Microsoft has no plans for a second Windows 7 Service Pack

Bingo. WinSxS gets too bloated over time even if you exclude the hard links. This is why XPwasmyIdea. thumbup.gif I cannot tolerate disk eating monster operating systems and Windows 7 needs SP2 some day just as much as Vista needs SP3. sad.gif People's 32 GB Windows 8 tablets are also going to fill up fast with WinSxS and extremely bloated 250 MB Solitaire, Mahjong games on the Windows Store when installed..laugh.gif

it depends on the way you install the updates. My Installer is always fast. But the users who install with WindowsUpdate are in trouble. I've installed a fresh Win7 with Sp1 included and I had to install nearly 100 updates. This took some time. Imagine how long it takes in 2018 when you have to install 500 Updates :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

And for Win8, here you can now remove all replaced updates:

http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1015509

So the WinSxS folder NO longer grows that much.

I understand Andre but convenience is what I prefer. Your update installer is excellent but not all encompassing of all released updates. I wish Windows 7 had that superseded updates cleanup ability. Windows 8 is a deal-breaking OS in many aspects. I will move to it only out of compulsion. :(

It's probably an automatic message added by that Board Express application :whistle:

Sure :), I know, the IPad and the blackberry do the same and it is considered (by me and a few other people around) a form of "netiquette" to remove it as it:

1. senselessly "promotes" the device/application (and you don't get any money for it)
  2. could (though this is specifically not the case for a Lumia 900 :whistle: ) cause a sense of "envy" to the readers that would like (but cannot afford) a "desirable" item

Think a bit about it, when you send a letter (a real, handwritten, paper letter), do you actually write on it below your signature:

Written with a Parker pen on paper from Staples, delivered through Royal Mail

:unsure:

When you take your mom somewhere, do you put on her back a sign ;):

Brought here on a Ford Fiesta through roads and streets mantained by the City Council of xyz

jaclaz

Microsoft has never extended a product's supportability lifecycle due to a service pack.

sorry but I disagree

XP SP0, SP1 and 2 are gone from any support

Vista SP 0 and 1 same

by support I mean hotfixes and telphone help/support

Microsoft's support for the product itself does not change, but support for older service packs are indeed dropped because you should always be running the latest service pack supported to continue to get security hotfixes. My statement still stands - Microsoft has not altered a product's supportability lifecycle due to a service pack. Do not misconstrue a product (Windows XP) with a service pack - Microsoft supports older service packs on a "best effort" basis, but if the problem you call in about is fixed in an update included in a later service pack, you will be told to upgrade. Hence, if you're having issues you should always get on the latest service pack and then update the box before tshooting anyway.

I'm not surprised at all.

Microsoft have now realised that Apps are the way to go and they are trying to move into Apple's arena.

If they could I'm sure they would forget about Windows 7 completely because it is now obsolete in their big plans for apps and tablets etc..

As much as I find it annoying that there are over 200mb of updates, I can understand why Microsoft are doing this.. Sooner they forget Windows 7 and move people onto Windows 8 and app stores etc the better..

That's where the future is... Apps.... They know it and Apple knew it a few years ago.

XP is used because it isn't broken, most enterprises still use old apps, and upgrades cost money. It has nothing to do with the technical merits of XP versus Windows 7 or Windows 8, it's a fiscal decision. It's cheaper for them (until 2014, anyway) to upgrade at the cheapest pace possible, and that might include not at all.