Modified SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 for 98SE

I have extracted the contents of the Windows ME MSBACKUP package and compared all of the files inside to the versions in the 98SE .CABs. All of the files are the same, so differences in the MSBACKUP tool cannot be causing the error.

I'm in the process of installing 98SE without the Backup tool and will test the ME SYSDM.CPL with that install to see if I get the "other" weird icon.

EDIT:

I have done further experimenting and I have had some interesting results.

Without the Backup tool installed. I get the same Icon (19 SETUX/SETUPAPI) that PROBLEMCHYLD does.

HOWEVER, ONLY devices installed AFTER updating SYSDM.CPL get messed up Icons. If the devices were already installed while using the 98SE version, their Icons remain correct.

But, NOT ALL devices installed after updating SYSDM.CPL get messed up Icons. Only some.

@PC

Tested the special version I sent you again. On my machine it does NOT have the "not centered" bug. It should be good to go for your special case.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I have been unable to find any solution to this issue. :no:

The Icon bug is an obvious cosmetic flaw, and, I noticed that several strings pertaining to CONFIG.SYS that are present in the 98SE SYSDM.CPL have been removed from the ME SYSDM.CPL. It is unknown at this time whether this would cause further problems for users who need special CONFIG.SYS setups or use it to load drivers, but I suspect further problems may lie hidden. :ph34r:

There may be a way to make the 98SE version function in the same manner, but I have not managed to find it. I have tried various changes to the .INF files involved, trying to force an automated install, but nothing has worked. :}

To edit resources of 16 bit applications use ResScope,

I get good results with it, they can use the functions

Import/Export to facilitate the things.

ResScope Link:

http://www.resscope.com/

Our problem is, what changes the icon and why? Once we figure that out, I think we won't have a problem afterwards. Thanks

In Post#76, Lone Crusader said;

"HOWEVER, ONLY devices installed AFTER updating SYSDM.CPL get

messed up Icons. If the devices were already installed while using the 98SE

version, their Icons remain correct.

But, NOT ALL devices installed after updating SYSDM.CPL get messed

up Icons. Only some."

I wonder if this isn't due to Microsoft in LATER file version changing the

intended 'target icon' to a different icon, while leaving the 'target icon

number(ing)' the same. So say they want to use an updated or different icon,

they do some minor recoding but leave the name 'icon number19' in the

updated file...but now that physical 'icon number 19' is a totally different

icon (fulfilling a different purpose). Makes sense if you figure what older

icons you'd want to get rid of...tape drives going the way of the Dodo, any

tape drive icon would be the first to be replaced with a different icon

(but bearing the same number) as newer functions/hardware types come along.

Only a limited number of (numbered) icons...and if those newer files are used

in the older OS file setup, you might get the type of behaviour Lone

Crusader noted. All conjecture of course, regarding that tape drive icon prob...

...now for something a bit more concrete.

In Post #53, Drugwash said;

"That's not the Tape Device icon. Where on earth did this one come from?

Gosh, weirdness!" ...specifically referring to;

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=35483

OK, that weird icon bears a very close resemblance to this (look on right);

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/chap3_0789733943/elementLinks/03fig16.jpg

A Cardbus (/ PC Card type) icon.

Looking into the NEC uPD720101 controller, from here;

(you're going to have to highlight & paste all this URL)

http://members.driverguide.com/matches.php?h=5bfe3431d90f8a2edc5011dfc0515ec4&ids[0]=226568&ids[1]=112648&ids[2]=80195&ids[3]=121609&ids[4]=505363&cid=716&model=CardBus+to+USB+2.0+Enhanced+Host+Controller

it appears THAT Controller gets used on e.g. NEC USB2 5-port PCI Card and

also PCI/Cardbus to USB 2.0 adapters. (Called on both a "USB 2.0 Enhanced

Host Controller". The download link also leads to a bit more file info). Pics:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gIuJ-UU3vsAJ:http://www.dhgate.com/hot-sale-usb-2-0-4u-pcmcia-cardbus-32bit/p-ff8080812b5b599f012b5d30a3884af0.html%2Bd720101+cardbus+sale&hl=en&complete=0&gbv=2&ct=clnk

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fgUpYDgkKsAJ:http://www.wantronix.de/index.php%3Fmain_page%3Dproduct_info%26cPath%3D11_1153%26products_id%3D50368%26language%3Den%2Bd720101&hl=en&complete=0&gbv=2&ct=clnk

So there may have been a wrong driver (/selected?), or the driver may have

something like a wrongly coded device ID, or maybe they simply folded a wrong

icon into the right driver pack... so that weird icon seen may be an unrelated fault.

