just an FYI.

(spoiler is to remove "clutter" info)

Edited by submix8c

I got my I386 folder now from C:\WINDOWS

I used nLite on it:

Product name: Windows XP Home Edition

Language: Nederlands (Nederland)

Service Pack: 0

Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Size: 455,48MB

But there are 2 SP2 files in the I386 folder, the only thing is, I dont know if there is a .CAB file

And my computer is a Compaq Presario SR1649NL

Edited by geldjunk

So far I created WIN51 and WIN51IC

With nLite I can remove the folders: hp, PRELOAD and Tools.

And this is what it said about these folders:

"Scanned folders in your installation that are not critical or covered in other options. Select if you don't use them."

Folders inside I386

Apps - 815 MB

ASMS - 7,53 MB

COMPDATA - 2,77 MB

DIST - 2,17 MB

Drv - 99,3 MB

DRW - 300 kB

Fonts - 23,8 MB

inf - 148 kB

LANG - 99,4 MB

SYSTEM32 - 113 MB

WinSxS - 5,29 MB

I got my I386 folder now from C:\WINDOWS

I used nLite on it:

Product name: Windows XP Home Edition

Language: Nederlands (Nederland)

Service Pack: 0 <--- IMPOSSIBLE (see below)

Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Size: 455,48MB

But there are 2 SP2 files in the I386 folder, the only thing is, I dont know if there is a .CAB file

And my computer is a Compaq Presario SR1649NL

Open Windows Explorer and click the following in order -

"View" tab -> check "Details"

"Tools" tab -> "Folder Options" -> "General" tab -> "Use Windows Classic" (DON'T EXIT)

(same) "Tools" tab -> "View" tab ->

- check "Show Hidden..."

- UN-check "Hide Extensions..."

- UN-check "Hide Protected..." ("OK" for WARNING)

Click "Apply" button then click "Apply To All Folders" button

Now you can see EVERYTHING. You can "Reset Defaults" on any page later to UN-DO.

Your PC.

Operating System

* Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

* Microsoft Service Pack 2

Create a folder on C-Drive (e.g. "XPNLITE") using "File" -> "New" -> "Folder" (make SURE you name it)

Copy "I386" FOLDER from DVD to INSIDE the "XPNLITE" folder.

Create these INSIDE the "XPNLITE" folder (missing - must be why nLite thought Service Pack 0) -

WIN51
WIN51IC
WIN51IC.SP2

Keep all folders marked "on original" and DELETE the others -

Apps - not on original (the junk/bloatware)
ASMS - on original
COMPDATA - on original
DIST - not on original
Drv - not on original (your DRIVERS - MOVE from "I386" to inside "XPNLITE")
DRW - on original
Fonts - not on original
Inf - not on original (but MIGHT need contents)
LANG - on original
SYSTEM32 - on original
WinSxS - not on original

Download Netherlands-language Network Install Service Pack 3 from here (CHANGE to "Dutch") and save to "My Documents".

and get the OEMBIOS files and put in "XPNLITE\I386" folder. You'll need a good KeyFinder to get you INTERNAL key (not the one on the COA sticker) - WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE.

COPY "XPNLITE" folder to your "My Documents" (to save for later).

Point nLite to the "XPNLITE" folder and ONLY INTEGRATE SP3 FILE you downloaded and allow it to BURN TO CD.

This is your "first try" BEFORE Integrate Drivers (the ones inside the "Drv" folder). You MAY not need these since you can get all of them from here.

Burn to CD the "XPNLITE" folder that you saved in your "My Documents" folder.

You now have a COPY of the unchanged "XPNLITE" folder on CD, an XP with SP3 CD made by nLite (without ANY extras OR Drivers), AND the original Restore DVD. Since you STARTED with SP2, the SP3 Slipstream "overlayed" any HP-modified files Please note that you WILL have some extra HP-files you really don't need inside the "I386" folder - that's the reason I gave the date of "2004" for your files (anything NOT "2004" BEFORE you used nLite you DID NOT NEED).

You'll need to Boot from the nLite CD, FORMAT the C-Drive, ReBoot, then Install to that C-Drive to TEST. After that, you'll want to do a DVD-Restore to get your Drivers integrated for a final run IF it works.

I used this as a guideline to make my Windows XP Setup CD

Here are some question before I test it out.

I dont understand the post above about KeyFinder, can someone tell me how to get INTERNAL key if there is any ?

Do I really need to install those drivers ?

Or does it install standard one within Windows XP

As mentioned above I created a Windows XP Setup CD.

