Users folder moved to other partition

dariods

Hi,

In win 7 by default files downloaded by browser or download manager, files transferred by camera or scanners and so on are saved in the C:\Users folder.But incase a format is required saving the files is a very tedious job.

Is a good idea to move the user folder to D drive?

On re-installation of windows using the method to move user folder,will it work i.e the data stored by software would get restored?

I don't know about the entire user folder but you can move things like your desktop, downloads, favorites, my music, my pictures, etc. Simply open Windows Explorer and go to <username>. Cut and paste the folders to D. The registry will automatically be updated.

Don't forget to then do a daily backup of your D drive to a separate physical disk so that you don't ever lose your data.

Edited by -X-

• 1 month later...

Hi,

In win 7 by default files downloaded by browser or download manager, files transferred by camera or scanners and so on are saved in the C:\Users folder.But incase a format is required saving the files is a very tedious job.

Is a good idea to move the user folder to D drive?

On re-installation of windows using the method to move user folder,will it work i.e the data stored by software would get restored?

Alternatively, I store no user data under the folder \users\myWindowsID. I store all user data., including downloads, documents I create with MS Office apps, Quicken files, everything, in folders in a separate D (DATA) drive. When, not if, Windows gets messed up, I just reload the OS, apps, etc. Apps like Norton Internet Security self-update anyway.