Why you should avoid buying Windows 8

LeaflameSD

When I see someone ready to jump into the Cloud, usually friends and family but sometimes lazy clients, I asked them this about the company hosting their apps and data: "What's in it for them? How did you get so lucky to find someone willing purchase, setup and run a HDD 24/7/365, and maintains it, secures it, and makes sure it is always available to you at any ungodly hour? Now if you can imagine doing it yourself you realize there is real cost to such an arrangement: hardware purchase, electricity, and much time spent on configuration and housekeeping, not to mention failure replacement and backing up. Knowing these costs exist, I ask you again, What is in it for your cloud host?"

BTW this is not only connected to "free" and not only to "cloud", another "horror story":

http://www.edrants.com/3am-magazine-how-twelve-years-of-literary-content-disappeared-in-an-instant/

jaclaz

BTW this is not only connected to "free" and not only to "cloud", another "horror story":

http://www.edrants.com/3am-magazine-how-twelve-years-of-literary-content-disappeared-in-an-instant/

Amazing. :no:

If I ran a magazine website, I'd have redundant copies of multiple backups at the office and in my house and in all my relatives' houses.

But this horror case does still speak to what we're talking about, in terms of entrusting your digital life to the Cloud. :ph34r:

--JorgeA

And Windows 8, the most cloud-centric operating system yet, will hit desktops by the tens of millions in the coming year.

Maybe... :ph34r:

As for cloud storage of personal or business data, I will use my usual not so polite way of expressing it. Only mentally challenged parties would even think of such a thing. It never ceases to amaze me how sheeple are so eager to hand over all or large parts of their personal data/lives to some total stranger.

Microsoft and Google seem to get confusingly similar nowadays. Both competing directly on so many of the same fields, the scroogle page was funny.

The same thing for the symbiosis between Win8 and the Internet services. It just gets much harder to remain anonymous or even hide your preferences from data miners. For a large part of the population, they just won't care or be aware of what happens.

In a post-modern world, only the command line will survive all these things. No fancy Javascript or Metro-like will get things done when systems get broken.

Edited by Nuno Brito

I think that once MS finally takes away the DOS prompt, that will be the last straw for many of us. Let's hope that day never happens.

One could argue that they already have. Sure, cmd.exe is still there but that part is so trivial to replace (especially in such a primitive form), and there exists many good replacements for it (better ones) like console2.

The thing though is that they've let it fall aside, much like a lot of other good stuff. Batch files (and to some extent cmd.exe) haven't been meaningfully updated in over a decade. And what mostly replaced it (vbscript primarily -- and what relied on it like classic ASP) has also suffered the same treatment (no meaningful updates since Win2k). Also, they've never put in the effort to give it a good suite of command line tools (something similar to what Linux has). It always felt second rate and very much under-powered.

The current flavor of "command line" is powershell, and many GUI tools on server versions of Windows are merely front ends that create powershell commands (like tools to administer exchange). Sadly, these tools are getting metro-ified now...

If you exclude powershell, Windows is by far the one with the least powerful "command line window".

but none of the available evidence contradicts the theory that Microsoft will soon jettison their entire successful x86 history and completely morph into Apple.

Nah. They're only copying the bad parts, and they're just not managing to produce anything attractive. They're failing real hard at copying Apple and other established markets, much like they were late with the Zune, when Apple was already selling iPhones and iPod Touchs that run apps and do far more than just a mp3 player. Too little, too late, along with a bad execution, a unattractive branding, a history of failures, a price point that fails to attract, a history of poor support, etc.

I am not joking. Microsoft accusing others of malware problems! :lol::lol::lol:

That's priceless!

Not only Win8 is getting a lot of bad reviews, including the one from the usability guru last week, but this week brings another gem, on a MIT blog from a well known guy with a PhD in comp sci: Christmas gift for someone you hate: Windows 8.

Why develop a Win8-only Metro app, when Win8 has almost no users and that Metro apps are avoided by Win8 users, and when you're unlikely to make money even when there are hundreds of millions of users?

Seemingly some developers learn these lessons the hard way. In the first month alone, iOS made them £70,000, Android £50,000, and Win RT will bring in somewhere between £150 and £200... This will also serve as a lesson to others doing market research to see if its profitable to develop Metro apps.

