Why you should avoid buying Windows 8

LeaflameSD

TO BE EDITED.

1.)The Metro UI.

Now Windows 8 is supposed to be a complete reimagining of the Windows platform. New ideas, new logo (WHY!?), new everything... but the base stays the same. So what I'm trying to get at is... the HORRIBLE USER INTERFACE. Why Microsoft, Why? Do you realize that not EVERYONE has touchscreen devices, DO YOU!!?? Darn... it's IE 4 all over again.

2.)Removal of useful features/apps.

They did that in Windows Vista/7 but with Windows 8 Microsoft took it to the extreme. No Start Button? WHY!? Metro is taking over my screen with all this banner and full screen crap, but for what reason? So Microsoft can get more money! No Windows Gadgets? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Edited by LeaflameSD

Now Windows 8 is supposed to be a complete reimagining of the Windows platform.

only newbies would fall for that

metro is only IE full screen UI

in other words its disaster waiting to happen :D

(ask yourself why Windows Neptune failed miserably)

Edited by vinifera

How is Neptune related to Metro? :blink:

It was just an updated and modified version of Windows 2000 RTM.

Some of the features in the MetroUI and the design paradigm in general can be seen to have their roots in Neptune, they weren't enabled by default but a couple of years back some developers found a way to enable a feature Microsoft were planning called "Activity Centers" which follow a somewhat similar paradigm to Metro.

M$ has done wrong with the removal of the start button , linux - gnome did the same month ago and it was "not a sucess" as well.

metro should not be so bad but they should have made it more like the control-panel instead of the main-screen .

for the rest M$ is really doing like nvidia and physx [ not allowed if pc has an ati vga card..] with its new security-chain from boot that makes linux or even previous windows un-bootable .

physx case is very weird because M$ allows that and even signs drivers while in fact that is a VIRUS

Windows ME, Vista and 8 are Microsoft's biggest OS failure, ME especially. 8 may have some potential but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

vista's problem was poor driver adoption at launch and poor performance at launch, the GUI was fine so as such it eventually got fixed as the issues were considered bugs, by that definition windows 8 is worse as Microsoft don't consider design choices as bugs (unless it sells poorly) early indications are tho is windows 8 will have good takeup. I am personally surprised how many people are taking it up as it doesn't offer much to desktop users over windows 7 at all, its a novelty gimmick for people to play with on the GUI changes.

I am sticking with windows 7 but I do fear the fast drop of software support for the OS, Microsoft already indicating no SP2 for it, and 3rd party vendors I think will flock to windows 8.

So for that reason incase I am forced to change OS I am already looking to make windows 8 useable with 3rd party apps like start is back although the start menu it recovers does not behave the same as windows 7, eg. I don't see apps I am launching appearing in the recently used apps list automatically. Plus is still other issues such as dumbing down of explorer, themes and so on.

Couple of reasons I think windows 8 is getting better takeup than vista.

1 - Microsoft got the media onside, I rarely see a big media outlet saying something bad about the OS.

2 - Developers are onside by default as the app store be great for them to sell their apps and that it be used on phones also is another outlet for them. On my android eg. I can see 3rd party developers doing very well, most of development now days is on mobile apps. So clearly developers will consider windows 8 a good thing.

Edited by Chrysalis

Windows ME, Vista and 8 are Microsoft's biggest OS failure, ME especially. 8 may have some potential but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

IMHO Vista is better than 8, definitely nicer and cooler despite the fact it's a little slower on old hardware.