Directly connect two machines via phone cable?

tgp1994

Hi everyone,

I know this sounds like a bit of a strange request, but I was wondering if it may be possible to get two machines to communicate/network over their modems while being directly connected with a standard RJ-11 phone cable?

My reasons are fairly simple (albeit convoluted): To get a very old machine (with no ethernet port, and a crappy wireless card) to share my internet connection with a laptop, which just so happens to have a built in modem. That laptop is then wirelessly connected to my home network.

I'm sure some of you are screaming "Do something else! Buy a network card!" But alas, I am cheap, and I think it would be cool to actually get this to work. I realize that connecting two computers with an ethernet cable may not be exactly the same as connecting two computer's modems, but I feel that since networking can be done over a modem, then why not to another modem?

I'm just hoping that there may be some super hidden but really cool trick/hardware that allows for this. Either something that emulates the handshake occurring between a machine and an ISP when a dialup session is established (virtual phone network, anyone?), or some way that can somehow establish a serial connection over the modems.

Thank you for any help!

Edited by tgp1994

Google and look up "null modem". It is essentially one piece of what you are talking about. Connecting two computers directly through their modem connections, typically RS232. The two computers will then be able to communicate with each other, but to share an internet connection is a whole different problem that I don't know if you will be able to solve.

Cheers and Regards

I'm just hoping that there may be some super hidden but really cool trick/hardware that allows for this. Either something that emulates the handshake occurring between a machine and an ISP when a dialup session is established (virtual phone network, anyone?), or some way that can somehow establish a serial connection over the modems.

You may have issues with the ringing/powering of the telephone line, but it's doable.

See here:

OP in there - as often happens - left as soon as the going got tough..... :w00t:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/quotes?qt=qt0479926

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

[thinks hard of something to say]

Bluto: The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

:thumbup

jaclaz

Google and look up "null modem". It is essentially one piece of what you are talking about. Connecting two computers directly through their modem connections, typically RS232. The two computers will then be able to communicate with each other, but to share an internet connection is a whole different problem that I don't know if you will be able to solve.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks bphlpt,

Isn't that for serial connections though? I'm not sure if that applies to me, I'm just trying to connect these computers with a phone line. Serial isn't really an option :\

You may have issues with the ringing/powering of the telephone line, but it's doable.

See here:

OP in there - as often happens - left as soon as the going got tough..... :w00t:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/quotes?qt=qt0479926

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

[thinks hard of something to say]

Bluto: The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

:thumbup

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz!

You're right, I'm definitely having problems with ringing... It almost seems like I need that in order for these computers to pick up that automated process of establishing a connection. I was messing around in hyperterminal and managed to get my machine to start playing familiar sounds (with the ATA command), although getting both computers to do that didn't really seem to do anything.

I tried following the guide referenced in that article, although I'm not really sure what program on the "server" machine is supposed to handle the incoming call...

I tried following the guide referenced in that article, although I'm not really sure what program on the "server" machine is supposed to handle the incoming call...

The modem must be put in "waiting mode", it is described in the article (still AT commands), it may work or may not without the ring/line voltage, the rest is "connection wizard"

http://www.maturion.de/dreamcast/mterlouw/inconect.htm

on 9x it is "Dial-up server":

http://www.maturion.de/dreamcast/mterlouw/configpc.htm

jaclaz

BTW, Serial is a route (but slow), and Parallel is also a route. They both are Direct Cable Connect (same concept), Parallel being "faster". Just in case you don't get the Modem thingy going. ;) BUT, by all means, keep up the experimentation. If it DOES work, we'd all be interested in the process. :thumbup

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Sorry for the very late bump, but I'm afraid I have some bad news... I won't be able to continue working on this project, as I no longer have access to appropriate hardware :( I'm sorry to let you guys down... I sure as heck wanted to get this working. Maybe I'll be able to pick this back up later, or someone else might make a break through :)

Thanks for the support, everyone!