Winsetupfromusb completely skips text mode

qzack96

I copy the XP CD onto the flash drive using winsetupfromusb, and boot up from the flash drive. But all I get is the choices to begin the GUI part of the install, which obviously fails because the first text mode installation hasn't been completely obviously. Any ideas?

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

Really sorry to open this again but it's driving me crazy already. I have installed XP once in a machine and all worked fine. Then, installed Vista but it doesn't suit me so I want to go back to XP. The first screen that should appear is "Select First part, second part, etc" but it does not. It goes straight to the Second Part" where it cannot proceed!

Heeeeeeelp please................. :no:

Reinstall grub4dos in MBR or PBR. There is grubinst_GUI.exe tool included in the package. Or use BootIce.

I guess Vista setup, or some other program later on put back regular NT MBR or PBR, wiping out the grub4dos one.

If you are using the old 0.2.3 version, I'd highly recommend you to redo the USB disk with the latest version announced:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/

Reinstall grub4dos in MBR or PBR. There is grubinst_GUI.exe tool included in the package. Or use BootIce.

I guess Vista setup, or some other program later on put back regular NT MBR or PBR, wiping out the grub4dos one.

If you are using the old 0.2.3 version, I'd highly recommend you to redo the USB disk with the latest version announced:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/

Thank you so much for your valuable help!!!

Works like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)