[Solved] Machine can no longer access internet through cable modem...

ramentaschen

Hello fellow Win 98 users,

Recently I have found that my CTX brand desktop computer originally bought in 1997 and running Win98SE with an Intel Pentium III processor can no longer access the internet through my cable modem. The computer otherwise works very well and meets all of my needs so I'd like to keep using it if possible. For the past couple of years I was using an older Firefox version 2.x I believe internet browser but now this no longer connects. Previous to that I was using IE6.

If anyone can give me some simple instructions on how to reconnect to the internet I would be very appreciative. I'm not sure which browsers are still available for this old yet durable operating system. I welcome any discussion on this topic and apologize in advance if this has been brought up before. Thank you for your advice and recommendations and look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by ramentaschen

Thank you for your reply.

So I just download that kernelex program then find an old version of Firefox 8 to run? Where can I find some older versions of Firefox??? Also does anyone recommend any other internet browsers that I should use?

What are the popular ones that Windows98SE users have been happy with?

Today we connect to the internet with an ADSL router, not with "cable modem" anymore (unless you are somewhere far from civilisation, in the mountains or something).

If you are connected with an ADSL router (or modem if you will), you need to buy and install a generic ethernet card. Once the ethernet card is inserted in the tower, restart the computer, it will look for the "new device", ask to insert the installation disc to find some files (insert the W98se CD) and, if you are lucky, you will be connected to the internet immediately. If not write here.

You will also need an ethernet cable but that should be supplied with the router.

As much as KernelEx is a definite plus for win-98, the OP's problems will not be solved by installing Kex or a newer browser.

I run Firefox 2.0.0.20 as my primary browser and have no problems accessing and viewing 99% of the websites I surf to.

By all accounts, the OP's TCP/IP settings are the problem.

Set your DNS to 4.2.2.2 and see if that solves your problem. Otherwise, open a DOS window and type "ipconfig /all" and report the results here.

> Today we connect to the internet with an ADSL router, not with "cable modem" anymore

Not sure what you mean by that. If your internet service comes to you through a phone line (POTS line, PSTN, copper pair, etc) then yes, you will have an ADSL modem (which frequently also is a router). If your internet service comes to you through a coaxial cable-TV line (RG-6) then you will have a "cable modem" (DOCSIS 2 or 3).

1 - I have TWC Roadrunner Surfboard Cable Modem in the CITY of Dayton, OH

2 - WINIPCFG is a good place to start (see #5 below...)

3 - Yes, the Settings for TCP/IP (isn't that what I was saying?)

4 - "IPCONFIG /ALL > IPCONFIG.TXT" and attach it

5 - Otherwise, this is going absolutely nowhere

Thank you to all who responded to this thread. As it turns out I am embarassed to say that I found out why I couldn't access the internet recently after years of having no problems.

I accidentally transposed two cables that were going into the cable modem and the Belkin wireless router. Because we use many computers around the house the internet sometimes crawls to a standstill requiring a "reset" by unplugging then replugging in the attached wires and cables. It goes without saying here but I'll say it anyways: sometimes I'm an id***.

Are most Win98 users still using Firefox v2.0.0.20? I want to poll other users to see what they are using and also what software programs they like the best.

Has anyone had success with MAME game emulators? I will look through previously made threads now but any tips or advice would be welcome here.

Pretty satisfied with the following programs but am always looking for other options

dmbpoweramp 10

Exact Audio Copy

Winamp

ClamWin

mp3 splitter

sendspace to share large files, most other sites do not work well with Win98 anymore

Edited by ramentaschen

In Post #9 ramentaschen said;

"...poll other users to see what they are using and also what software programs"

For FF v2.0.0.20 the add-on AdBlock Plus V1.0.2 seems to cut down webpage

download time or display. (Or add-on AdBlockingFiltersetp V1.0 may be a simpler

way to achieve the same result).

_

It's also possible to run several different versions, or several of the same version,

of FF. I'm still not clear if these are separate 'processes' of FF; anyway the effect

is similar, and can be helpful in certain situations.

Example; 1st instance of FF with all it's different 'Windows/Tabs' is running

happily, 2nd instance is launched to say, download a PDF that you know/suspect

will freeze FF. If 2nd instance of FF does freeze, bring up the W98 Close Program

dialog (Ctrl+Alt+Del), see the 2nd instance of FF, click it 'Shut Down'. The 2nd

instance disappears, while your 1st instance of FF is unaffected (no need to

kill and then 'Restore Session' all your 1st instance 'Windows/Tabs'). Refs;

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_Firefox_with_another_profile

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_multiple_profiles_-_Firefox

http://www.sencha.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4899.html

http://superuser.com/questions/72121/how-to-start-different-instances-processes-with-firefox-win32

http://www.dennisplucinik.com/blog/2011/02/04/how-to-install-run-multiple-firefox-versions-in-windows-simultaneously/

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/06/23/0123243/firefox-364-released-with-out-of-process-plugins