Modified SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 for 98SE

I'm going to start completely over tomorrow using Open Watcom for all changes rather than eXeScope.

That may be a waste of time. I've edited the original 4.90.3001 file from NUSB 3.6 directly in Open Watcom without any interference from other editor and the bug is there.

From my point of view, there may be a bug in Open Watcom that inadvertently clears the Center flag.

I'm currently testing Open Watcom 1.9 and all the earlier ones. The files posted by loblo pertain to some 1.3 version, although the file sizes don't quite match the ones in the archives I've just downloaded (possibly privately compiled from sources).

The files posted by loblo pertain to some 1.3 version, although the file sizes don't quite match the ones in the archives I've just downloaded (possibly privately compiled from sources).

The files I posted came from the small package linked below, minus the unneeded files plus a missing one and all additionally UPXed by me. I should have realized they were much older, sorry about that.

http://openwatcom.mirrors.pair.com/archive/zips-1.3/cm_ide_win.zip

Edited by loblo

That explains it. I've walked around those zips as they were just too many for my taste, but I've downloaded all the installers (.exe) and extracted the same set of files from each and every version, from 1.0 to 1.9. That's why the file sizes didn't match, as you compressed them afterwards.

Strange thing is that the Center flag appears as set in VC6, ExeScope and OpenWatcom 1.9, for the 501 dialog (New Hardware Found).

Just to make sure: PROBLEMCHYLD, could you please post a screenshot of the dialog you say it's top-left aligned instead of centered? Maybe we're looking in the wrong place.

EDIT:

OK, we're wasting time. As I suspected and already mentioned somewhere above, OpenWatcom cannot deal with CPL files correctly. One may fool it into thinking a .cpl is a .dll by changing extension, but internally .cpl files are structured differently and an editor that cannot recognize a certain structure will most likely destroy it.

As a test, I've loaded with ExeScope a .cpl renamed into a .dll. Looking at dialog 10009 (for example) I noticed 5 Static, 2 RadioButton and 1 PushButton.

Then I renamed the file back to its original .cpl extension. Loading it in ExeScope revealed dialog 10009 actually has another 3 SysListView controls that didn't show up in the list previously.

I noticed this issue of missing control types much earlier but blamed it on a possibly incomplete installation of OpenWatcom. However, now I unpacked the whole contents of the binnt folder such that no possible dependency would miss and the issue is still there.

Therefore, as a conclusion I would say editing Control Panel Extension files (.cpl) in OpenWatcom using the extension change trick, is bad and will damage the internal structure. The wrong start position of a dialog is just a minor example of what can happen if we continue to do it. We need another tool, a stable and reliable one, other than Visual Studio and ExeScope, neither of which can perform the full job without errors or shortcomings.

Edited by Drugwash

That explains it. I've walked around those zips as they were just too many for my taste, but I've downloaded all the installers (.exe) and extracted the same set of files from each and every version, from 1.0 to 1.9. That's why the file sizes didn't match, as you compressed them afterwards.

Strange thing is that the Center flag appears as set in VC6, ExeScope and OpenWatcom 1.9, for the 501 dialog (New Hardware Found).

Just to make sure: PROBLEMCHYLD, could you please post a screenshot of the dialog you say it's top-left aligned instead of centered? Maybe we're looking in the wrong place.

That may be a waste of time. I've edited the original 4.90.3001 file from NUSB 3.6 directly in Open Watcom without any interference from other editor and the bug is there.

From my point of view, there may be a bug in Open Watcom that inadvertently clears the Center flag.

I'm currently testing Open Watcom 1.9 and all the earlier ones. The files posted by loblo pertain to some 1.3 version, although the file sizes don't quite match the ones in the archives I've just downloaded (possibly privately compiled from sources).

@ Drugwash and LoneCrusader, yes. The bug is there only after the file has been modded. Its not present in the original file.

I have checked my original "version 01" that was done with eXeScope and contained only modifications to the System/General tab (Dialog 503).

It does NOT have the bug. :blink:

Since this is the case, and the special version I sent to PROBLEMCHYLD DOES have the bug, then it must have been caused by the String edits.

(special version is v01 mods {general tab} + v03 mods {strings} without v02 mods {sys restore disk slider})

I'm still investigating.

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Could you check something else for me?

In the screenshot you posted, I see an Intel USB controller is being reinstalled.

I have the exact same controller on the VM I'm testing with.

