Why you should avoid buying Windows 8

LeaflameSD

I totally forgot about that one, which was last weeks questionable tactic from the new MicroApple. At least in that case they aren't being exactly hypocritical ... yet. But give them time and paid listings will likely show up. But that is still some really strong chutzpah since they do have ads built-in to the shipped Windows 8 operating system!

I'm still still speechless at this new one about malware, I almost choked when I read it! "Do you have an Android malware horror story? Reply with #DroidRage with your best/worst story and we may have a get-well present for you." The only rationale that can be used for this incredibly dumb idea is that Windows Phone has zero market share so they're technically free of virus and malware. I mean, what else could they be thinking?

You know that if WP8 ever gets any traction and obtains even 10% penetration that it will become the traditional magnet for malware - business as usual. And considering all the ill-will blowing their way from these questionable tactics and not to mention from their senseless attacks on traditional desktop users everywhere ( "you're doing it wrong" and "it's dated and cheesy" ) it is gonna be worse than it ever was before. Karma, again.

That was an interesting analysis. They're running a classic propaganda campaign -- "we do much the same thing that you do, but the topic is what YOU do, not what we do, so don't change the subject..."

--JorgeA

I'm still still speechless at this new one about malware, I almost choked when I read it! "Do you have an Android malware horror story? Reply with #DroidRage with your best/worst story and we may have a get-well present for you." The only rationale that can be used for this incredibly dumb idea is that Windows Phone has zero market share so they're technically free of virus and malware. [...]

:lol:

Where have we heard that kind of argument before? ;)

--JorgeA

Additionally (and yes I am old) a sentence like this:

http://www.scroogled.com/pdf/Official_Bing_Blogpost_-_A_Campaign_for_Honest_Search.pdf

Bing’s Different Approach to Honest Search

Today, Bing renews its commitment to the old rules – to honoring our side of the

bargain with shoppers by delivering better, more objectively ranked search results.

Is ONLY acceptable on a document DATED and SIGNED by Mr.BING.

For NO apparent reason ;):

tumblr_lp7t4eODYU1qhuq1co1_500.jpg

jaclaz

watch this video and you see how touch and Win8 sucks (look how terrible it is to type commands or work on the desktop): :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Defrag-Show/Defrag-Adding-MicroSD-to-Libraries-Multiboot-PCs-Win8-Mail-App

I can't understand why touch should be "so great" and we all should think that normal monitors are "broken" compared to touch ones.

Here is a welcome update to Post #84 from above. These were the rumors barely 10 days ago ...

To their credit, both Intel and AMD heard the growing criticism and have made crystal clear statements to stem the controversy. AMD came first and then Intel finally spoke up ...

AMD Reaffirms Commitment to Socketed CPUs Through At Least 2014 ( Maximum PC 2012-12-05 )

AMD Says It Is Not Abandoning Socketed CPUs ( Tom's Hardware 2012-12-05 )

AMD will remain committed to user-upgradeable CPUs ( TechSpot 2012-12-05 )

AMD not abandoning socketed CPUs ( NeoWin 2012-12-06 )

Intel Says Company Committed to Sockets ( Maximum PC 2012-12-05 )

Intel: We're Still Committed To Sockets ( Tom's Hardware 2012-12-06 )

Intel committed to socketed CPUs "for the foreseeable future" ( TechSpot 2012-12-06 )

Intel: We will offer removable CPUs "for the foreseeable future" ( NeoWin 2012-12-06 )

There is a lesson here for MicroApple, one they will no doubt completely ignore. It is NOT a good idea to p*** off your loyal customers, especially when most of them are veterans that know full well what these sea-changes really mean. Would Intel have made that statement without AMD first grabbing the spotlight? Probably not, but "better late than never" applies here IMHO. AMD always seems to bring the better side out of Intel in their little competition. :yes: I just cannot say the same about Apple and Microsoft ( and Google ).

Microsoft has had well over one year and a half since the early leaks and BUILD demos which signaled their wayward trajectory of attacking the traditional Windows interface. All they had to do was find space in one of those 80 million word Sinofsky blog posts or other assorted propaganda outlet to simply state that they "remain committed to the Windows Desktop as well as the ...". This attack on a user base that is 700 million or 1.3 billion ( or whatever ) strong, will go down as the craziest idea in all of business history.

I'm still still speechless at this new one about malware, I almost choked when I read it! "Do you have an Android malware horror story? Reply with #DroidRage with your best/worst story and we may have a get-well present for you." The only rationale that can be used for this incredibly dumb idea is that Windows Phone has zero market share so they're technically free of virus and malware. [...]

