Installing Lan Drivers

crowe80

crowe80, this is really a strange one. Is there any way to look at the status and properties (IPv4) of the adapter on WinPE? If so, please post a screen shot. Having no problems with Internet on WinPE I am not familiar with what is available. One more wild suggestion to try:

Netsh int ip reset

Sorry am not able to help much. Good luck and enjoy, John.

I finally got this to work and I'll share for anyone who is interested because it's very strange.

I had the WinPe disk created with the correct drivers for the NIC. I even put these drivers on a USB flash drive and was doing a DRVLOad to that driver and it would say successful. I used a tool called devmanveiw.exe that takes you into a generic looking Device Manager and I could see the driver was there. But I still got no IP.

What I finally did was delete the driver from the devmanview.exe application. I tried the DRVLOAD command again and noticed even though it said successful the driver was not in the device manager. So from my USB flash drive I ran the setup.exe file for the LAN driver using the command prompt in Winpe and installed the LAN that way. After that I was getting a 169 address. So then I ran the command wpeutil initializenetwork and then I got an IP and now it's imaging.

The only thing is I don't know why I had to run the setup.exe to get it to recognize the LAN instead of just doing the DRVLOAD command to load the .inf file. But in any case it's at least working in a round about way.

crowe80, what all is in the driver folder? How about giving us a link to the driver so we can take a look at it. Apparently the Setup.exe does some extra work. I guess you know that the 169 address is indicating that there was not found a DHCP server. Glad it is working -- how strange though. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Thanks for the reference to devmanview. I DLed both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Edited by johnhc

The driver was for a Toshiba L840-BT3N22.

The NIC card is a "Qualcomm Ahteros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)"

THe HW ID is: PCI/VEN_1969&DEV_2062&SUBSYS_FB501179&REV_C1\4&26d56668&0&00E3

Driver Version: 2.0.15.16

And yes they were in the drivers folder on the WinPE disc. While looking at the device manager using devmanview there is a section that says ".inf File" and it list oem146.inf So i'm not for sure if that means that is the .inf file it used which I'm assuming it is what it means. If so, there is nothing in the driver package that I have found by this name. All the drivers were labeled as L1....x32 or x64.inf files. So that is interesting.

And yes they were in the drivers folder on the WinPE disc. While looking at the device manager using devmanview there is a section that says ".inf File" and it list oem146.inf So i'm not for sure if that means that is the .inf file it used which I'm assuming it is what it means. If so, there is nothing in the driver package that I have found by this name. All the drivers were labeled as L1....x32 or x64.inf files. So that is interesting.

Windows renames the INF file. It is 146 because it is (probably) the 147th INF file that was injected into the WIM. If you use DISM's /GET-DRIVERS on the mounted image, you can view all the injected drivers, which shows the oem# as well as the original filename and other information. Since you have over 30-40 things in there, you'll probably have to > text file to be able to see them all.

crowe80, I think I found the drivers and opened L1C62x64.INF. I did not know whether you were running 32 or 64 bit, or both, WinPE. I can't really make any sense of it all. In the .inf I opened there is a reference to "INF File for NDIS6.2 Miniport Driver for Windows7". Don't know what this is about but perhaps something to do with the PCIe support HW and the driver was not in the the three files you injected. This .inf references only the one driver file ( L1C62x64.sys) and perhaps the setup file installed another needed driver. Have fun, John.