Newer Version of K-Meleon Just Released

Monroe

For anyone here using the K-Meleon browser ... a newer version of K-Meleon by rodocop was released on Oct 28, 2012. Everything is at the K-Meleon Forum ... I will post links further down. Just discovered it yesterday and so far it seems to work OK on Windows XP. I am not sure about it working on Windows 98SE ... I have no 98SE setup at present to test it on ... perhaps with KernelEx it might work, I was using a newer version of K-Melelon with Windows 98SE for two years with KernelEx installed. I am also not sure about Windows 2000 ... I do have an older computer (Pen 3) set up but will test it later in the week. Those already familiar with K-Meleon will notice a fairly modern newer version ... according to rodocop, there are more things to be done but for now, it seems to be a good working version, at least to me.

This is at the K-Meleon Forum ... under the General tab

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/

... then you will see " CommMeleon2??? Oh, No! K-Meleon Twin+ is here!!! " by rodocop.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/list.php?1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CommMeleon2??? Oh, No! K-Meleon Twin+ is here!!!

Posted by: rodocop

Date: October 28, 2012 02:14AM

Comrades!

I'm very glad to inform you that my work wasn't stopped (as you believe, I think) and now I can introduce to you the Ultimate K-Meleon ever.

K-Meleon Twin+

K-Meleon Twin+

ALSO Twin ALTERNATIVE DOWNLOAD LOCATIONS

(as I've got some negative feedback about downloading from my russian comrades)

All you have to know about new build was (or wasn't) discussed earlier:

here

here

here

and there

All I want to say now is here:

1) It's double portable build (1.7 folder inside 1.6 folder) - it was conceived that 1.6 is the main browser and 1.7 is secondary one on demand (sometimes it renders sites more correctly, but 1.7 branch still has more crucial bugs)

2) It's based on 1.6beta2.5 from JamesD and db+ builds from dugbugoffice. No new binaries - we still need C++ coders and this is problem

3) But KM Twin+ has all the modern compatibility thanks to incorporated GoogleChromeFrame. This part of pack was inspired by disrupted's work.

Now, you can install ChromeFrame by pressing just one button on toolbar (with blue Chromium icon) - simply press and answer 'Yes' and 'OK' to get it installed.

Next time you'll start KM the same button will open currently opened page in new tab inside KM with Chrome engine!

No more incompatible pages!

4) Other original stuff are

1. the Icon Selector toolbar, which lets you to select 1 of 7 icons for you KM (you can assign 2 different icons to Twins in order to distinguish them easy in simultaneous work (when you open 1.7 from 1.6 - new window is created, so you can use two different KMs in parallel);

2. button to quickly switch opening diverted windows/tabs from fore- to background (corresponding bug is now fixed in kmprefs.jar)

3. Privoxy webfilter is here to replace AdBlock in KM-1.7 or even add more content filtering power for KM-1.6. The only one drawback of using Privoxy is that it prevents you from using Keyword Autosearch and thereby it blocks the possibility to open pages by simply typing some peculiar keyword in URLbar and hitting Enter (my favourite trick in KM!)

4. upgraded AppLauncher (by disrupted and Alex Tarantul) which has now button for every App (IE, Mark text editor and KM1.7). Feel free to add more other apps by changing kmm-file! But remember - you'll need bmp-icons!

More useful stuff are bookmarklets - 5 different online bookmarking services (highly recommended to add site to your cloud bookmarks by 2-3 clicks!) and about 20 different JavaScript-tools for some useful (or just funny) operations with pages and content.

Give them a try - and have fun!

Use KM Twin+! Enjoy K-meleon concept and full compatibility!

Feedback is welcome!

Using K-Meleon-1.6.17db+ / KM-16-S2014

Recommending K-Meleon Twin+

Try and discuss it!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It has Google Chrome available, which I don't completely understand at this point ... there is also a new updated list of User Agents and there are many more than in previous versions of K-Meleon.

So I just posted this to call your attention to this newer version to try out. As earlier versions, there is no install and once you have all the settings to your liking, you can just copy the folder to save or add to as many computers as you want.

... added: On the 2nd day using this newer version, I had a crash with just the browser and had to delete and replace the KM folder ... simple enough to do but it is still a "work in progress" at this point ... rodocop talks about changes in newer version updates. Still a good working browser at this point with some glitches every now and then.

