Sercurity-SPP Event 16385 Error Code 0x80041316

MarkJohnson

I had three tasks that were complaining that "The task XML contains an unexpected node" when running the Windows 8 Task Manager.

One of the tasks was also generating huge numbers of errors in the Windows event logs, which is why I investigated the problem in the first place.

I fixed it by just re-importing the tasks from the Windows installation CD, as has been suggested I see.

thanks for the confirmation that this works :)

I had three tasks that were complaining that "The task XML contains an unexpected node" when running the Windows 8 Task Scheduler.

One of the tasks was also generating huge numbers of errors in the Windows event logs, which is why I investigated the problem in the first place.

I fixed it by just re-importing the tasks from the Windows installation CD, as has been suggested I see.

thanks for the confirmation that this works :)

Yes it does, and I just noticed I said "Task Manager" when I meant "Task Scheduler" of course!

:blushing:

I've corrected it where I can to stop anyone reading this in the future getting confused!

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you have a Windows 8 CD like mine, it may well have two versions of Windows 8 on it, the normal version and the Pro version.

If you look at the contents of the CD there will be two folders, called "1" and "2".

Windows 8 Professional is in folder 1 and Windows 8 is in folder 2 on my CD.

You can conform this by looking at the contents of the XML file which is with the folders.

It probably doesn't matter with the tasks, although some may only exist in the Pro version, but other files you may extract should be the ones for the right version of Windows 8 of course!

:)

Edited by Dave-H

• 2 years later...

Hi Mark!

You do need access to the "install.wim" file on a Windows 8 CD, or another source.

MS seem to have abandoned CAB files in favour of this, which I didn't know not having used anything later than XP!

This compressed file seems to contain the Windows system files.

It can be opened with 7-Zip, at least that's what I used, just Google for it, it's free.

Note that you will need version 9.30 of 7-Zip though, which is an Alpha version, but seems OK.

I couldn't open the .wim file with the current release version, 9.20.

There were a couple of error messages when I opened the file in 7-zip, but it all seemed to still work OK.

Open the Windows 8 Task Scheduler, and identify the faulty tasks from the error messages.

Make a note of their names.

Look in the Windows\System32\tasks folders on your machine and find and delete the files that correspond to the faulty tasks, whichever sub-folder they are in.

Make a note of the names and which folder each one was in, to make sure you put the replacements in the right folder!

Then reboot and go back to Task Scheduler. There should now be no error messages.

Go to Windows\System32\tasks folder in the install.wim file using 7-Zip, and browse for the task files you want to replace.

Use 7-Zip to copy them to your desktop.

Now you need to replace the files with the good ones.

The vital thing to do is that you must put an ".xml" extension on the new files, or Task Scheduler won't import them!

The extracted versions on your desktop won't have any file extensions at all, so you'll need to add them.

Once you've done that, go back to Task Scheduler, and look for the folder(s) in the tasks library where you want the files to go.

When you have the folder open, right click and select "import".

Import the appropriate file from your desktop.

Its parameters window should open, and just click OK.

It should appear in the list, but the entry will look very sparse.

This should come good when you re-boot.

I did mine one at a time for safety, re-booting each time I added one.

Fortunately I only had four to do!

Once you've done that, the entries should be complete again, and no error messages!

I'm off to bed.

Good luck!

Cheers, Dave.

smile.gif

Dave-H, I know this is an old topic, but do these problems and solutions really ever become obsolete? I was having this same error:

Failed to schedule Software Protection service for re-start at 2015-09-26T17:48:09Z. Error Code: 0x80070002

Thanks to your post here, and another on MSMVPs, I followed your exact instructions, identified three tasks that had become corrupt, deleted them, restored them. One of them was problematic because the original task had bad lines in the XML:

<RestartOnFailure>       <Priority>3</Priority>       <Priority>PT1M</Priority>     </RestartOnFailure>

I replaced those with the proper values given to me fro the MSMVP forum and rebooted, no more errors every 30 seconds and no more corrupt entried in TAsk Scheduler. I tried to post the proper key values for the XML file, but it would not let me. But the values as they stand confuse the system. They are supposed to be:

<Priority>7</Priority> 
    <RestartOnFailure> 
      <Interval>PT1M</Interval> 
      <Count>3</Count> 
    </RestartOnFailure>

and once I entered those and re-imported the file, the errors stopped. It was impacting my system severely. Thanks a lot.
Edited by XweAponX

Glad it helped you!

:yes:

Actually purely by coincidence I had to repair several task on my machine again only a couple of days ago, so had to re-remember the procedure.

They must have got corrupted after I installed the Windows 10 "upgrade" and then swiftly reversed it by restoring an ISO backup of 8.1!

I later noticed that the automatic system maintenance wasn't kicking in, and I found that two of its associated tasks were corrupted.

:)