Req. suggestion for method for customized win7 inst.

Hi everybody

My first post in this forum.

I have been searching and digging a lot for days to find out a way for :

1- creating a custom install media to install win7 SP1 x64 on my system with latest updates ( need offline package up to date) and latest drivers ( I have them downloaded like ATI graphics, sound and others) injected within installation media. Self boot /install media

2- later on i need to create a hidden partition containing this ( above) media copied in it so a key press at boot time brings a new installation from media created in step-1

I found a lot of ways

a- RTsevenlite ( website currently down for me )

b- vLite

c- windows OPK

d- windows automated installation kit.

e- 7customizer

.... and others

I have found that most reliable and official ways to build such an image is using microsoft deployment methods using windows OPK or Windows Automated Installation kit.

Windows OPK is targeted to system builders and only available to channel partners.

windows AIK is for enterprise, perhaps for network deployment ( I will not be deploying over network )

windows AIK is free download ( may be under some license terms )

I can experiment and learn windows AIK for my purpose using virtual machines but I need to have two huge downloads for that matter :

- The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7 KB3AIK_EN.iso 1.7 GB

- The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) Supplement for Windows® 7 SP1 waik_supplement_en-us.iso 1.3 GB

So I am planning to download and experiment them in a virtual machine ( to setup a VM windows and install and run WAIK in it. Then build my Custom media for windows 7 sp1 x64 for my particular system.

I think of using the WAIK for later for my other win7 systems ( one or two to achieve their custom mathced installation media and boot time recovery media )

for recovery purpose I have been experimenting with GHOST and ACRONIS times back. but I wish to create a solution like a branded system recovery method. Just press a key at the bios boot time and it deploys a custom made image to bring things to factory installed state.

That's all my understanding and I need advice/suggestion, am I on the right track?

Should I download and go ahead for the two huge WAIK file and start playing ?

Thanks

Edited by sunnyimran

Really don't need to d/l those huge waik. everything can be found for your purpose in deployment tools

The help files alone should be enough http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2458 here

or

Read what I say here about (ADK) for Windows® 8. Its ok it will still work for Win 7.

this guy may have something you might look at. I found link on MDL

http://anarethos.dyndns.org:8080/recovery_W7W8.html

I prefer Acronis myself.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks maxXPsoft for your opinion

I am reading them out

To build my custom media:

I am trying to get little tools like DISM ( already available in a working win7) and ocdimg.exe and imagex and other stuff as required.

So may be I would not need to download this :

Windows AIK for windows 7 ( huge download)

&

windows AIK for win7 supplement ( another huge download )

To create a factory reset recovery media in hidden partition

But how to get my custom installation media in a hidden partition and recover by press of a key?

I prefer not to ghost or acronis this time.

reading about http://anarethos.dyn...overy_W7W8.html

So can I do it using microsoft tools, the way system builders do ?

Windows ADK targeted for win 8 platform, does it offer all same features like win7 AIK to customize and deploy win 7 ?

thanks

you can get all those tools in the ADK link above including the help files. Works for Win 7 and 8 but need .Net4. unattend.chm is most important

yes you do this with <TypeID>

<ModifyPartitions>
<ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
<Order>1</Order>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>Recovery</Label>
<TypeID>0x27</TypeID>
</ModifyPartition>

I wanted to do this myself but never got around to it with other things. I have created the partitions and stuff as a test in VM.

Recommend getting VM software for testing.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Many thanks maxXPsoft

I am gonna try ADK to experiment on win 7 in my VM setup

I need to custom build a win7 x64 update integrated media first then recovery things

thanks for the partition tip. will try later.

one more question please:

I have multiple .net versions installed on my system as time to time windows updates previous one also resides there.

is it safe to un-install all previous .net versions and keep the latest one only

similar is the case for M$ runtime c++ , sometimes we get new versions through windows update or with other applications while old one stays there.

a buddy recommended to make sure if any application is still using any previous instance of C++ runtime, if not you can un-install that stuff.

But how to make this sure?

post-364546-0-61783300-1352190441_thumb.

.Net is a mess and always has been. If you making an Unattend then that will clear up after you get your system installed.

If you want Net 4 then I use this here to install it on my unattend

For runtime c++ I uninstall all and then use this on my actual and in my unattended even on Win 8 Visual C++ Redist Installer V17.exe

Are you using Windows Updates Downloader for your updates? Will get them all and you can inject

Look at my link in sig below for the Right click .wim which is easy method