Do my hardware vendor's drivers suffice for Win8?

colore

The "missing" drivers (audio & video) from Win8 x64 are probably also found in Win8 x64 installation (by default), so that's why they are not included in the list.

The only way to find out is to install Win8 x64. ;)

Edited by Win2k3EE

I have found that some drivers will not install on Windows 8 because the installation package checks for what is installed already. Windows 8, being so new, actually does have some signed manufacturer drivers in it already, not just random Microsoft ones. Depending on what the board actually is, I'd expect audio and video drivers to get an update at some point in the future, and then become available on that site.

but the Realtek implementation in my Gigabyte motherboard maybe be unique and may require a customized driver

It's very unlikely (why would they use a customised driver for LAN and sound card?). They are just the standard Realtek drivers. It's (almost) always better to use the newest version of drivers from the manufacturer website, not the drivers listed by Gigabyte simply because the ones listed by Gigabyte are usually not updated very often (if ever).

but the Realtek implementation in my Gigabyte motherboard maybe be unique and may require a customized driver

It's very unlikely (why would they use a customised driver for LAN and sound card?). They are just the standard Realtek drivers. It's (almost) always better to use the newest version of drivers from the manufacturer website, not the drivers listed by Gigabyte simply because the ones listed by Gigabyte are usually not updated very often (if ever).

okay, and how do i see the components of my motherboard that need driver, so that i will search for them in their respective manufacturers' websites?

Depending on what the board actually is...
If you'd be so kind as to specify, then assistance may be forthcoming. <--Needed

If you in fact have a fully functional OS installed try looking in Device Manager for each Hardware (e.g. the Realtek Audio) by right-clicking "Properties" and clicking "Details - the exact VEN_DEV will be listed and you proceed from there. ;)

Edited by submix8c

Depending on what the board actually is...
If you'd be so kind as to specify, then assistance may be forthcoming. <--Needed

the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.0)

If you in fact have a fully functional OS installed try looking in Device Manager for each Hardware (e.g. the Realtek Audio) by right-clicking "Properties" and clicking "Details - the exact VEN_DEV will be listed and you proceed from there. ;)

the hardware appearing in Device Manager are the hardware i need drivers for?

Yes... Have you looked there? Get the string listed and do a GOOOOOGLE search and hope you find Windows8 drivers for it. In fact, the links given may have them (e.g. Realtek Audio). Download the package and see if the INF-file has that string in it. If so, then VOILA!!!

From Realtek

High Definition Audio Codecs

Audio drivers available for download from the Realtek website are general drivers for our audio ICs, and may not offer the customizations made by your system/motherboard manufacturer. To be sure you obtain the full features/customizations provided in your original audio product, please download the latest drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer's website.

But it WILL work if the VEN_DEV string is present. I do NOT know if Win8 drivers are there.

IN FACT!!! the Gigabyte Website has Windows 8 drivers. Did you look there?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3415

(above is for your Rev 1.0 board) AND it appears that there are only 3 drivers needed, all others must be within Windows8. ;)

Edited by submix8c

• 3 weeks later...