How to change default langauge of Metro apps?

tomasz86

Does anyone know how to easily change langauge of Metro apps? Is it possible to do it one by one, separately for each of them?

At the moment they just follow the language used in system regional settings / locale / language pack. If I change the locale then the language used in those applications also change. I'd just like to be able to set it manually.

I hope that it's possible...

No ideas? :(

I guess I'll have to try to figure it out myself. This is something I really hate when it comes to applications (operating systems included). For some reason they know "better" than you what language you "want" to use, i.e. they just check your system locale and use the language defined there. It's not a problem when they offer options to change it later (ex. Skype, VLC) but in some cases there's no such option! I've experienced this problem not only in Windows but also in MANY of the Android applications. Same thing with these Metro apps.

Most users probably don't care but I change the locale depending on my needs so it becomes really annoying if you can't just define the language in those applications once and for all.

Edited by tomasz86

is there really much use in such approach?

Not quite sure about metro apps,

but I do find some program, or to be precise,

Windows API for Characters/String handling routines WILL behave differently depends on what the "ACP" value in registry (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Nls\CodePage) during boot-up.

I know this when I try figuring out, why some japanese flash games doesn't works on US/English windows as I don't see anything obvious about checks for non-japanese locale in its action scripts.

Under winXP, I'm usually using the discouraged AppLocale,

its usages is discouraged as MS wants you to CHANGE the Regional Settings instead, just like what the OP already doing.

Theres hack-ish modified AppLocale that works on Win8 DP on the net somewhere,

since AppLocale considered as "Desktop Apps", I kinda doubt that AppLocale would works on metro apps ...

Edited by Joseph_sw

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's possible without modding of each individual metro app. Why would you need different languages in your metro apps, is there really much use in such approach?

For example I'd like to view News for several different countries at the same time but at the moment you have to choose only one language in the News application so it's impossible.

For example I'd like to view News for several different countries at the same time but at the moment you have to choose only one language in the News application so it's impossible.

No, that's by design and for your own good.

Next release of the OS you will only be able to access MS news. :w00t::whistle:

;)

jaclaz