Virus in hdden restore files

maccolin

Got the "Win32.worm.Benjamin.a" virus from Kaza and cleaned it up except for files that are in " c:_RESTORETEMP" I can't do anything with them and there are 2145/2782 files infected in that folder.

so any help that doesn't not include reformating or reinstaling WIN ME will be great.

Also what is the faster way to transfer files( or better yet folders) P2P between win ME and XP pro .

:)

Got the "Win32.worm.Benjamin.a" virus from Kaza and cleaned it up except for files that are in " c:_RESTORETEMP" I can't do anything with them and there are 2145/2782 files infected in that folder.

so any help that doesn't not include reformating or reinstaling WIN ME will be great.

What AntiVirus software are you currently using, does it not clear out the infected files in C:_RESTORETEMP ?
Also what is the faster way to transfer files( or better yet folders) P2P between win ME and XP pro . :newbie:

Basic Windows folder sharing, or using a LAN messenger that can send files (via UDP) seems to be the fastest way. The only way I've found to squeeze the most out of my 100mbit network is to send files via Vypress Messenger, reaching a peak of 9mb/sec to 11mb/sec

If that wasn't what you're talking about, and you wanted a P2P client for swapping files with 50 or so users on your LAN, then get a program called Lanster. Its pretty good.

system restore sucks.

personally, i disable it, in any system that supports it.

one solution would be to disable it. then you can get rid of the virus. if you have an antivirus it should detect it. if not, then delete the folder.

by the way. there is program around the net that searches for the specific virus, and deletes it. it is similar the one for the "klez" virus, you should probably find it somewhere in the symantec site.

useing mcafee and it detects it just won't clean it , and neither with the other programs designed just for the virus. I'll try to disable the system restore and see if it can be cleaned then. but you can't modify the folder or file due to windows uses it and the folder doesn't show in dos. (it's a tricky folder)

:newbie:

Thanks for the leads on p2p. I want to max transfer over my lan but I also want to send files to my kids ofer the net but kazaa won't let you find users ( that I know how , I use kazaa light ) , Edonkey doesn't want to connct and direct connet , well i'm not sure if it's working or not ? ... Thanks for the help so far...

:)

Thanks for the leads on p2p.  I want to max transfer over my lan but I also want to send files to my kids ofer the net but kazaa won't let you find users ( that I know how , I use kazaa light ) , Edonkey doesn't want to connct and direct connet , well i'm not sure if it's working or not ? ...   Thanks for the help so far...  

If yo want to send files to your kids on the internet, then you all should use an Instant Messenger program such as MSN Messenger or ICQ, which supports file transfer.

Or set up an FTP Server for them to access with BulletProof FTP Server 2.15

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

DEATH TO KAZAA

On a lighter note ( :) ) just download a Virus Scanner, I recommend McAfee, or if you have a large memory, Norton. With McAfee do a scan in safe mode. Don't make an emergency disc! The virus will go onto it.

If none of that works ( I bet it will in safe mode) you can always run the virus scanner that came with the PC. Some PCs have a virus scanner on the motherboard CD and others have one in the BIOS. It all depends on how advanced the motherboard is. Check the motherboard manufacturer's web site for a BIOS update and see if it includes a virus software update for the BIOS. Download the update and instructions from a different PC to be on the safe side.

If none of that works ( I bet it will in safe mode) you can always run the virus scanner that came with the PC. Some PCs have a virus scanner on the motherboard CD and others have one in the BIOS. It all depends on how advanced the motherboard is. Check the motherboard manufacturer's web site for a BIOS update and see if it includes a virus software update for the BIOS. Download the update and instructions from a different PC to be on the safe side.

Most of the time they're old, crap and out of date. :)

In order to get rid of the worm, it requires booting to dos from a non-infected startup disk, and at the command prompt typing in attrib -r -a -s -h and then deleting the infected files by using the delete command. If u dont kno how to use it, at the command prompt type delete /?. This will tell u how to use it. Deleting them will not have any effect on ur system, but u will need to create a new restore point if u use system restore. U cannot delete them from windows cuz windows me locks the files in the hidden _restore directories so u cant delete them, as windows is constantly writing restore info to it. Once you've done this turn off ur pc, and run a virus scan on ur comp to ensure the virus is gone.