nLite forgetting settings?

KapnJackSparrow

basically nlite doesn't load all of the setting from the presets for example it consistently forgets to add in the driver for my wifi (it will work fine if I manually enter it in) but why is it not loading all of the setting from last session?

is there a path length limitation ?

It shouldn't. Windows does have a path+name limitation, but then I don't see why it would work when entered manually. You must have changed something since the creation of the ini file. Attach (not paste) the ini file.

it consistently forgets this line W:\S\~ Install\Drvs\Laptop\IBM Lenovo Thinkpad = W500 Type 4062-26U\04 WiFi Link 5100 = 802.11 abgn\Intel\WinXP = 32, 64\NETwNx32.INF,0

even though it is included in the file, it also forgets Internet Explorer-Disable sound when popup is blocked and a few others in there that I can't remember.

it forgets the all settings under [users], even though they are stored under Last Session (205811.23-10.31.45)_u.ini where they should be.

it forgets about 100 entries under [Components]. interestingly loading the Last Session under those sections seems to fix the problem. the preset files I have saved along the way are identical but do not work.

I have even tried copying the last session to see if that makes a difference. it does not.

both ini have the same problem.

Last Session (205811.23-10.36.53).ini

W500-5.ini

I would try changing your paths to eliminate spaces and special characters ( like ~ and = and . and , ) and see if that makes any difference. You should be able to make them just as readable by using Capitalization and - and _ characters. It might not make any difference at all, but why ask for potential trouble? Shorter paths are usually preferable in many situations, not just when doing a build, so I would also do what you can to shorten things.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

I changed the path since the path I was using was for archival only. I have just been to lazy to move it.

keep in mind that the driver wasn't the only thing it was forgetting and since it is stored at the bottom of the ini it is unlikely to be screwing up everything else.

as for fixing the problem It deleted all presets and regenerated them from scratch which seems to have fixed the problem.

as for special characters there isn't even any alt-255's in that path ;)

it forgets about 100 entries under [Components].

Are you starting from exactly the same set of files ?

There is a known bug, I'm not sure it applies to your case.

example;

you have XP SP2, you choose "integrate Service Pack" and "Remove Components", you run nLite integrating SP3 and remove some languages or components that were added by SP3. the ini file is created with "add Serevice Pack" and "Remove language x".

Next time you load your SP2 and that same ini file, nLite will check components that are not present and consider them as already removed, then adapt things to do (overrule the ini file), then proceed integrating SP3 then removing stuff according to the modified ini file then resave the new ini file. Your language x is not present at start and will not be removed, even if added in the middle of the process.

Workaround is to integrate SP3 then proceed with a new nlµite session.

Thank you that seems to make sense with what I have observed.

I am jumping from Sp0 to Sp3 disk since it is more efficient.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned before but another interesting "bug"

is that nlite seems to remove the super hidden bit on desktop.ini inside the working directory. which is kind of annoying but is easily fixed by making a backup copy of the files. and simply copying them back once your finished the set up.

Edited by KapnJackSparrow

Nope it's still doing weird things.

the nlite doesn't have any trouble loading the .ini files anymore but it just doesn't quite respect it. for example it doesn't disable shared documents like it is supposed to, it seems to hide one of the user accounts (as in it doesn't show up under control panel > user account settings) however it can still be logged into interestingly enough if I set a password to both user accounts it seem to pick the one with the first letter in the alphabet and hides the other, if one doesn't have a password it displays that account and hides the one with the password.

set status bar to all windows doesn't work, a popup for windows tour shows up.

it's a mess.

since I am having troubles with user accounts I posted a censored copy of the user data as well to see if anything jumps out at you.

W500+addons.ini

W500+addons_u.ini

Please confirm you are doing this;

-copy your SP0 in a folder on your HDD,

-apply SP3 to it (manually or with nLite, I think it does not create an ini file in this case).

-run nLite loading your Last session.ini.

I've had trouble playing with users as well but it was too long ago. What I would do is get rid of the _u file so it loads only the "last session.ini". I suspect loading the _u file with modified users then remodify that section is bugged, because nLite thinks you modify something that exists (your modified Admin name) when it does not.

Your new admin should NOT appear (with or without password) on the users list, and I guess the builtin "administrator" still exists in your setup but ... doesn't show on that screen.

• 2 weeks later...

that is Confirmed. sorry I was away for a while.

I have made a Raw copy of my service pack 0 disk* to the hard drive, then I make a copy of that for Nlite to work with. I always start with a fresh copy before nliting.

I then run integrate service pack. apply the SP3 then I close Nlite.

I then Restart Nlite and import the Session I was working with (the one uploaded here).

the settings now appear to be correct (your advice fixed the settings from being unchecked)

However Nlite does not seem to follow them very well. I deleted all of the session.in and Session_u.ini files and manually recreated them (with the same settings) to make sure that the file wasn't somehow corrupted... that did not fix the problem.

in my case I am renaming the System Administrator account to Admin_str (so that it makes it a little more secure over a network) and assigning it a password.

I am also creating a new normal administrator (that is part of the Administrators group) with the name Murrrrr. What is interesting is that if Murrrrr does not have a password (which since it is my personal account I originally left blank for easy testing) then Murrrrr shows up on the welcome screen just fine and Admin_str is hidden (as it should be). Now if I tell Nlite to assign Murrrrr a password so that both Murrrrr and Admin_str have a password. Murrrrr becomes hidden and Admin_str shows up on the welcome screen (what I would expect is for Murrrrr to show up on the welcome screen with Admin_str to be active but hidden and the renamed guest account to be hidden since the guest account is disabled with all 3 visable under control panel > user account settings ).

what is really weird is that if I go to the control panel > user account settings does not show Murrrrr at all. I see Admin_Str and the renamed guest account. (normally I would expect to see both Murrrrr, Admin_str and the renamed guest account under user account settings) however if I hit crtl+alt+del+del at the welcome screen and manually enter in the account info for murr it does log me in.

under the tweaks section I checked "Remove Shared Documents" from my computer. and they still show up under my computer they didn't use to and I don't know why they do now. set status bar to all windows doesn't work and again it use to. I do get a like 1 second pop up for windows tours that show up when I log in which shouldn't be the case.

interesting Nlite seems to install unusually fast 4:30 minutes as appose to about 10 from a working install. it feels like it is not completing the Nlite configuration however just about everything else works (all versions of .net up to 4.0 are integrated, direct x is integrated,as well as all of the visual C++ libraries, drivers etc)

*(the disk I am using is a windows xp professional academic edition, which irritatingly rejects most of my serial keys legit, pirated, or borrowed and even the legit key which I personally purchased and I am currently using causes warning in the event log that I have 30 days to validate (I have not noticed any other problems with it). I am guessing they put something in the Sp3 compilation I am using. normally I prefer to use pirated corporate keys and a wabbit to beat wga even though I own many legitimate copies of windows since it is quite honestly less of a hassle. But since this is the only Sp0 disk I have at the moment that is what I am using.) could the version of windows or the validation be what is causing me troubles?

• 1 month later...