(Ah, and for that help on that abbreviation elsewhere, Lone Crusader,)

gratias tibi ago Sapiens Forensis ... EHGO

Edited by buyerninety

I wonder if this isn't due to Microsoft in LATER file version changing the

intended 'target icon' to a different icon, while leaving the 'target icon

number(ing)' the same. So say they want to use an updated or different icon,

they do some minor recoding but leave the name 'icon number19' in the

updated file...but now that physical 'icon number 19' is a totally different

icon (fulfilling a different purpose). Makes sense if you figure what older

icons you'd want to get rid of...tape drives going the way of the Dodo, any

tape drive icon would be the first to be replaced with a different icon

(but bearing the same number) as newer functions/hardware types come along.

Only a limited number of (numbered) icons...and if those newer files are used

in the older OS file setup, you might get the type of behaviour Lone

Crusader noted. All conjecture of course, regarding that tape drive icon prob...

So there may be a wrong driver in there, or the driver may have something

like a wrongly coded device ID, or maybe they simply folded a wrong icon into

the right driver pack... so that weird icon seen may be an unrelated fault.

(Ah, and for that help on that abbreviation elsewhere, Lone Crusader,)

gratias tibi ago Sapiens Forensis ... EHGO

Something that was changed about SYSDM.CPL between 98SE and ME has introduced a bug when the file is used with the older 98SE.

The index numbers of all the Icons related to this bug (and their DLL locations) have remained the same in both OS versions.

I believe the use of the Tape Icon is a random effect of the bug; I don't believe the Tape Utility has anything to do with it.

-The bug does not exist under ME, whether the Tape Backup utility is installed or not.

-However, the bug does exist under 98SE, whether the Tape Backup utility is installed or not. (Icon 19 instead)

-I have compared all of the files related to the Tape Utility from both systems. They are identical.

As far as "wrongly coded device ID," it would make sense if it only affected a specific piece or specific type of USB hardware. It also affects Mass Storage Devices which are installed with a generic driver and without specific ID's.

I believe there may be no solution to this issue. I can't see how we're going to fix a bug that we can't pin down, especially since we don't even have a program that can be used to work on .CPL files. Without knowing what was changed, we're playing Russian Roulette trying to hit on the issue.

:angel

es grata

EHGO? = Entente Halieutique du Grand Ouest??

:lol:

"So there may have been a wrong driver (/selected?), or the driver may have

something like a wrongly coded device ID, or maybe they simply folded a wrong

icon into the right driver pack... so that weird icon seen may be an unrelated fault."

THAT above para referred only to the weird icon seen for the NEC USB 2.0 Enhanced

Host Controller... but I understand you're asserting that the bug is causing both...

Ahhh, OK both the two examples we've seen so far, acted to give an incorrect icon

for a USB "Host Controller" (example "Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host

Controller" [a USB 1.1 Controller] and example "NEC USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller",

...mmm HEY, with the NEC Host Controller example, it had an 82371AB/EB sitting right

above it in the Device Manager display, but THAT 82371AB/EB DID show its correct icon!

{...Oh, it was a line of Latin, so I figured you would get it through

googling "EHGO latin"

...Haha, "Et Hoc Genus Omne", (colloquially) ..'and all that sort of thing'.}

Edited by buyerninety

THAT above para referred only to the weird icon seen for the NEC USB 2.0 Enhanced

Host Controller... but I understand you're asserting that the bug is causing both...

Ahhh, OK both the two examples we've seen so far, acted to give an incorrect icon

for a USB "Host Controller" (example "Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host

Controller" [a USB 1.1 Controller] and example "NEC USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller",

...mmm HEY, with the NEC Host Controller example, it had an 82371AB/EB sitting right

above it in the Device Manager display, but THAT 82371AB/EB DID show its correct icon!

Yes, but the bug also affects USB Mass Storage Devices. I haven't posted a screenshot of this, but I encountered it in one of my tests. It's not just limited to Host Controllers. :}

{...Oh, it was a line of Latin, so I figured you would get it through

googling "EHGO latin"

...Haha, "Et Hoc Genus Omne", (colloquially) ..'and all that sort of thing'.}

Ah yes, lol, I should have made the Latin connection since the previous text was in Latin. :blushing:

• 1 month later...