When that particular device is reinstalled, does it show a normal USB Icon in the Device Manager when using the ME SYSDM.CPL?

I'm seeing a different Icon for it when using the ME version than the normal USB Icon I see with the 98SE version...

@dencorso

I didn't expect this issue to be so involved or require so much work. I don't want to hijack this thread, so it may be best to split my original SYSDM.CPL post (#732) and the rest of this off into a new thread, say, "Modified SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 for 98SE"?

Edited by LoneCrusader

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Could you check something else for me?

In the screenshot you posted, I see an Intel USB controller is being reinstalled.

I have the exact same controller on the VM I'm testing with.

When that particular device is reinstalled, does it show a normal USB Icon in the Device Manager when using the ME SYSDM.CPL?

I'm seeing a different Icon for it when using the ME version than the normal USB Icon I see with the 98SE version...

Yes the icons are different. But it only does it on my USB 2.0 device. All others have original icons. I was going to report this too, but one problem at a time. Thanks

Yes the icons are different. But it only does it on my USB 2.0 device. All others have original icons. I was going to report this too, but one problem at a time. Thanks

Bizarre. Neither the original USB Icon nor the Icon I'm seeing are present in SYSDM.CPL at all.

I agree one problem at a time, but I went ahead and mentioned it because whatever is causing it is already in the official ME version and is not caused by a mod...

Question is: where does version 4.90.3001 in NUSB 3.6 come from? Is it a MS official update/QFE/etc or is it the default 4.90.3000 from the CD and has been hacked by someone else prior to adding it to NUSB? The answer to this question may explain the abnormal icons you're seeing and possibly other issues yet to surface. I mean, if the file has been modified using a tool that breaks the structures just as OpenWatcom does, we'd be better off using the official 4.90.3000 in our modding attempts, considering the changes that have been made previously (if any) that made it into 4.90.3001.

At this point, only Maximus-Decim may be able to provide the answer, unless someone else can prove the origin of the 4.90.3001 file.

I also agree to splitting the discussion pertaining to sysdm.cpl modding, to a separate thread.

Question is: where does version 4.90.3001 in NUSB 3.6 come from? Is it a MS official update/QFE/etc or is it the default 4.90.3000 from the CD and has been hacked by someone else prior to adding it to NUSB? The answer to this question may explain the abnormal icons you're seeing and possibly other issues yet to surface. I mean, if the file has been modified using a tool that breaks the structures just as OpenWatcom does, we'd be better off using the official 4.90.3000 in our modding attempts, considering the changes that have been made previously (if any) that made it into 4.90.3001.

At this point, only Maximus-Decim may be able to provide the answer, unless someone else can prove the origin of the 4.90.3001 file.

I also agree to splitting the discussion pertaining to sysdm.cpl modding, to a separate thread.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272620 No mods or secrets, Its official. I already checked CRC/Hashes etc.... You can find it on MDGx site.

Good, we cleared this up. Another question: does the abnormal icon (screenshot, anyone?) show with the CD version of sysdm.cpl 4.90.3000? I'm trying to find out if this is a default mismatch between ME and 98SE or if it's been introduced with the updated 3001 version. We should be able to analyse the two versions and hopefully pinpoint and fix the issue, if it turns out 3000 works OK compared to 3001. Otherwise it will be a little harder to find out why it's happening.

Good, we cleared this up. Another question: does the abnormal icon (screenshot, anyone?) show with the CD version of sysdm.cpl 4.90.3000? I'm trying to find out if this is a default mismatch between ME and 98SE or if it's been introduced with the updated 3001 version. We should be able to analyse the two versions and hopefully pinpoint and fix the issue, if it turns out 3000 works OK compared to 3001. Otherwise it will be a little harder to find out why it's happening.

No, it lies inside (ANY) version of SYSDM.CPL from Windows ME. This was the reason I didn't update this specific file when Maximus-Decim updated his/her package. Yes, its faster and you don't need to click next to install USB drivers. Everything is automated.

Question is: where does version 4.90.3001 in NUSB 3.6 come from? Is it a MS official update/QFE/etc or is it the default 4.90.3000 from the CD and has been hacked by someone else prior to adding it to NUSB?

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272620 No mods or secrets, Its official. I already checked CRC/Hashes etc.... You can find it on MDGx site.

All of my modifications were done on the original file extracted from the ME HotFix rather than the one extracted from NUSB, although I'm sure they're identical.

(screenshot, anyone?)

bugicon.jpg