Edited by duffy98

I can't see the "Chrome button"... :unsure: Where is it supposed to be located exactly?

The browser itself works in Win2k but some (most) of the buttons use some kind of graphics with transparent background which doesn't work properly. It's a minor issue though.

tomasz86 ... on the version I installed which is the download ... which I'm sure you also have ... the Google Chrome button in on the left side, I think it is a round bluish button, I will check after I post this, am using another version of KM at this time. I wrote to rodocop earlier today and he gave me some additional info about the Google Chrome engine. When you click on the Google Chrome it will start to install and some of the language appears to be Russian but it should install OK ... I need to experiment more with it myself. I was a little hesitant to install it till I understand things better. I installed the Chrome once and then removed everything with registry cleaners and also took Google out of the Programs folder. I am not using the Chrome feature at present. I will try KM-Twin on my Windows 2000 Pro setup later today or tomorrow. I have my Windows 2000 updated with your update ... UURollup v10c (ENU).

Posted by: duffy98

Date: November 05, 2012 04:57AM

rodocop ... just discovered K-Meleon Twin earlier today. Thanks for the time and effort to make K-Meleon better in 2012. Lots of goodies in this version, I like all the newer User Agents for one ... haven't discovered everything yet but I will over the next week or so. I still don't understand exactly what Google Chrome is ... the button on the left side wants to install Google Chrome and I have left it alone for now ... not sure if I need it or what it does. Overall, a really nice project you have here ... thanks.

Date: November 05, 2012 02:15PM

duffy98,

Chrome button installs GoogleChrome engine, that can be used INSIDE K-Meleon Twin to render modern pages (html5-rich and so on) in new tab.

First time you click it - all the needed installation procedures are performed. Next time (after KM restart) the same button sends current page into Chrome tab.

Do you need this really or not - it's for you. I've just provided the possibility.

More questions - feel free to ask.

----------------------------------------------------------

That's all I have for now ... look for that button on the upper left side. OK, have KM Twin fired up now ... it is a round earth looking blue button beside the web title page (left side) ... when you click on it ... it should offer to install the Google Chrome engine. I discovered yesterday that if you say "no", it still seems to install it anyway ... once you click on it, at least it did that for me. Wasn't happy about that but I want to try it out anyway. Just a little leary of Google at times.

Edited by duffy98

I've managed to install it. Now the problem is that when trying to open a website in Chrome tab I get this:

The current version of IE Tab Plus can only work on Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or later.

However, you can still use the former version Coral IE Tab v1.85, which can be downloaded from:

Mozilla Addons Site

Apologize for your inconvenience.

I've tried to install the "Coral IE Tab v1.85" plugin manually but there's no difference. I still get the same message.

tomasz86 ... I don't have any idea what to say ... I am currently installing Google Chrome ... there seems to be a rather long or large download going on now from Google. I am currently waiting for it to finish. I also am using XP Pro ... I would go over to the KM forum and ask rodocop about what you are seeing. You do not have to join or be a member to post or ask a question and he seems to answer fairly quick, at least he did so with me. I may just use the newer KM version without Google Chrome installed or turned on (with XP) and maybe it's not meant to work on Windows 2000. I was happy at the speed that this newer version opens web pages and such so I may not use the Google Chrome feature and maybe it will be OK (better) in newer KM versions. I would ask rodocop about what is going on ... it may be for only XP, Vista and up ... I don't know for sure.

Edited by duffy98

The Gecko engine on v1.7 is old though (I thought it was v1.9, no?)

I really liked K-Meleon and I tried some 1.7/1.6 rebuilds that worked better (without a working passowrd manager though). I am just concerned that I'll adopt K-Meleon as my daily driver, and then not be able to render pages sooner than I think.

Whereas now, I am running Seamonkey, which is VERY lightweight and has an up to date Gecko engine. It works GREAT!

Jody ... thanks for the heads up on Seamonkey, I will give it a try, used an older version several years back ... what version are you talking about ?

This version: SeaMonkey 2.14 Beta 3 ... that's the newest one I see listed.

Jody ... thanks for the heads up on Seamonkey, I will give it a try, used an older version several years back ... what version are you talking about ?

This version: SeaMonkey 2.14 Beta 3 ... that's the newest one I see listed.

