Windows Live Messenger loads when I check inbox in Hotmail

Dogway

Very self explanatory, whenever I login to hotmail, the built in web Windows Live Messenger auto logs in. How can I turn this off?

I'm using Firefox but didn't find anything on the web on how to do this.

Edited by Dogway

I remember I once found a how-to on google, so I just did and forgot. Until recently that I saw MSN auto-login again. So I'm thinking it has to do more with a deleted cookie. I think this specific setting stores inside a cookie, and when I do a PC deep clean (once a month) it gets cleared.

I have saved a few hotmail cookies from being cleared on CCleaner, but it seems they are not the ones that store this information.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I remember doing that, but all of sudden one day I realised it was again signing in.

Now once signed out, I check everyday and it doesn't auto sign in, but I don't know until when that is OK, I'll report back when it happens.

It probably stores that setting in a cookie. As I mentioned, Yahoo does the same thing BUT it won't do it if you are signed in somewhere already. Yahoo (at least) still considers the IM and the Email separate. So as an example, while I don't really use Yahoo IM, I have all my Yahoo accounts signed in on an IM client (Trillian) and set to away. Then anytime I log into email, Yahoo can't connect the IM because they are already in "use." ;)

• 4 months later...

Ok, privacy hell is back.

Hotmail is now Outlook, and now it seems I am eternally connected to messenger.

You can check this by clicking on the smiley at the top-right, and on the bottom of the column you read, Connected to MSN. (BTW the facebook thingy never goes away)

You can also see this if you click on you avatar, it just let you choose on "available" or "hidden", if you click on Close Session, you automatically get kicked out of hotmail/outlook altogether. What is this bizarreness I sense all over me?

PD: Not to mention the design sucks, but that's another story.