Why are the Folders DOCS SUPPORT VALUEADD empty ?

What files should be there ?

I might not need it but I want to create an as full version of windows xp before I make a lighter version of it ?

I Have a Windows XP Pro which i was unable to update.

There is a file there: BOOTFONT (what is it for)

And there is another file AUTORUN

Can I just copy it ?

1 - I used this as a guideline to make my Windows XP Setup CD

Here are some question before I test it out.

2 - I dont understand the post above about KeyFinder, can someone tell me how to get INTERNAL key if there is any ?

3 - Do I really need to install those drivers ?

Or does it install standard one within Windows XP

4 - As mentioned above I created a Windows XP Setup CD.

Why are the Folders DOCS SUPPORT VALUEADD empty ?

What files should be there ?

I might not need it but I want to create an as full version of windows xp before I make a lighter version of it ?

5 - I Have a Windows XP Pro which i was unable to update.

There is a file there: BOOTFONT (what is it for)

And there is another file AUTORUN

Can I just copy it ?

1 - I gave that as INFO and there was ANOTHER link right at the top. I gave you EXACT instructions. Did you follow them or ignore them?

2 - Read this and read LINKS given in post #2. Phone Activate (COA key) or Already Activated (OEM-specific Internal Key) - your choice. Provide as well here is a more specific explanation. Keyfinders are EASY to "find" and are legal to use - Magic Jellybean is popular.

3 - Yes, because those MS "default" ones may NOT exist or may NOT work as well. For example, you MAY not have SOUND because of the OEM-Specific driver that's necessary. I'm going to BET that the "Drv" folder contains a set of INF's and Files within sub-folders FOR YOUR SPECIFIC COMPUTER and the link I gave is for ORIGINAL which you have already) and NEWER ones.

4 - (See #1) Where did you find DOCS, SUPPORT, VALUEADD folders? POTENTIALLY, they are in the "Apps" folder. I've only encountered YOUR version of OEM Restore once (AFAICR) and have no time to look for my OEM Backups used for repairing other peoples' PC's. I WILL tell you that the LATEST "SUPPORT" and "VALUEADD" (and DOTNETFX, which you didn't notice is ALSO missing) are in the ISO version of "Service Pack 3" (found here). DOCS (for SP3) folder has ONLY a GIF image that's displayed when you click on the HTML-files (two of them - README.HTM and SETUPXP.HTM)in the ORIGINAL XP-cd. You WILL NOT be able to make a FULLY ORIGINAL from your Restore DVD -or- your HDD files - You have an OEM-Modified SP2, which is why I told you about the (hopefully) overlay of the MODIFIED files by the Slipstream of the SP3 (they get REPLACED with UNALTERED ones).

5 - IF that "no good" XP-Pro is an SP3 (DATES=2008) then you CAN copy ALL if the Folders I mentioned form IT to your HDD's "XPNLITE" folder, including ALL of the files in the ROOT of the CD to "XPNLITE" folder.

* - I am SUSPECTING you did NOT follow my instructions to enable displaying EVERYTHING since you did NOT call "BOOTFONT" instead of "BOOTFONT.BIN" since that IS the name of that file. In addition, strangely enough, Microsoft claims it's for East Asian BUT this (and others apparently) state it's necessary for ANY non-English. Are the files you mentioned on the XP-Pro CD you have? You also mentioned AUTORUN (really "AUTORUN.INF", if you'd have change Windows Explorer Options as I TOLD you to do) and there is an ADDITIONAL file at the ROOT of the CD, namely (in ADDITION to the HTML files I mentioned) "SETUP.EXE" (which is what the "AUTORUN.INF" points to). These files are (NORMALLY) ONLY good if you're going to UPGRADE a PREVIOUS version of Windows. Your CD/DVD is an OEM-version and there are OTHER folders MISSING inside YOUR "I386" Directory, NAMELY "WIN9XMIG", "WIN9XUPG", and "WINNTUPG". To complicate this even MORE, YOUR version is Netherlands and the files are Language-Specific.

** - Please note that it APPEARS that SOME Folders/Files MISSING will be Slipstreamed (AFAIK) but not ALL of them. The DOCS-folder and ROOT (SETUP.EXE and the HTML-files) appear to be the ones, but NOT BOOTFONT.BIN (unknown IF you need it) or AUTORUN.INF (you NEED it, so COPY it).

