Does anyone still have this Windows 98 patch?

coolman

Okay, so there is this patch I want to obtain, but it is no longer available from Microsoft. I went to the direct link but it said the file didn't exist. The file name is 256015USA8.EXE and the description is DOS Device in Path Name Vulnerability Patch. This page, however, does still exist:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms00-017

Does anyone still have this?

Thanks!

Okay, so there is this patch I want to obtain, but it is no longer available from Microsoft. I went to the direct link but it said the file didn't exist. The file name is 256015USA8.EXE and the description is DOS Device in Path Name Vulnerability Patch. This page, however, does still exist:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms00-017

Does anyone still have this?

Thanks!

Most probably it is integrated in the 98SE USP:

Always check MDGx's site for HotFixes. He has a good percentage of them linked or archived. ;)

Q256015

(sometimes they will be renamed to "Q+ the KB#" rather than the original "KB# + (locale) + (5, 8, or M for 95/98/ME)"

Which version of 98 are you using? First Edition or Second Edition? If Second Edition, there is a later version of the file involved in this fix...

Edited by LoneCrusader

According to microsoft, the file 256015usa8.exe contains a newer version of Ifsmgr.vxd. Specifically (for win-98se) version 4.10.2223, dated 03/02/2000. On my system, I have version 4.10.2225, with a file-date of Sept 19/2000.

So there is a more recent version than the one you're looking for.

Mdgx has a newer unofficial version IFSMGR.VXD 4.10.2227 which is already included in SP. http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q301540.EXE

===============

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Q301540 IFSMGR.VXD 4.10.2227 Fix

IMPORTANT:

Install this Fix ONLY IF you have ANY 0 (zero) Bytes *.INF files!

===============

Can anyone elaborate on that "zero-byte" inf file installation criteria?

===========

NOTE: If you have several thousand 0kb OEM*.inf files, delete those files first. If after deleting these files, the issue still exists, then apply for this hotfix. Use the following steps to delete any files found:

===========

If I have several thousand 0kb inf files, I'd be p***ed off. How would I get those files back?

And what caused them to have zero size in the first place?

And what if I *DON'T* have any zero-size inf files?

Will installing this hotfix screw up my system?