Enabling AHCI on XP with Panther Point

lioninstreet

I'm setting up a i5 2300 and a Gigabyte B75m-D3H running a 250gb Velociraptor as a workstation that needs to run XP. So I'm stuck with a 10 year old OS on this install.

I started the old fashion way, using the f6 install of the gigabyte SATA AHCI driver with the correct external floppy. All was recognized, but when it came time to choose the appropriate storage controller the only ones that showed up were the ICH7R/DH, ICH7RMDW, Desktop/Workstation/Server express chipset, and the moble chipset. I started with the Desktop chipset but got the dreaded 0X00000007b error.

In fact none of the controllers would get me past the 7b error.

So I tried to slipstream my XP sp3 disk. When slipstreaming the driver, I chose the standard7 series chipset (that would show up) and after successfully burning the .iso I thought I had it beat. But still no install and the same 7b error came up. By the way I've been wiping the drive after each attempt just in case...

What gives? As I was researching this I read somewhere that the 7 series chipset will not work with XP in AHCI. Any truth to that?

I've looked for info, even to see if there were any similar z77 issues, but not much can be found. Sure could use some input. I'm out of patience.

Which set did you use?

I used the driver found on the mainboard page that is listed below, Not the one shown on the page you linked to. Funny that Gigabyte would show an older driver on the board page...

Intel SATA Preinstall driver

(For AHCI / RAID Mode)

Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy.

11.1.0.1006 0.37 MB

2012/5/30

Edited by lioninstreet

Have you been in the BIOS yet? This is what most Gigabyte motherboards pre-UEFI look like ...

33726-core-2-quad-q6600-ga-ep35-ds3-4gb-ram-8800gt-512mb-10-8-2-ahci.jpg

If instead that is UEFI, here is a thread that shows lots of pictures from the BIOS ... Gigabyte B75M-D3H Motherboard Sandy Bridge Review

I have been trying to find a picture of the AHCI/Sata setting. This might be it ...

2xAED.png

Intel B75 works fine with XP x86. The right controller is "Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" and it is in the F6floppy files from intel rapid storage June drivers (the most recent doesn't work on xp anymore).

Just tried the controller you suggested by floppy choosing the Desktop/Workstation controller (other choices were ICH7R/DH, ICH7RMDW, and the moble chipset).

Blue screen and 7b error again.

Then you didn't set sata mode as ahci in the uefi/bios. I know this for sure because i installed xp on the same motherboard yesterday morning.

You need an XP SP3 media and the floppy i linked (or a media with the driver from the floppy slipstreamed).

This is really strange, I did enable AHCI and when I open the Bios it shows as being selected.

As I metioned in an earlier post, If I change the setting to IDE, the OS will go thru loading and give me the set partition screen, change it back and blue screen.

When you did your install, did you also do it by floppy or by slipstream? Either way, which controller did you select?

Another thing I noticed was my SATA cable hooked to the drive is the one with the 90 degree end and it is hooked to the sata 3 controller. The Drive is visible in the Bios as well.

You need to connect the boot hard drive to sata 0 if you want sata 3 speed (see page 17 of the user manual for sata port number). I slipstreamed the driver (but i don't think it can make a difference).

If your install is doing a blue screen even in ide mode then you might have another thing wrong (as XP SP3 shouldn't do a blue screen when using ide mode).

I never connect another hard drive/optic drive to a lower sata port number except the boot drive and i used the flat cable.

Also check the boot order in the hard drive preference in UEFI if you have more than one drive i had the problem with another Gigabyte MB. The hard drive BBS Priority would change the order the drives where detected by windows.

You need to connect the boot hard drive to sata 0 if you want sata 3 speed (see page 17 of the user manual for sata port number). I slipstreamed the driver (but i don't think it can make a difference).

If your install is doing a blue screen even in ide mode then you might have another thing wrong (as XP SP3 shouldn't do a blue screen when using ide mode).

I never connect another hard drive/optic drive to a lower sata port number except the boot drive and i used the flat cable.

Also check the boot order in the hard drive preference in UEFI if you have more than one drive i had the problem with another Gigabyte MB. The hard drive BBS Priority would change the order the drives where detected by windows.

Thanks for the reply Allen2,

I only have one hard drive and it is connected to the sata 3 port per the manual. I also tried one of the sata 2 ports directly on the board with the blue screen result

I do not blue screen when in IDE mode

When you slipstreamed, which controller did you choose?

Will try the cable swap but I doubt that is my problem since the drive shows up OK fine in UEFI.

Just to see what will happen I'm trying the f6 floppy install with the W7/32 controller and a copy of W7 I have. Perhaps I'm having an issue with my XP disk..

When you slipstreamed, which controller did you choose?

I don't choose i'm just adding the whole drivers from the F6 floppy and i'm doing this by hand not using any third party tool (i had problems with nlite in the past for this step so i learned how to do it by hand and now doing it by any other means seems inappropriate).

I am editing the files dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif and adding in the right sections:

- Dosnet.inf:

[FloppyFiles.2]
d1,iastor.sys

[Strings]
iastor = "Intel(R) ICHx SATA AHCI Controller"

- txtsetup.sif:

[SourceDisksFiles]
IaStor.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1
IaStor.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
iaAHCI.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B29&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2F&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B22&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E02&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C03&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C02&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

[SCSI.Load]
IaStor = IaStor.sys,4

[SCSI]
IaStor = "Intel(R) ICHx SATA AHCI Controller"

The inf from iastor.inf and iaahci.inf need to be to edited (if you don't want to be prompted to give the path of the files at the second step of the install):

[SourceDisksNames]
1 = %DiskName%,,,\i386

Then i am replacing the files dosnet.inf, txtsetup.sif (they are in the i386 folder of the xp CD).

Then i am using makecab to compress the files iastor.inf, iaahci.inf and iastor.sys and then i'am also adding them in the i386 folder.

Edited by allen2

B75 and Z77 have for sure XP x86 and x64 support for mass storage (you need to get intel drivers from june. The september's one doesn't support XP anymore).

Intel Usb 3 won't work for any intel 7 chipset as it's driver only support windows 7 and higher but there is a linux driver.