Drivers for new computers?

huja

Then i don't see anything except trying to reset the bios (perhaps, there is a setting there that is preventing the driver/device to function properly) and reinstall a clean XP (to be sure as i had one time this strange behavior after installing a wrong driver and XP would still use the wrong one even when i provided the good one) then install the official HP x86 drivers for the Radeon HD first with the installer.

Then i don't see anything except trying to reset the bios (perhaps, there is a setting there that is preventing the driver/device to function properly) and reinstall a clean XP (to be sure as i had one time this strange behavior after installing a wrong driver and XP would still use the wrong one even when i provided the good one) then install the official HP x86 drivers for the Radeon HD first with the installer.

Hello,

Probably you are right. Nevertheless, what I observed, is that Catalyst cannot be removed from Add/Remove Programs. All the other programs have the Remove option, but Catalyst has only Change. I removed all the components, but the Catalyst is still there.

Gabriel

Edited by Gabriel

Another switchable graphic example: HP ProBook 4540s

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552-5229455.html?dnr=1

A Intel GPU and a AMD Radeon HD 7650M

There are XP drivers

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=ca&prodNameId=5229457&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=5229455&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093

However no AMD graphics drivers

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=5229455&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c03505081

The AMD Switchable Graphics feature is not supported in Microsoft Windows XP. Switchable Graphics is only supported on this model of HP notebook PC when running Windows 7 and Windows 8

Is a switchable Radeon HD 7650M possible at XP at all?

Its not really the function of the Radeon to do this. The switching feature is dependent on the Intel GPU instead. That is why the Intel Desktop drivers, while they install and do work, will cause the problem the Op is experiencing. I checked the Intel Mobile driver package I have here (which is what he needs) but the INF is written to block install on XP. The built in software side of switching graphics on the Intel GPU needs Vista or higher. I can't identify what specifically it uses.

XP did indeed have switchable graphics, but those always required a reboot and either had a physical switch (like a wireless switch) or an option to change in the BIOS. You can find these drivers in the following links... note they are Windows 7 drivers.

ftp://65.106.72.164/Notebook/Compal/QAL30_50_51/Drivers/Win7(32)64/02_VGA_QAL3050_Intel_x64_9.17.10.2884.zip
ftp://65.106.72.164/Notebook/Compal/QAL30_50_51/Drivers/Win7(32)64/02_VGA_QAL3050_Intel_x86_9.17.10.2884.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Its not really the function of the Radeon to do this. The switching feature is dependent on the Intel GPU instead. That is why the Intel Desktop drivers, while they install and do work, will cause the problem the Op is experiencing. I checked the Intel Mobile driver package I have here (which is what he needs) but the INF is written to block install on XP. The built in software side of switching graphics on the Intel GPU needs Vista or higher. I can't identify what specifically it uses.

XP did indeed have switchable graphics, but those always required a reboot and either had a physical switch (like a wireless switch) or an option to change in the BIOS. You can find these drivers in the following links... note they are Windows 7 drivers.

ftp://65.106.72.164/Notebook/Compal/QAL30_50_51/Drivers/Win7(32)64/02_VGA_QAL3050_Intel_x64_9.17.10.2884.zip
ftp://65.106.72.164/Notebook/Compal/QAL30_50_51/Drivers/Win7(32)64/02_VGA_QAL3050_Intel_x86_9.17.10.2884.zip

Hello,

I tried the drivers mentioned above, but they are not working.

I haven’t physical switch or an option to change in the BIOS.

So, it’s maximum that I can obtain from this installation. I am happy anyway because all important problems were resolved.

Thank you all for your help,

Gabriel