HP dc7700 formfactor

mirfanmian

please help experts of this form i am using (WinSetupFromUSB) from last three years without any problem but last week i buy new pc

hp dc7700 when i buy this pc the bios version was 1.15 and my bootable usb was working fine than i suddenly update the bios to 1.16

now my pc cannot detect bootable usb any more same . i try to downgrade but not succeed please help me for the solution!

Edited by ilko_t
Font normalized

How do you start from USB? Do you use a hotkey (F11, F12 etc.) or you enter BIOS and make changes on boot order? Is there hard disk priority option? Where is USB disk in it?

Does another USB disk behave the same way?

Have you tried to reformat the USB disk in the same way it was before? Are you sure nothing has it been changed meanwhile?

Can you post in "normal" font and font size like all other people do?

See Rule #11:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

11. Do not use CAPITALIZATIONS in the topic title or when participating in threads because they will not attract attention - instead it will annoy many of MSFN's members. Using unnecessary font formatting (i.e., bold font, increased font sizes, colored fonts, etc.) on the full body of posts is also discouraged.

jaclaz

How do you start from USB? Do you use a hotkey (F11, F12 etc.) or you enter BIOS and make changes on boot order? Is there hard disk priority option? Where is USB disk in it?

Does another USB disk behave the same way?

Have you tried to reformat the USB disk in the same way it was before? Are you sure nothing has it been changed meanwhile?

when i am making bootable usb through (Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool) it working great and fine on my pc at same bios and same setting in bios but when i making my bootable

usb through (WinSetupFromUSB) it is not working not only my hp dc7700 but i check also hp dc7800 hp dc7600 hp dc5800 and some other hp models. actually i am from Pakistan and i am the owner

of computer sell and repairing shop i am facing this problem only on HP branded models in other models like DELL it is working fine .

please remember in old hp bios it is working but new hp bios it will stuck on black screen nothing happen until remove the bootable usb pc stay on black screen

i am taking about only mentioned HP models other models i don't know.

it is also not working on hotkey F9 !

bootable order is correct and set on usb !

but when i making my bootable usb through (WinSetupFromUSB)

How do you do that? Which program are you using, there are a few of them included, what options, or is it the auto-format feature, which options?

Which make/release is the BIOS?

The most likely is that the grub4dos MBR first sector is recognized as "non-suitable", there are a number of BIOS releases that will do that, the debate being if this was done for incompetence (I tend to believe this) or in a deliberate sabotage attempt :ph34r: (as some other people are convinced of).

Read this:

http://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=10503

BUT there are also several other reasons possible, including size of the USB device and filesystem used.

Additionally HP's (some models) like most Lenovo's use a "queer" BIOS CHS geometry of 240/63 (instead of the usual 255/63) at least on internal devices (there are no "solid" reports of this applyung to USB devices too AFAICR).

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23147

Make SURE that you also read the aging but still substantially valid FAQ#10:

http://jaclaz.altervista.org/Projects/USB/USBfaqs.html

jaclaz

it is not working not only my hp dc7700

Broken BIOS?

Do you use grub4dos bootloader at MBR?

Use a windows MBR and add grub4dos bootloader to partitoin boot code.

many many thanks to cdob finally i successful

i install grub4dos via RMPrepUSB software now i can boot on any bios

i like (WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta8) this softwre it is very easy to use and make different os on single usb so i cannot leave this

finally i am happy to solve my problem

By the way- latest 1.0 beta8 has an auto-format option, which uses FBInst to prepare the disk. Can you try it on those problematic machines? No need to select other options, just the auto-format one.

Then you can test on the machine if you get to the boot menu.

I have used WinSetupFromUSB Beta 8 to format 37 plus drives...some USB 3 and some USB 2 and some internal HDDs. I am using the FBInst auto format with end results as NTFS. I can say as of today I have had no issues with any model make of computer I boot to other than older XP machines that don't like USB booting anyway. I wish I had an answer but as of today any HP (other than super old ones) I try to boot my WinSetupFromUSB FBinst auto format NTFS drives to always work for me. I will stay tuned as I am curios for an answer or if I think of anything, I will post.

Edited by laddanator

There are actually already all the answers needed (with the exception made for the specific results of a direct test of the fbinst formatting to the specific machine).

fbinst is an exceptionally good tool :thumbup , that achieves almost (if not fully) 100% bootability on *any* system.

In order to achieve this exceptionally good results it goes - in several ways - beyond and well over "common standards".

A stick partiioned/formatted/prepared with fbinst is a VERY good solution :yes: if - like in the case of WinsetupfromUSB it is an "install media", or if you prefer it is used in a "format once and forget about it" approach.

Still, since it goes out of the said "common standards" it is incompatible with a number of tools (particularly "Commercial" and "Easy to use" ones) related to partitioning/re-partitioning/etc. so it is NOT :no: a good-for-all solution.

As a matter of fact also installing the grub4dos grldr.mbr to the MBR (and following few "hidden sectors") is already out of these standards, and this is the reason why (besides the mentioned incompatibilities with some BIOS/Motherboards of the grub4dos MBR code) - normally - I don't suggest the installing of grldr.mbr, but rather using a "common" MBR code that simply loads the Active Primary partition.

The above mentioned "incompatibilities" are NOT however a problem for "people that know where their towel is", but the number of really hoopy, froody guys/gals is relatively limited, whilst the number of whiners :ph34r: is exceptionally large, so the warning is nothing more than a preventive measure for the latter peeps, in order to be able when (and they will before or later) come whining because they lost some data or managed to - just after having made the "perfect" ultimate booting thingy - mess it up badly, to tell them:

STOP whining, you had been told it was dangerous!

jaclaz