I think that the reason "Why you [one] should avoid buying Windows 8" is that either 9 will be great (and skipping 8 will have been a wise move), or there'll be no Microsoft left after 8 (and, hence, skipping 8 will have been an even wiser move), and this may very well end-up being the case, at the end of the day... :yes:

@Coffefiend,

JFYI the guy has replaced the whatever was cited by Business Insider with this:

http://www.rubicondev.com/blog/windows-rt-born-to-fail/

If anyone already read this post, it has had a very positive effect and Microsoft have graciously decided work with us to iron out the problems and get us past this incident.

With a sense of fair play, I’m putting my grumpiness on hiatus and deleting the juicy bits. Which was all of it, sorry.

Personally - and being notoriously expert on grumpy businesses - I call this "behaving as a brainless mercenary and selfish clown" :realmad: instead of "fair play", though.

What the heck does he think, that by deleting that text he will make everything as before?

Some excerpts are all over the net, example:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/378562/hit-game-makes-52-in-first-week-on-windows-rt

jaclaz

What the heck does he think, that by deleting that text he will make everything as before?

Yes, I believe it's pointless too. I already knew he had "deleted" it as well.

I just found it funny that a game that's sold many millions of copies on Android and iOS (and is making them millions) is basically generating zero revenue as a Metro app. Not even enough to recoup the costs of porting it.

If you want to make money selling apps, the Apple and Google stores is where the money is at and it's not going to change anytime soon with Win8 tablets like Surface failing pretty hard, and desktop users avoiding everything Metro like the plague it is.

As for cloud storage of personal or business data, I will use my usual not so polite way of expressing it. Only mentally challenged parties would even think of such a thing.

LOL

It never ceases to amaze me how sheeple are so eager to hand over all or large parts of their personal data/lives to some total stranger.

Yeah, for some (a lot of?) people it's going to take some large, destructive, and well-publicized data breaches to make them stop and think if that's really what they want to do.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

The same thing for the symbiosis between Win8 and the Internet services. It just gets much harder to remain anonymous or even hide your preferences from data miners. For a large part of the population, they just won't care or be aware of what happens.

Apropos of this, the Wall Street Journal just had an informative article on the subject of online tracking.

For a boost to private browsing, I recommend using Ixquick's option to open a search result link through a proxy. Now it works such that every link you click on while on the website you're visiting, is also processed via a proxy server.

--JorgeA

Apropos of this, the Wall Street Journal just had an informative article on the subject of online tracking.

Really sad to see how the crossing of all this information can give a very complete scenario of what we do online across these sites.

For a boost to private browsing, I recommend using Ixquick's option to open a search result link through a proxy. Now it works such that every link you click on while on the website you're visiting, is also processed via a proxy server.

Thanks JorgeA, I have now mentioned this option at http://www.google-is-evil.com/thread-3.html

Previously I was using scroogle until it closed doors and later duckduckgo.

Have to quote myself from Post #130 above for this update to make sense ...

I'm still stunned by this. Does Microsoft really want a ... "Do you have a Windows malware horror story? Reply with #WindowsRage with your best/worst story and we may have a get-well present for you." Have they learned nothing in all these years? Do they not anticipate #BsodRage or #MetroRage? Insert other obvious hashtags here as desired.

Well that was quick ...

Microsoft's #droidrage campaign results in #windowsrage on Twitter ( The Verge 2012-12-06 )

... Microsoft kicked off #droidrage again, seemingly out of the blue, and it has backfired.

#droidrage turns to #windowsrage in marketing blunder

Twitter users have created a #windowsrage hash tag that is full of users upset by Microsoft's latest marketing misstep. The company's fascination with being anti-Google reached its peak recently after the Bing division launched its "scroogled" campaign to directly attack Google's "unfair pay-to-rank shopping practices." It's the latest in a host of anti-Google attacks from Microsoft ranging from the Gmail man to newspaper ads bashing Google's privacy changes. It's clear from the #droidrage effort that end users don't always take to these in your face marketing campaigns. Perhaps the Windows Phone team will now focus on the challenges it has with its own product before trying to take down the most widely used mobile operating system.

rotflmao.gif That's Karma baby ( again )