I'm on 2.13. When I get home, I'll give you a link to the x64 experimental build.

Some additional information concerning the newer version of K-Meleon Twin+ ... rodocop has started another thread titled: "KM Twin 2.0 wishlist", so anyone who did download and may be using the current version and may have an idea or request for the newer 2.0 version that rodocop is currently working on should post a message at his new thread. The other thread: "CommMeleon2??? Oh, No! K-Meleon Twin+ is here!!!" just had a post from JamesD and he seems to have had some success with KM v1.7 ... I'll post just a few lines ... the rest will be in his post.

Posted by: JamesD

Date: November 10, 2012 09:41PM

@ rodocop

Time to cross one off of your wish list. I have managed to get a new version of KM17n.kmm working. This one uses relative path, closes the Command window, and passes the page or link URL to 1.7.

I did not test in twin, but I did put a 1.7 inside of a 1.6 and tested that way.

KM17n.kmm

--------------------------------------------

K-Meleon Forum:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/list.php?1

... so there could be some new interesting things coming in a newer version one day in the (near?) future.

... thanks Jody for the Seamonkey version you are using ... can I also ask what OS you are currently using with Seamonkey? I am with XP Pro at present. I found version 2.13 at FileHippo:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_seamonkey/13439/

Title: SeaMonkey 2.13

Filename: SeaMonkey Setup 2.13.exe

File size: 19.29MB (20,221,996 bytes)

Requirements: Windows XP / 2003 / Vista / Windows7 / XP64 / Vista64 / Windows7 64

Languages: en-US

License: Freeware

Date added: October 10, 2012

I'M not sure if I can use the x64 experimental build with XP Pro but others may be interested.

thanks

Edited by duffy98

... thank Jody for the Seamonkey version you are using ... can I also ask what OS you are currently using with Seamonkey? I am with XP Pro at present. I found version 2.13 at FileHippo:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_seamonkey/13439/

Title: SeaMonkey 2.13

Filename: SeaMonkey Setup 2.13.exe

File size: 19.29MB (20,221,996 bytes)

Requirements: Windows XP / 2003 / Vista / Windows7 / XP64 / Vista64 / Windows7 64

Languages: en-US

License: Freeware

Date added: October 10, 2012

I'M not sure if I can use the x64 experimental build with XP Pro but others may be interested.

thanks

I am running Seamonkey 2. 13.1 (x64 experimental) on Windows XP x64 Edition (and using an experimental x64 plugin for SumatraPDF). The x86 version of Seamonkey works great on x64 too, and I use the 32-bit version on my older XP notebook PC (running 32-bit)

Yes, I would be using the 32-bit version ... I wasn't completely sure about the x64 version you mentioned when you said it was an "experimental" version ... I understand now.

Also, keep an eye on rodocop working with his newer version of K-Meleon Twin+ ... it may really develop into something nice as improvements and newer versions are released. At least it's something to hope for. Others may offer to help him out when he gets stuck on something to keep things progressing. We will see, I guess.

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone interested or using K-Meleon ... just a little update about K-Meleon Twin posted today by rodocop at the K-Meleon Forum.

Date: December 10, 2012 08:48AM

Little roadmap for 2.0:

I'm planning to create 2 different assemblies:

- Twin 2 light with minimalistic skin and almost no integrated tools

- Twin 2 Max - power internet bundle, including not only browser, but all the web-related stuff: e-mail client, icq-client, twitter one (Azurea), FTP-FXP client (FTPRush), may be even HTML-editor (Kompozer?).

Twin Max is planned as fully portable replacement for Seamonkey and likes (if they do exist) - just put this bundle on USB stick and take it with you all around the world.

What do you think about this idea?

What kind of stuff do you want to see inside?

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/read.php?1,123877,page=2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

... some progress in early stages.

• 2 weeks later...

