Best low powered monitor

MarkJohnson

I need a monitor upgrade for my budget computer. I have a small computer room and it heats up real quick and after upgrading my system to low powed parts it still gets warm quickly. My monitor is a 27" led IPS monitor and uses 67watts and is very warm and I think this is where my heat is coming from now.

I would like a low powered monitor preferably 24" or greater and 1080P or better.

Thanks for any help

-=Mark=-

Many of the features seen on HD TVs with power saving are also available in computer displays. Unfortunately, data on temperature of the displays themselves are not readily available when looking at specs. I wonder how close the relation of wattage to temperature really is... Anyways, I found some page about different "green" displays you can get, for example:

CNET lab estimates that this monitor pulls an average of 17.96 watts when the screen is fully lit. Based on their estimates, it should cost $5.64 to operate per year. However, when the monitor is in energy saving mode, it uses only 10 watts of power

http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-computing/reviews/65304.aspx

But the obvious problem is that you wouldn't know exactly if any display is what you need until you could actually use it in that room.

I wonder how close the relation of wattage to temperature really is...

I would say very close.

The actual power consumption, once detracted the amount of light emitted by the actual screen (which should be more or less a constant for a given "type" of display, i.e. LCD vs. LED vs. Plasma :w00t:) all goes away as "heat".

As an example, given that MarkJohnson's current display:

1. is 27" in size
  2. uses 67 watts of power when fully lit
  3. is a LED monitor

replacing it with this one that uses roughly 40W:

http://www.aocmonitorap.com/root/anz/product_display.php?id=35

will need to add a 30W heater :w00t: to get the same temperature in the room :ph34r:

http://www.rittal-corp.com/products/product_details.cfm?n1Id=4&n2Id=20&n3Id=33&pn=3105330

jaclaz

Well, I searched low powered monitors and got this review at cnet:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57467022-1/top-5-lowest-power-consuming-ips-monitors/

but it's for ips monitors and it claims the Dell U2412m 1080p uses 27.5 watts.

cnet review of U2412m

Power consumption: Armed with an LED backlight, the Dell UltraSharp U2412m achieved fair power consumption, with a Default/On power draw of 27.5 watts, compared with the Dell UltraSharp U2410's 63.69 watts in the same test.

In our Sleep/Standby test, the U2412m costs 0.59 watt and the U2410 pulled a lower 0.47 watt. Based on our formula, the U2412m would incur more than double the cost of the U2410, with a per-year pull of $19.32, compared with the U2410's $8.63 per year

Dell says otherwise:

ELECTRICAL

Voltage Required:

100 to 240 VAC / 50 or 60 Hz + 3Hz / 1.5 A (Max)

Power Consumption:

38 W (typical) / 72 W (maximum)

Not sure how they come up with such a wide range power draw. I checked mine at idle and then ran a video in full screen (1440p) and power draw went down 4 watts? go figure.

I may settle for a TN panel if I can get lower power draw, but all of my searches seem to come up IPS only.

Thanks for your replies guys.

-=Mark=-

As i bought a Philips Brilliance 241P4QYES looking for a low power 24" *va monitor, i would recommend it.

One review is there.

Official site for one of its feature.

It has a lot other like an anti theft system.

Its consumption (official and real) is very low (about 30W or less most of the time when used).

As i bought a Philips Brilliance 241P4QYES looking for a low power 24" *va monitor, i would recommend it.

One review is there.

Official site for one of its feature.

It has a lot other like an anti theft system.

Its consumption (official and real) is very low (about 30W or less most of the time when used).

I like that monitor. I like the sensor that knows when you walk away and dims the screen a little.

The price is a little high, but I like that it uses the VA panel which are a lot better than TN displays.

I definitely have it bookmarked, but I may not be able to afford anything for myself until after the holidays.

Thanks

-=Mark=-

ps, I put my monitor on a kill-a-watt meter by itself and see it actually pulls 81-82 watts. It drops to 74-76 when playing full-screen videos. Kind of strange as you'd think it would put a greater load on the screen switching colors constantly rather than one constant image.

Edited by MarkJohnson

I can't seem to find anyone carrying Philips monitors. Searching there site I found another one with better power rates (23.4 watts).

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=241P4QPYEB/27&hlt=Link_ProductInformation&mid=Link_ProductInformation&scy=US&slg=AEN

I found one at Amazon for the one above for like $400+ and 1-3 week delivery from some other outfit. They must not be readily available to the public.

I'm just worried they are similar to the new Samsung monitors that have a new panel type. I forget the name and lost my links on a windows reinstall, but it got a lot of bad reviews. Probably just a new technology and needs quirks wrinkled out.

-=Mark=-

• 1 month later...

OK, I found this new Dell S2440L 2013 model. Looks really nice and only uses 18w and it's a VM monitor. It's on sale for $219.99.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9801&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch

They also have a 27" version that is an IPS model and 21Watts but quite a bit more at $369.99. I may go with it for the extra large print it will have since it is a 1080p and not the 1440p other usually are at 27" and IPS.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=225-3894&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch

Let me know if anyone else finds a good low-powered unit.

-=Mark=-

• 1 month later...

Update:

I purchased the Dell S2440L 2013 model. I ended up with $230 after x-mas so I just got this one. The 27" would have been nice, but this is a nice size and good color/brightness.

It uses 17.1watts according to my kill-a-watt meter. The monitor brightness setting is at around 75%. I forgot to measure the wattage at 100% rightness, but I remember it wasn't all that much more.

I didn't notice it was a touch screen for the monitor buttons. I wish I would have seen that before ordering or I would have went with a different monitor. These touchscreens don't like my prosthetic hands at all.

It also doesn't have a vesa mount on the monitor. It's a shame as I was thinking of building a NUC system next. I think it would have been a nice fit on the back of the monitor.

All-in-all it is a very good monitor for the price. I am very pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone.

-=Mark=-