Is anyone going to try and pursue this or is it a dead issue. I have been looking into it but can't find the bug :(

Some "deep" investigation revealed that Microsoft made changes to how USB devices are enumerated at a point between 98SE and ME.

"Files from that period" :sneaky: might possibly be usable, but would be purely experimental, still suffer from the removed CONFIG.SYS content that I mentioned, and would not have any of the fixes applied by later HotFixes. :}

Personally I've written this off unless someone can figure out what Microsoft changed about the enumeration of USB devices and apply it to the proper 98SE HotFix version.

• 1 month later...

I have discovered another POTENTIAL solution to the problem this project was supposed to address. At the moment, it is buggy, requires further testing, and may be impractical to implement as part of a "project."

The purpose of adding the Windows ME SYSDM.CPL was the fact that it will automatically install the drivers for USB & USB Storage devices WITHOUT prompting the user to select a driver.

I have found a way to cause this auto-installation under 98SE, but it suffers from a strange bug. :unsure:

If the following conditions are met, then 98SE will automatically install the drivers for a USB Flash Drive:

-USBSTOR.INF is placed in WINDOWS\INF

-The SPECIFIC VID&PID of the Flash Drive is listed in USBSTOR.INF

EDIT 6-20-2013

LATER FOUND THAT THIS BUG HAPPENS UNDER VIRTUAL MACHINES ONLY.

Now, here's the problem. :(

If a Flash Drive has been installed using this method during a Windows session, then any subsequent attempt to install another Flash Drive that does NOT have its VID&PID specified in the INF (and therefore uses the Generic INF lines) will cause a "You Must Restart" dialog along with a Yellow Exclamation Mark error on the "USB Mass Storage Device" entry in the Device Manager.

Rebooting before attempting to install a "generic" Flash Drive will prevent this bug.

EDIT 6-20-2013

So, theoretically it is possible to achieve the auto-installation without the ME SYSDM.CPL. However, it would require an enormous amount of work creating a comprehensive INF list of VID's & PID's that would need to be continually updated with new Device entries. :wacko:

Edited by LoneCrusader

I wish I had more time and some extra knowledge on the inner workings of these things.... such stuff should not be easy to hack it, just a compare and skip if the program is written in any sane way (though I kind of doubt it is the case).

So, theoretically it is possible to achieve the auto-installation without the ME SYSDM.CPL. However, it would require an enormous amount of work creating a comprehensive INF list of VID's & PID's that would need to be continually updated with new Device entries. :wacko:

I have something like this working on my systems.

I have a German sysdm.cpl (4.10.2224, 09.12.2000) active. It has the same size as the original so I think it has not been drastically patched/changed.

It's been a while but IIRC the key was using usbstor.sys (4.90.3000.1) not higher (!!) and the 50 KB big usbstor.inf taken from the WUPG98 package.

So far, all USB devices had been installed without any problems - but on the other hand, I have only 10 or so :blushing:

When I find the time I will test it with the original sysdm.cpl from 1999.

Best, Mikl

I wish I had more time and some extra knowledge on the inner workings of these things.... such stuff should not be easy to hack it, just a compare and skip if the program is written in any sane way (though I kind of doubt it is the case).

Microsoft made changes to the way USB devices are detected and enumerated between Windows 98SE and Windows ME. (Info taken from MS documentation.)

I have something like this working on my systems.

I have a German sysdm.cpl (4.10.2224, 09.12.2000) active. It has the same size as the original so I think it has not been drastically patched/changed.

It's been a while but IIRC the key was using usbstor.sys (4.90.3000.1) not higher (!!) and the 50 KB big usbstor.inf taken from the WUPG98 package.

So far, all USB devices had been installed without any problems - but on the other hand, I have only 10 or so :blushing:

When I find the time I will test it with the original sysdm.cpl from 1999.

Best, Mikl

I just want to be sure we're on the same page here... :unsure:

The USB devices will install without a "problem" with the 98SE SYSDM.CPL's. The only difference with the ME SYSDM.CPL is that it will automatically install a driver for a USB Storage device, without prompting the user. The 98SE versions will prompt the user to search for and select a driver, even when it has the driver in WINDOWS\INF already. (Unless the device VID&PID is in the INF, as I pointed out.)

Assuming we are on the same page, it should be interesting to check out the USBSTOR.INF from WUPG98. :thumbup

Edited by LoneCrusader