Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 (Retired!)

steven4554

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

and Otter 1.0.81 open the Cote website fine without HTTPSProxy enabled.
Opera 36 does as well, but again without the background video.

Otter v1.0.81[weekly300-xp] uses OpenSSL 1.0.2o, so that fact alone empowers it with support for a plethora of cipher suites (and TLS versions); not only a great number of cipher suites are already enabled by default, you can also add additional ones (out of the many OpenSSL supports):

73L2Yld.jpg

However, the xp (and Vista) compatible package (compiled with QT 5.6.2) uses gstreamer as the media backend; because of patented decoders (h264, aac) licence issues, the distributed binaries lack support for h264 decoding and this is a deal-breaker for me in today's media-rich web; the Win7+ packages are compiled with a higher QT version (5.13.1, requires Win7+) which comes with support for the native WMF framework (present in Vista+), enabling access to OS provided patented decoders; to cut a long story short, Otter v1.0.81 on XP/Vista will load fine cote.co.uk, but won't play the background video...

The reason Opera 36/XP doesn't, also, play the background video is quite similar; the browser (unlike Chrome 49) doesn't come bundled with a h264 decoder, the OS has to provide that through WMF; but, as you know already, XP lacks WMF :(. FTR, Opera 36/VistaSP2 does load the site and does play the background video...

Best regards :)

Lots of great info as usual, major pity I'll forget most of it soon (just hoping to find it again later when some day needed), but a simpler lesson to take away from this:
Contrary to previous theory, Mozilla-browsers are NOT the only ones supporting modern (?) ciphers on older systems. Just about every other browser can do it too - EXCEPT one: IE!

@VistaLover

This is off-topic, but there is a workaround for Otter to get YouTube and Facebook videos working on XP.
You need to download this -
https://otter-browser.org/tmp/otter-browser-xp2.zip
Then you need to copy the "Lib" folder over from that version to the current version.
I did that ages ago, and it still works.
See this thread for more detail.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

(Continuing, hopefully not for long ;) , OT discussion about media playback capabilities of Otter Browser under XP/Vista)

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

See this thread for more detail.

Many thanks for that link, which also uncovered the rest of the official Otter Browser Forum for me :thumbup; thing is, I only keep Otter here as an oddity item, not investing serious time in educating myself about its peculiarities and overall development :( ... I did read, though, the whole linked thread and have to say the real money is on the very last post there, by member maxxproff :

There is one additional library libgstlibav.dll at lib\gstreamer-1.0\ at this archive.
Without this dll all other builds won't play video!

It's in fact that huge (77.4 MB) DLL alone that gives the "-xp" (QT 5.6.2 based) Otter builds h264 (and VP8) decoding support; so this is a big improvement compared to the stock XP/Vista builds :cheerleader:
 But that support alone will only allow for the reproduction of standalone MP4 files (local files or ones streamed via progressive download, such as 360p & 720p avc1+aac youtube encodes); however, as also pointed out in that post, with this solution there's still no support for MSE, despite setting

about:config => QtWebKitBackend => EnableMediaSource : Yes

So, MP4 files streamed over MPEG-DASH , like youtube's higher resolution (e.g. 1080p+) encodes (separate video/audio streams), won't be played back (actually, they don't appear as options at all...).

This is made clear using the (now archived) YouTube HTML5 test page:

Vx1oc0K.jpg

Inside the blue-lined rectangle, functions enabled by the standalone libgstlibav.dll file...

That fix has been really appreciated though, many thanks indeed! :cheerleader:

Cheers! :)

No problem!
I keep wondering whether Otter should be given more prominence in the "browsers that work on XP" threads in the XP section here.
I've been monitoring it for years as the intention is to replicate Presto Opera, which I used for many years and was considered by many to be the best browser ever produced before it was cruelly abandoned in favour of yet another Chromium-based browser. Unfortunately Otter's development has been at a glacial pace, I suspect because there's actually very few people working on it, and although they did finally get to an official release, it's still very far away from something I would want to use as my default browser.
All credit for them for maintaining XP compatibility though!

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

On 11/20/2019 at 4:56 AM, VistaLover said:

Perhaps Chrome 49 has native support for that cipher suite and only uses the Windows Store for certificates, NOT using Schannel like IE does

... And a nice find I stumbled upon just now (!) :

On 12/31/2016 at 5:08 PM, Ninho said:

I read that Chrome has had its own crypto for TLS and so on, starting from Chrome v. 37. But in my case I have Chrome 34 and stuck with it (for it is the last Chrome version able to run on a processor without SSE2 like my AMD Athlon XP) - this explains why our respective findings may differ in this respect : my Chrome still relies on Windows for the TLS crypto stuff.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:53 AM, Dave-H said:

No problem!
I keep wondering whether Otter should be given more prominence in the "browsers that work on XP" threads in the XP section here.
I've been monitoring it for years as the intention is to replicate Presto Opera, which I used for many years and was considered by many to be the best browser ever produced before it was cruelly abandoned in favour of yet another Chromium-based browser. Unfortunately Otter's development has been at a glacial pace, I suspect because there's actually very few people working on it, and although they did finally get to an official release, it's still very far away from something I would want to use as my default browser.
All credit for them for maintaining XP compatibility though!

xp still alive ~! LOL... all browser not support it anymore... open windows xp likely no where to go...

7 hours ago, cyberloner said:

xp still alive ~! LOL... all browser not support it anymore... open windows xp likely no where to go...

how old are you ?

you do realize web didn't change that much since ~2008 ?
-> thus any browser since then would work just fine

Edited by vinifera

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, Dave-H said:

I just tried accessing the website of a UK restaurant chain using IE11 on Windows 7, and it would not connect, saying there was some sort of security error, which couldn't be overridden.
The address is https://www.cote.co.uk
I thought perhaps this was because IE11 is now becoming obsolete, especially when I tried it on my Windows 8.1 netbook too, and got the same error.
However, I just tried on IE11 on Windows 10, and it worked fine!
Can anyone else confirm this, and has anyone any idea why it would work on Windows 10, but not on 7 or 8,1, using apparently the same Internet Explorer version?
Thanks, Dave.
:dubbio:

Works fine with Win 7 IE 11 for me.

SSLLabs.com says the site requires TLS 1.2, so make sure that's enabled in Internet Options.

Edit: Comparing my SSLLabs results with @VistaLover's, it appears the web site has added an SHA-1 cipher since last month, which lets IE 11 on Win 7 work once more.

If that hadn't worked, I would have noted that ProxHTTPSProxyMII works on Win 7 as it does on XP.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 11/13/2012 at 4:47 PM, steven4554 said:

Windows 7 is a non-supported OS! This also means that Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 has been discontinued! 

I recommend that you try Microsoft's new Edge Chromium web browser here and it supports Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 and the stable version is available for download!

IE11 direct download links have now been removed.

Welp, this explains why IE11 isn't included in your WUD UL.

If anyone still wants it, it still exists and there's one last Cumulative Update on the Catalog.

Original + Cumulative (No direct links, Steven...):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4534251

WTH IS THIS THINGY? (v11.0.0.4 / 10/21/2019) "NOW WITH BING AND MSN" lol!

x64: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41628

x86: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40907

Welp#2: Went back and read some more of the thread. YEESH! What a wet bag of worms! (and that I replicated some stuff already in the topic).

Edited by submix8c
('cause I'm SMRT!)

• 4 weeks later...