Windows Logon Screen Background Color

[FMC]Ravage

Leave it to Andre Ziegler to find cool undocumented reg values using ProcMon. You're amazing, man! :thumbup Always find your posts helpful.

I wish the horrible ugly logon screen should show an image like the Windows 7/Vista logon screen. That feature is "moved" to the Lock screen. :(

Edited by xpclient

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Something changed in Windows 8.1. For Win8 I use this AutoIT script at the start:

RegWrite ( "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent" , "ColorSet_Version3" , "REG_DWORD" , "0x0000000e" )	RunWait (@ComSpec & " /c taskkill.exe /f /im explorer.exe")	Run(@ComSpec & " /c Start c:\windows\explorer.exe")	$metro = "1"

This changes the metro screen to red (from the default). And it works in Windows 8.1. However after the work is done, this part does NOT change it to green (or anything). But later if I change the reg key to 0x0000000b, and restart, the color still stays as red. I've tried other hex codes and they do not make any difference. Even if I manually change the registry key, and either kill and re-open explorer or restart the computer.

I should also note, that in Audit Mode, you can't launch explorer.exe nor cmd.exe from Task Manager unless you check the "create this task with administrative priveledges" box.

Using that tool doesn't seem to work. Not even changing the colors in the app. I can select the new color from the list but the little boxes remain the same. I do see that it writes *something* to the registry, but I cannot determine what those hex values relate to. They are not standard hex color codes. I rebooted as well but it didn't change anything.