Modified SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 for 98SE

I have :no: such registry entries whatsoever.

These are the ones (re)created after first removal. They will always be created after them or USB controller(s) being deleted from Device Manager. At least when the SP is already installed (because I'm testing this on a system that has SP 3.8 already installed).

reg1d.th.png

reg2.th.png

Possible. The backup option is selected in Windows Setup panel.

But then again, how come you get the Tape icon for USB controllers too? Let's assume my setup was borked because of the backup option and all that manual mumbo-jumbo with the registry and drivers fixed it. But how about you? Do you have the backup option installed? Do you get such Tape entries in the registry? Did you try reinstalling USB drivers, changing anything in the registry in order to fix the icon issue?

But then again, how come you get the Tape icon for USB controllers too? Let's assume my setup was borked because of the backup option and all that manual mumbo-jumbo with the registry and drivers fixed it. But how about you? Do you have the backup option installed? Do you get such Tape entries in the registry? Did you try reinstalling USB drivers, changing anything in the registry in order to fix the icon issue?

You must be confusing me with someone else. I am a Windows ME user and have none of those issues of course. There is no backup tool as an optional component of Windows ME setup but it's however available as a separate install package on the ME disc and sure it contains the two tape drive vxd drivers you mentioned earlier. I don't have the backup tool installed now but used to have it some time (long time) ago and don't remember anything of the sort you experience happening.

Edited by loblo

OK, freeze!

- Install 98SE fresh, without backup or other fancy options.

- Install official drivers, bare minimum, at least for USB.

- Replace original SYSDM.CPL with the Millennium one (4.90.3000 or 4.90.3001)

- Remove all USB devices and drivers from Device Manager

- Reboot

Does any of the USB icons, upon redetection, change to something else than USB? If so, then it's definitely in the Millennium CPL. If not, then it's in NUSB or its components built into the Service Pack.

You must be confusing me with someone else.
Definitely. :blushing: I was thinking of Lone Crusader. My mind is not quite home these days, sorry... Edited by Drugwash

Does any of the USB icons, upon redetection, change to something else than USB? If so, then it's definitely in the Millennium CPL.

Have you notice that it changes different devices? Look at LoneCrusader controller and then look at mines.It changes his USB 1.x and it changes my USB 2.0. It only happens when you use WinME SYSDM.CPL (Any Version) Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Then we might as well put up a sign saying [For hire: skilled hacker] :( (sad joke)

I'm fresh out of ideas. :(

You know whats really sad? The file doesn't break anything that I'm aware of. It just changes the icon without our permission :realmad: All of my USB devices work the same. :w00t:

I know. But people are just different. Yesterday I was reading a long blog about Vista desktop icons and whether they're facing the wrong way. I mean, some people do care about minor details such as "why this icon and that icon have different shades of blue" or "why does the folder icon face right and the MyComputer icon face left". What are you gonna do when a couple guys will burst in here yelling that they have wrong icons for their USB controllers, even when everything else works perfectly? :(

Oh, don't answer - I know it already. You're a Leo, after all... :lol:

I know. But people are just different. Yesterday I was reading a long blog about Vista desktop icons and whether they're facing the wrong way. I mean, some people do care about minor details such as "why this icon and that icon have different shades of blue" or "why does the folder icon face right and the MyComputer icon face left". What are you gonna do when a couple guys will burst in here yelling that they have wrong icons for their USB controllers, even when everything else works perfectly? :(

After what we went through with the WinME icons. :w00t:

Yeah, that too! :)

It's all about the freedom of choice. If something can be done in more than one way, rest assured someone, sometime, will ask for that thing to be done differently, while others will ask for it to stay as it was. Give them the ability to choose for themselves and they'll be happy. Make it hardcoded one way and you'll get showered with tomatoes, rotten eggs and other such goodies. :whistle:

MS guys will never learn. Let us be smarter, for what it's worth. Oh, if only we could...

...I have not removed the USB devices and controllers from Device Manager to have them redetected upon reboot, therefore I can only speculate that this detection that is being performed after deleting USB devices, will also add TapeDetection branch, with the wrong driver for one of the subitems and the wrong icons for the USB controllers.

@LoneCrusader: The icon you see in PROBLEMCHYLD's screenshot will only appear if you manually delete the Tape-related branches in the registry at the places I've mentioned above. In the beginning there were the regular Tape icons for the USB controllers, on my test machine; after I deleted those registry keys, the icons changed to the one shown in PROBLEMCHYLD's screenshot. They can be brought back to normal by following the procedure detailed in my post above - at least I did it succesfully.

I have not attempted altering the Tape Detection entries in the registry yet, but I will look into it further later tonight.

These are the ones (re)created after first removal. They will always be created after them or USB controller(s) being deleted from Device Manager. At least when the SP is already installed (because I'm testing this on a system that has SP 3.8 already installed).

I'm not using the USP, but I'm using my own slipstreamed build of 98SE that contains many of the same things...

The backup option is selected in Windows Setup panel.

I always have that tool selected when I install 98SE. No particular reason, I don't use it, but I guess it sounded nice. :lol:

Have you notice that it changes different devices? Look at LoneCrusader controller and then look at mines.It changes his USB 1.x and it changes my USB 2.0. It only happens when you use WinME SYSDM.CPL (Any Version)

Strange that the results are different on different machines for the exact same hardware. We need to test this file on a wider range of hardware. My only testing so far has been in a VM.

What are you gonna do when a couple guys will burst in here yelling that they have wrong icons for their USB controllers, even when everything else works perfectly? :(

Well, I'm an Aries so maybe that explains something as well... :lol::angel

It's all about the freedom of choice. If something can be done in more than one way, rest assured someone, sometime, will ask for that thing to be done differently, while others will ask for it to stay as it was.

Yep. Everyone probably knows "that guy" who always uses green ink, etc. LOL :)

Cheers and Regards

Ok... Back to the Icon problem.

I examined the NTMAP.INF and USBNTMAP.INF files that are part of NUSB because I remember there being references to Tape Devices in them. I was correct, there are references to tape devices. However, the only "Icon" that is set by either of these files is a normal disk drive icon, Icon #9 in SETUPX/SETUPAPI. So, these files are not responsible for the problem. (Thought this was the case anyhow, but wanted to rule it out.)

Since the registry entries associated with Tape Devices do not affect the 98SE version of SYSDM.CPL, I think we should concentrate on seeing if there is anything handled differently under ME for these devices before we try to fix it by removing/changing 98SE settings.

I think our next step should be to examine the Windows ME settings for the same devices and see if anything is handled differently. We should see if all of the same INF's and other drivers are present under Windows ME, and see if Windows ME's Backup tool is different.

If any of these items are different or expect different conditions, we may need to try backporting some other settings, files, or both in order for the ME SYSDM.CPL to respond properly.

Edited by LoneCrusader