Again, you will NOT be able to Recreate an EXACT CD due to the DVD being OEM and language-specific UNLESS the XP-Pro-CD is ALSO Netherlands, in which case you CAN copy JUST THE MISSING FOLDERS and Files to "XPNLITE" folder. Still, this WILL NOT MAKE AN EXACT REPLICATE of one you purchase - will NOT happen! In addition, I DID point out that MANY files INSIDE I386 will NOT be even used since the ARE added by the OEM.

Notes -

IF you SORT (before integrating SP3) you COPY of the "XPNLITE\I386" Folder by DATE and REMOVE all files INSIDE I386 that are NOT dated 2004, THEN you will have removed ALL of the "modified/added" HP/Compaq files. THEN Integrate SP3. Follow MY instructions (in addition to this FURTHER information), please. OTHER links given are for REFERENCE and not to be followed!

HTH

Questions -

1 - What is the Label (Volume Name) on the XP-Pro CD?

2 - Do you have a "WINNT.SIF" file INSIDE YOUR XP-Home "I386" DVD Folder (do NOT post it, just say if you HAVE one)?

Comment -

CHANGE YOUR WINDOWS EXPLORER OPTIONS so you can see... EVERYTHING, please! SOME files WILL BE HIDDEN, otherwise!

Edited by submix8c

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I created so far:

Windows XP Home Edition

Nederlands (Nederland)

Service Pack 2

Version 5.1.2600.2180

Size 467,36MB

ROOT of CD:

DOCS

I386

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

LEESMIJ .html (english should be README)

SETUP .exe

SETUPXP .html

WIN51

WIN51IC

WIN51IC.SP1

WIN51IC.SP2

I used Product Key on COA sticker to install it on ANOTHER computer.

now my questions are:

Where can I download the windows updates for slipstream with nLite? (link)

Is there a way to find drivers for a (Random computer)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Which instructions ?

4. after I created boot disk, at ROOT of CD

SETUP.EXE , WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG, WINNTUPG not missing

Only the BOOTFONT AUTORUN and those emty folders compared to the XP pro CD (at ROOT CD)

And this noobie dont know where Windows Explorer or forgot how to get there ?

http://xdot.tk/updates.html

Download them one by one for your language except for the ones that end in .cab. Let the UDC script make those.

Since you are on XP Home, read footnote 11.

Edited by -X-

This is what I created so far:

Windows XP Home Edition

Nederlands (Nederland)

Service Pack 2

Version 5.1.2600.2180

Size 467,36MB

ROOT of CD:

DOCS

I386

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

LEESMIJ .html (english should be README)

SETUP .exe

SETUPXP .html

WIN51

WIN51IC

WIN51IC.SP1

WIN51IC.SP2

now my questions are:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Which instructions ?

4. after I created boot disk, at ROOT of CD

SETUP.EXE , WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG, WINNTUPG not missing

Only the BOOTFONT AUTORUN and those emty folders compared to the XP pro CD (at ROOT CD)

And this noobie dont know where Windows Explorer or forgot how to get there ?

1. Post #9 - DO IT!

4. Reread #4 - did you get the ISO Image from the link I provided? I SAID it has three folders you should COPY to you HDD "XPNLITE" folder - DOTNETFX, SUPPORT, VALUEADD.

* - Did you notice I said that the SP3 Package does NOT contain the COMPLETE CONTENTS of WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG, WINNTUPG? You can PROBABLY copy those folders from the XP Pro you have (they are the same AFAICR) IF IT IS ALSO NETHERLANDS, and also the others (BOOTFONT, AUTORUN).

To get to Windows Explorer (see Post #9), just open My Documents OR it's in

Start->Programs-Accessories

Once there, click on the "Folders" button to get the left/right pane view (you'll see what I mean). Now follow the instructions for SEEING EVERYTHING!

Question#1 - You said

after I created boot disk
What do you mean by that? This?
This is what I created so far
So you actually CREATED a Physical CD, or just the FOLDER I said to make, or somehow you created ISO Image?

Question#2 - Why do you have a WIN51IC.SP1 file? Where did it come from? Your SOURCE is SP2 (per the LINK I gave to YOUR SPECS).

Question#3 - You said

So you DID create a CD? How? More important Did it Install without errors and WORK?

Comment#1 - In reference to Question#3 - you are aware that's not necessarily legal? The COA key belongs to that SPECIFIC computer. Also, did you get the Four OEMBIOS Files and INTERNAL Key as I instructed you to do?

Comment#2 -

For YOUR computer, I already pointed you to them. For ANOTHER computer, find out what it is and go the the Manufacturer. Edited by submix8c