A post from yesterday by rodocop at the KM forum dealing with his K-Meleon -Twin version.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/read.php?1,123877,page=2

December 19, 2012 09:41PM

***this is just info about current works on the next Twin. No download available. Sorry.***

1. K-Meleon Twin 2.0 active tasks

+ 2 new skins (compact) added

+ FlashBlock button added+ Scribefire Next integration performed

+ Bookmarklets sorting for more convenient use of JS-tools

+ 2 new Bookmarking online services posting added (bookmarklets)

+ Chromium Embed extension updated (new chromium engine) and added

-> skins integrity being tested

-> more KM skin adaptations in work

2. K-Meleon Twin 2.0 planned tasks

=> add extensions by JamesD for sending page between 1.6 & 1.7

=> develop 2 different packages: Twin Slim - minimal and compact-skinned and Twin Bold - full mobile internet USB-package with extra tools

=> adapt more skins

=> create SkinChanger extension (help needed!!!)

3. K-Meleon Twin further tasks (browser development, promotion, community tasks)

=> finalize russian locale

=> create 'tips' html-page (to be the start page) with some extra knowledge about KM and extensions

=> finalize KMext mirror at The K-Meleon Place

=> create toggle-ready sets of prefs for KM use in different conditions (Ex.: 'oldtimers', 'mobile web-access', 'no traces', etc.)

=> create new macros to implement some usability features

=> bundle all Extra Tools as one pack which can be downloaded separately from bare KM Twin if needed

4. KM Twin Bold pack planned kit:

• Mail - Sylpheed or Toolilla (mobile swiss-knife with load of tools including mail)

• FTP - FTPRush portable

• WebFilter - Privoxy

• Torrent - µTorrent

• Twitter - Azurea (??? - maybe replaced by online multimessenger Plus.im)

• Websniffer - Nirsoft WebSite Sniffer

• Uncensored Surfing - Ultrasurf

• LAN setup - NetSetMan (invaluable for mobility users)

• Browse - ChromiumEmbedded (through extension) instead of GoogleChromeFrame for more portability and privacy

Something else???

.... he posted this several days back about needing coders to help out ... through the years I guess they have all moved on to other things.

Question: Hi Rodo,That is a good idea to have KM Twin Max. But try to upgrade to a latest Gecko Engine and also see that it use less resources as earlier. Kindly see that browser is not crashed ,now it is crashing often when you view epapers in pdf formats.i am using windows 7 32 bit.

Answer: To use new Gecko is the main dream of all K-meleonaires. But it's impossible till some skilled coder would get to work on the new KM version.

... still a work in progress.

Edited by duffy98

Frankly speaking, I'm not sure whether all these changes are really necessary :unsure:

K-Meleon was nice because it was very light and fast compared to other Gecko based browsers. The only real problem was that the engine has got old and didn't support new websites very well. Of course this is only my opinion.

Hi, all! I'm the 'last maintainer' of K-Meleon :-)

Yes, tomasz86, you're right. Partly.

K-meleon not was but IS the very light browser among 'big' ones. And even now it handles properly (sometime with extra tricks needed) about 90% of web sites.

The main purpose of K-Meleon Twin (as part of all project resurrection) is to reattract attention to its existence in order to get new coders involved - and thus to solve the problem of integration new Geckos into old K-Meleon corpse ;-)

How to make people use it? I've combined all the power solutions from KM community and created Twin, which can handle pages not only with Gecko but with Webkit too.

K-meleon stays significantly lighter than SeaMonkey or any other modern browser, so the main target group are oldtimers, who are browsing web with 5-10 years old PCs. Even 15 y.o. ones are supposed.

But it would be wrong to suggest this exhaustive. Using KM on the modern PC - is the pure fun. Load dozens of pages simultaneously and it wouldn't eat all the RAM (Chrome will slowdown any 2Gb RAM PC), all switching between tabs are lightning fast.

And more - KM stays unbeatable in terms of extensibility due to its MacroLanguage and of personalization.

Macro extensions do have MINIMUM MINIMORUM footprint on the system and the possibilities of tweaking KM according to your taste are incomparable with other browsers.

What are Chrome skins? Just different coloring and some wallpaper? Even FF Personas are far away from KM - as it's too difficult to combine them with themes.

KM allows change almost all - buttons, background, menus, hotkeys etc... Yes - it's rather uncommon and laborious but it's THERE!

So, I don't think KM (even with modern engine) could become mainstream browser but it has a chance to stay good alternative for 'Big Four'.

And only think it misses - is the some buzz about it. Why Chrome and FF are making new build so frequently? Only to remain in newsfeeds. Obviously.

News rules the World!

Our goal is to make news about K-Meleon. KM Twin is the biggest newsmaker at this time :-)