Install Windows 2000? How?

oldwindows

Many people seem to like Windows 2000, but how do they install it on newer hardware?

I would love to install or dual boot Windows 2000 on my Asus laptop, but I can't find any drivers. Where do you find drivers for old Windows 2000?

And how about more than 4GB ram? Windows 2000 is 32-bit and can't recongnize more than 4GB ram, right?

Do you have any links to Windows 2000 drivers for newer hardware?

Thanks in advance!

//Oldwindows

Welcome to MSFN.

It would really help if you provide more info on the model of the ASUS laptop or list the hardware available.

I'm sure Windows 2000 will read 3GB RAM, which is MORE than enough.

Cheers

Edit: you can also try nLite with DriverPacks, since they support Windows 2000.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Please check the forum more carefully. There have been several similar topics discussed very recently :)

DriverPacks support for Windows 2000 is actually a joke. I don't think they even test the packages properly. At least in case of the mass storage drivers the installation will crash at the very beginning of text setup after you've integrated them.

Many people seem to like Windows 2000, but how do they install it on newer hardware?

I would love to install or dual boot Windows 2000 on my Asus laptop, but I can't find any drivers. Where do you find drivers for old Windows 2000?

And how about more than 4GB ram? Windows 2000 is 32-bit and can't recongnize more than 4GB ram, right?

Do you have any links to Windows 2000 drivers for newer hardware?

Thanks in advance!

//Oldwindows

Welcome aboard! :)

There have been numerous topics on how to get Windows 2000 installed as a dual-boot option on your laptop. What are the specs of your Asus laptop?

Windows 2000 is a 32-bit OS that will operate with at least 32 MB of memory and will be capable of recognising up to 4 GB of memory with anywhere between 3.25 GB to 3.63 GB usage to the OS with the remaining part of the RAM for a graphics card.. If you try to run Windows 2000 with more than that limit, the first 3.25 GB to 3.63 GB of memory would remain usage to the OS and the rest will probably be made as RAM disk.

Thank you all :).

My Asus laptop is

ASUS N52DA 15.6 HD

The graphic card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

I can't find any drivers for Windows 2000 at all. Not network drivers, no graphic drivers, no sound drivers.

Maybe windows 2000 is too outdated? Or are there any driver mods out there?

There might exist official drivers for some of the components (sound, LAN) but for others you'll have to use the unofficial drivers. Some of the unofficial drivers require the unofficial kernel. The unofficial kernel may be required to use some of the new official drivers too.

You may want to check:

http://www.windows2000.tk

and

(recommended)

Even recently there have been a lot of topics about Win2k and its installation on new hardware. I'd recommend reading them first. You could also download Unknown Device Identifier and check the Hardware IDs for your devices so that it will be much easier to look for proper drivers.

Edited by tomasz86