Guide to build XP/SP3 setup drivers included and more;

cozinbob2

I found this guide and think it might be very helpful. Aimed at the not so technical user ie; newbs like myself. http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121334

As a "Guide" I would give it a D-. It lacks everything mentioned it the posts later and is NEARLY unreadable for all of the extra crud due to it being so broken up.

Must be O.K. No negative comments after 19 views. :yes:

A little full of ourselves aren't we? 19 views is pretty arbitrary considering say 33% of those were mods and search engines. Then the rest could have been leeches or people that followed the link and couldn't make heads or tails of the guide, then gave up.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

LOL, you people are so pathetic. How sad. It has been fun too. Keep em coming will you please. You are humoring me greatly too. Don't be shy now. I need this more than a tooth ache. Very childish too. So sad really. :lol:

+1

Lemma impart some history to you:

Drivers packs? Bashrat the sneaky started them HERE.

Update packs? RyanVM started them HERE.

nLite\vLite? Nuhi Started them HERE.

WMP Slipstreamer? Started at Ryans but from Boooogy who started HERE.

Siginet? Yup HERE.

Xable? Yeah started HERE...

That's great thanks for the info and so the point is?

I didn't have a issue with you untill this post.

All of you leechers are the same. You think you know it all and refuse to listen to anyone else.

Allow me please to participate to this ridiculous thread.

First, .... the guide (made by someone else) is not that great, so you shouldn't have been expecting much praise, which you made it look like that's what you were in for (with your 2nd post).

Aside of that, please people, give him a break.

Lets just consider this; nLite at the start was a tool to make Windows XP/2K install the fastest possible, for a personal (enthusiast's) use. Removing unneeded components and pre-integrating your own drivers were ways to get there.

The "guide" is aimed to make a huge XP disc that would be able to install on everyone (else?)'s pc, so it's not in the philosophical line of nLite. Personally, I would not recommend anyone to follow that guide.

I do agree though that frequently asked info is buried deep in the forum, but this guide is only aimed at answering very few of them and as such is not worth a sticky. End.

Allow me please to participate to this ridiculous thread.

First, .... the guide (made by someone else) is not that great, so you shouldn't have been expecting much praise, which you made it look like that's what you were in for (with your 2nd post).

Aside of that, please people, give him a break.

Lets just consider this; nLite at the start was a tool to make Windows XP/2K install the fastest possible, for a personal (enthusiast's) use. Removing unneeded components and pre-integrating your own drivers were ways to get there.

The "guide" is aimed to make a huge XP disc that would be able to install on everyone (else?)'s pc, so it's not in the philosophical line of nLite. Personally, I would not recommend anyone to follow that guide.

I do agree though that frequently asked info is buried deep in the forum, but this guide is only aimed at answering very few of them and as such is not worth a sticky. End.

I totally agree, but I have been able to build an XP/SP3 install disc that is fully unattended from the format drive stage of the install, and it only has a small number of windows updates to get, and it is a universal setup not respective to hardware or system type whereby driver installs are not required. The guide mentioned that he would have to write a book to go into all the details so it is (in my opinion) more of a suggestion of a procedure to build an XPSP3 setup that works on any PC. In keeping with the Nlite purpose I do reduce the size of the XP by about 150Mb's, and depending on which driver packs i include I can make it fit on a CD disc. The large packs for sound and video are omitted, and only the mass storage, chipset, and lan or wireless lan are kept.

Only to further clear the whole point is/was not whether the referenced post is a good "guide" or a "bad" guide, simply that it represents NOT a "guide" and at least from me there was not at all a bashng of it, but simply a pointing out how it cannot (IMHO) be called a "guide".

jaclaz

Only to further clear the whole point is/was not whether the referenced post is a good "guide" or a "bad" guide, simply that it represents NOT a "guide" and at least from me there was not at all a bashng of it, but simply a pointing out how it cannot (IMHO) be called a "guide".

jaclaz

I chose a wrong word maybe to the name of the thread. Found this as a part of what guide means. "pamphlet, etc., giving information, instructions, or advice; handbook: an investment guide".

I chose a wrong word maybe to the name of the thread. Found this as a part of what guide means. "pamphlet, etc., giving information, instructions, or advice; handbook: an investment guide".
If anyone starts a new thread with the topic "Guide to build XP/SP3 setup drivers included and more" within the Forum named "nLite Forum", the visitors do expect,

1. that there is something like a "Guide" (and not a simple link) within the start post,

2. that the thread starter has written the "Guide" himself and

3. that the "Guide" has been designed for users of the tool nLite.

None of these preconditions are given. The title is absolutely misleading. I even doubt, that this thread is really helpful for nLite users.

Please compair your "guide" with my "sticky" ones within this Forum.

The correct title for this thread would be "Link to another Forum with a description of the DriverPacks method".

Additional information for all visitors of this thread:

The most important reason to use a tool like nLite is the integration of the appropriate AHCI or RAID driver into the XP CD, because otherwise the XP Setup will not detect the HDD/SSD, which is running in AHCI or RAID mode.

Unfortunately none of the DriverPacks, not even the "Mass Storage" DP, contains a file named TXTSETUP.OEM, which is absolutely needed, if the user tries to load an AHCI or RAID driver via F6 or to integrate it into the XP CD by using a tool like nLite.

That is why it doesn't make much sense to combine the DriverPacks with nLite.

Edited by Fernando 1

If anyone starts a new thread with the topic "Guide to build XP/SP3 setup drivers included and more" within the Forum named "nLite Forum", the visitors do expect,

1. that there is something like a "Guide" (and not a simple link) within the start post,

2. that the thread starter has written the "Guide" himself and

3. that the "Guide" has been designed for users of the tool nLite.

None of these preconditions are given. The title is absolutely misleading. I even doubt, that this thread is really helpful for nLite users.

Please compair your "guide" with my "sticky" ones within this Forum.

The correct title for this thread would be "Link to another Forum with a description of the DriverPacks method".

Please show me the sticky for the driver packs method.