:lol:

Where have we heard that kind of argument before? ;)

--JorgeA

I'm still stunned by this. Does Microsoft really want a ... "Do you have a Windows malware horror story? Reply with #WindowsRage with your best/worst story and we may have a get-well present for you." Have they learned nothing in all these years? Do they not anticipate #BsodRage or #MetroRage? Insert other obvious hashtags here as desired.

Man, if I was on that Board of Directors I would push out Ballmer, get myself appointed CEO temporarily and let the #Bloodletting begin. :lol: Not the hard-working devs, but those big fat layers of blubber in middle to upper management. Extreme treatment would be reserved for the advertising and publicity personnel. :yes: The Metro evangelists that inflicted this abomination on the entire Windows brand rather than targeting mobile specifically would suffer Medieval punishment.

it's more "pretty shocking" to see how slow touch is. And this should be the future? :unsure:

After actually using Windows 8 for the first time yesterday on a non-touchy screen, I'm surprised that MS didn't implement better alternative mouse controls. When using any Modern App, the mouse behaves the same as it always has. You should be able to drag the screen around rather than having to rely on scroll bars and what not. Just go look at how the mouse behaves in Google Maps. That would have made a world of difference for non-touch if you ask me.

A "hint" from an actual "horror story":

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

Moreover, if your computers aren’t already cloud-connected devices, they will be soon. Apple is working hard to get all of its customers to use iCloud. Google’s entire operating system is cloud-based. And Windows 8, the most cloud-centric operating system yet, will hit desktops by the tens of millions in the coming year. My experience leads me to believe that cloud-based systems need fundamentally different security measures.

jaclaz

A "hint" from an actual "horror story":

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

Moreover, if your computers aren’t already cloud-connected devices, they will be soon. Apple is working hard to get all of its customers to use iCloud. Google’s entire operating system is cloud-based. And Windows 8, the most cloud-centric operating system yet, will hit desktops by the tens of millions in the coming year. My experience leads me to believe that cloud-based systems need fundamentally different security measures.

Amen, bro!

I think that I reported in one of these threads about a discussion I had about the Cloud with a computer salesman who was pushing Windows 8's cloud-centric focus. Yeah, like I'm going to leave my e-mail, documents, tax spreasheets, and even MP3's in the Cloud permanently. I'm stocking up on TB-sized external HDDs while they're still available.

Sadly, it's going to take a certain number of prominent Matt Honan-type total hacks before the Cloud lemmings wake up to the dangers that they're gleefully jumping into.

--JorgeA

it's more "pretty shocking" to see how slow touch is. And this should be the future? :unsure:

After actually using Windows 8 for the first time yesterday on a non-touchy screen, I'm surprised that MS didn't implement better alternative mouse controls. When using any Modern App, the mouse behaves the same as it always has. You should be able to drag the screen around rather than having to rely on scroll bars and what not. Just go look at how the mouse behaves in Google Maps. That would have made a world of difference for non-touch if you ask me.

Yeah, mouse click+drag would be the nearest thing to "natural" finger touch+drag. Maybe the idea was too sensible for Steve, Steve, and Julie. Or maybe the idea is that real PCs are on the way out and eventually most people will be using lobotomized toy terminals, while an elite class of experts and technopriests stay on powerful machines to design and control the cyberworld for the rest of us. (Sound like a 1950s sci-fi "B" movie?)

--JorgeA

Yeah, like I'm going to leave my e-mail, documents, tax spreasheets, and even MP3's in the Cloud permanently. I'm stocking up on TB-sized external HDDs while they're still available.

Sadly, it's going to take a certain number of prominent Matt Honan-type total hacks before the Cloud lemmings wake up to the dangers that they're gleefully jumping into.

When I see someone ready to jump into the Cloud, usually friends and family but sometimes lazy clients, I asked them this about the company hosting their apps and data: "What's in it for them? How did you get so lucky to find someone willing purchase, setup and run a HDD 24/7/365, and maintains it, secures it, and makes sure it is always available to you at any ungodly hour? Now if you can imagine doing it yourself you realize there is real cost to such an arrangement: hardware purchase, electricity, and much time spent on configuration and housekeeping, not to mention failure replacement and backing up. Knowing these costs exist, I ask you again, What is in it for your cloud host?"

Typically the people fall into either of two categories, fairly logical, or terminally clueless. Unfortunately, the bulk of them are the latter and are the kinds of people that need to stick their hand into a toaster to see if it is hot. I can't help these people until it is too late. That's job security I guess. :lol: